The Workbench

1968 drip edge Twin Reverb

This is the first time I’ve noticed a slight upward slant on a Fender baffle. Gibson Crestline cabs all did this. Haven’t seen this on a Fender before.

Finger joints showing thru the Tolex. The joints on this cab are definitely loose, allowing the cab to cant side to side. I’m gonna soak the inside corners with some Chair Doctor. Should tighten it up considerably.

You're a Life Saver....

Stooging around inside Tube Amps is crazy.

I recommend working on amps with the same apprensive enthusiasm that I encourage kiteboarding or performing a brake job on your own car. If you learn the steps, heed the warnings and pay attention its fun and rewarding. If not, someone can get hurt. Fast.

If you’re not confident, don’t hook your harness into that kite.

Did you see an Extension Cabinet? The 16 Ohm pair is a called "strike two".

Did you see an Extension Cabinet? The 16 Ohm pair is a called "strike two".

– Twangmeisternyc

Nope. Admittedly I’m not an expert on Twins. Do they commonly run an 8 ohm speaker load?

4 ohms. Running 8 ohms pushes it harder, makes a different Mid-heavy tone.

Not sure how far you can push it before something gives...

Probably painfully LOUD!

Ive never bought a new Twin. So what I think I’m asking is, with a 4 ohm load total and the provisional second speaker jack in the rear panel, did Fender ship amps with an internal 8 ohm speaker load? They must have.

Twins have always been (excepting those 80's Twin heads) two 12" eight ohm speakers in parallel for a 4 ohm load.

They're tolerant of a 2 ohm load, but I'd never push them into dirt with an 8 ohm (or higher) load.

Or, if you knew you wanted an Extension cabinet, you would need to switch to a pair of 16 ohm, seeking 8 ohms from them, then again another 8 ohm single or 16 ohm pair in the Extension.

The Schematic doesn't set the terms and conditions, just seeking a mid-point 4 ohm load.

The iron in these beasts should be rather rugged....going from 4 to 8 might get "honky" with a mid-tonal character, but not going to burn anything out. And then add in how the NFB loop is minimizing ill effects in that combination...

AA270 schematic?

http://ampwares.com/schemat...

Twins have always been (excepting those 80's Twin heads) two 12" eight ohm speakers in parallel for a 4 ohm load.

They're tolerant of a 2 ohm load, but I'd never push them into dirt with an 8 ohm (or higher) load.

– Kap'n

Thanks. Interestingly, the two people I know that gig with a Twin got back to me and they both have a pair of 16 ohm speakers inside.

Thanks. Interestingly, the two people I know that gig with a Twin got back to me and they both have a pair of 16 ohm speakers inside.

– Powdog

Weird. Must be replacements.

The only "16 ohm" speakers I know of that could be in there stock would be JBLs. Back in the day, they only made 8 ohm speakers, and labeled them both 8 and 16 ohms. Later they labeled them "8-16 ohms." This was from Harvey Gerst, who worked there in the day.

As a general rule, all classic era Fenders used 8 ohm speakers. The exceptions being the Champ (4 or 3.2), the Bassman 10 (32 ohm) and I think the early 60's brown Vibrasonic - which might have had one of those funny "16 ohm" JBLs, but the OT was a 16 ohm. Not positive on that one.

Drip edge refers to the aluminum edge around the grill cloth.

It was there to keep the blood from guitarists' bleeding ears from trickling down and ruining the grillecloth when they bent to turn up the treble to overcome their volume-induced deafness.

– Proteus

You can bet this was loud. I used it in Austin back in 1980. Check out those huge EVOs.

S Mac

Register Sign in to join the conversation