The Workbench

1968 drip edge Twin Reverb

Just picked up a ‘68 Twin in Reno for repairs. Classic tremolo tick. Easy peasy.

Super cool drip edge Fender amp. I’ll show pics of the guts when I get there.

One of the all time best amps ever. I have its baby brother, a '66 Pro Reverb.

What does the term drip edge mean?

Look at the aluminum trim around the grill. That was only used for a year or two and they call it the drip edge.

Drip edge refers to the aluminum edge around the grill cloth.

Cool. I just thought it was silver piping.

My Twin has the tick. Is it super easy? Could I do it myself? Would I have to do the scary cap draining thing?

It was there to keep the blood from guitarists' bleeding ears from trickling down and ruining the grillecloth when they bent to turn up the treble to overcome their volume-induced deafness.

It was there to keep the blood from guitarists' bleeding ears from trickling down and ruining the grillecloth when they bent to turn up the treble to overcome their volume-induced deafness.

– Proteus

Ha! Gotta be honest, I’ve never liked Twins. Even a gem like this. I’d trade this for a nice BFPR any day. I’m just fixing this for a friend.

My Twin has the tick. Is it super easy? Could I do it myself? Would I have to do the scary cap draining thing?

– hilosean

If you can replace a garbage disposal or rebuild a starter motor you can surely fix a trem tick. Same logic. Draining filter caps is simple. If it doesn’t sound simple, don’t attempt it. Lots of stored high voltage.

It ain’t scientism.

If you can replace a garbage disposal or rebuild a starter motor you can surely fix a trem tick. Same logic. Draining filter caps is simple. If it doesn’t sound simple, don’t attempt it. Lots of stored high voltage.

It ain’t scientism.

– Powdog

I can do that. You haven't made any video on it, have you?

Great Amp, I sold my old 68 to Merle Haggard's son, Ben. I brought it up to their Sound check and their Tech spent quite a while checking it out to see if it had been altered, especially concerned if it had been "Dumble'd". I've always wondered what He meant by that . I understand what a Dumble Amp is, but what were they looking for?

Well, first impression is just plain “wow”! This amp is completely virginal. Super clean and shiny. I wouldn’t be surprised if this has never been opened up.

Not a spec of rust.

Power tubes are a nice set of the last Aspen Pitman Groove Tubes assembled in Sylmar Cali from old GE parts and tooling.

One downside, someone replaced the original speakers with a pair of 80’s 16 ohm Eminence EM-20s. I think Twins should be running a 4 ohm speaker load. Unless an extension cab is being used, I would probably swap in a pair of 8 ohm speakers

Original filter bank intact. I played thru this amp before taking it back to Cool. The only thing I noticed was some shot noise from all the carbon resistors.

Actually, some dope has been inside this amp. Replaced the power cord with a grounded three conductor plug but didn’t connect the ground wire inside the amp.

Man, that IS clean! Can tell it wasn't stored in some damp basement..

The 470R screen grid resistors are all dark and bubbly. Good thing to replace while I’m in here.

Actually, some dope has been inside this amp. Replaced the power cord with a grounded three conductor plug but didn’t connect the ground wire inside the amp.

– Powdog

Actually, some dope has been inside this amp. Replaced the power cord with a grounded three conductor plug but didn’t connect the ground wire inside the amp

Doh! I don't even see the ground wire inside the cabinet. Did they cut it off ?

I can do that. You haven't made any video on it, have you?

– hilosean

hilosean, if you’re planning on doing your amp repair you should make one of these. This is how I drain the filter cap bank. Solder a 220K 2 or 3 watt resistor in the middle of a section of wire (600 volt test is safe). Solder two alligator clamps on either end, then insulate all exposed metal with shrink wrap tubing.

Connect one clamp to the chassis and the other to one of the filter cap’s + positive leads. All the filters are connected so you really don’t have to repeat this with each cap. Just leave it connected for 5 minutes or so. They drain pretty quickly.

Actually, some dope has been inside this amp. Replaced the power cord with a grounded three conductor plug but didn’t connect the ground wire inside the amp

Doh! I don't even see the ground wire inside the cabinet. Did they cut it off ?

– Metman

Yep. Death cap is still there though.

Register Sign in to join the conversation