The Workbench

2011 Gretsch G6136-LTD pickup swap

Ok, I am contemplating dropping normal size Filters in my Falcon that came equipped with Gretsch Dyna's. I have tried the route of replacing the Dyna's with TV Jones Dyna-sized classic filters ..... but I don't feel they sound the same as the full size version. I am basing this off of head to head comparison between a Black Falcon with standard TV Jones Filters and the White with the TVJ Dyna-sized Filters. I thought of seeing if anyone wanted to work a trade for another White Falcon with standard filters, but then I would lose the Winged Grestch logo on the headstock and block inlays on the board(neither of which I want to lose)! I like the lacquer finish as well .....

So, what kind of a headache is this task going to be? Or is it even possible without having gaps showing? I am not worried about the wiring as I've done that type of stuff hundreds of times before. Also, not worried about drilling a hole to add the ever popular Mud Switch next to the pickup selector switch. What does have me sweating is inlarging the pickup holes, lol.

Consider a double cut. Mine is a 2011 model and has everything you stated with HS Filtertrons.

Filtertrons with their plastic rings have a bigger footprint than Dynasonics, so no gaps with a conversion. You'll need to cut into the top and cut into the top bracing. If you aren't comfortable doing this, any competent tech can.

'Ever popular mud switch' ? Uggghhhh... and certainly not a good idea (IMO) to drill a hole for one.. Value will suffer severely.

And HS Filtertrons are not fantastic IMO. Good, granted, but not amazing.

Sorry to critique so much.

ritchie bg

I bet plenty of people would want the guitar you already have. You may want to consider selling it to get the White Falcon with Filtertrons that you really want.

Filtertrons with their plastic rings have a bigger footprint than Dynasonics, so no gaps with a conversion. You'll need to cut into the top and cut into the top bracing. If you aren't comfortable doing this, any competent tech can.

– lx

I don't mean to go off topic. Conversely. I have a new 6120 with Filtertrons and if I wanted to change to Dynasonics, does it mean that footprint is too big and it would not work or look right? TVJ says no problem with their products but I was more intrested in the Gretsch Dynas.

I bet plenty of people would want the guitar you already have. You may want to consider selling it to get the White Falcon with Filtertrons that you really want.

– BuddyHollywood

I agree, especially if this is an LDS model which I am assuming.

have a new 6120 with Filtertrons and if I wanted to change to Dynasonics, does it mean that footprint is too big and it would not work or look right?

Well...I wouldn't do that. There's an actual difference in construction - ie, the height of the neck set - between guitars slated for Dynasonics and those for Filter'Trons. On Gretschs, the pickup configuration and body construction are kinda married to each other, and changing the pickups from Dynas to Filters - or vice versa - does some violence to the character of the guitar.

Nother words, a Gretsch with Dynas and what looks like the same Gretsch with Filter'Trons are really two different guitars. It does some damage to the value of either to mod the body for the other pickup type; it's better to offload the one you don't want for the one you do. (Or better yet, have one of each. They truly are different enough.) If you're determined to go ahead, it seems much smarter to me to go with TV's non-invasive options, which are engineered to make the conversion work as well as possible.

Also, there's nothing terribly special about Gretsch's Dynasonics. While I find them perfectly wonderful in a full deep hollowbody, in anything thinner-bodied I prefer a T-Armond or Seymour Duncan Dyna. To be simplistic about it, they have just enough more output to give the pickups the depth and body of tone they need to go with the high-end. Too-weak Dynas have a thin and spiky character; some may love it, but I much prefer the fatter versions.

Anyway. Going from Dyna to Filter'Tron (or vice versa) is not like swapping humbucker for a different humbucker, or even like mixing Strat and Tele pickups. You're really not swapping the pickups, you're swapping the guitars.

So...might as well just actually swap the guitars.

(Swap a Filter'Tron to another Filter'Tron variant? No problem at all.)

Proteus, I have considered getting a Dyna equipped Gretsch but I figured that it would be less expensive. Also considered swaping Filters too, but that twang, what can I say. Again thank you for your detailed response. I have no questions.

Register Sign in to join the conversation