Gretsch Garage Sale

WTB: Gretsch Headstock Laminate

I'm looking to finish this project Streamliner, and I think it'll look a whole lot cleaner if I replace the laminate rather than repair it..

Someone(let's assume it's RJE) bedazzled this guitar, and the headstock and the upper neck look worse for it. I want to make it right. Anyone have a laminate that matches this(It's off a '57 Streamliner) and wants to off load it, it'd be appreciated.

I can see why you'd want to fix that. Makes you wonder just what went thru someone's mind to do that. Personalizing a guitar is one thing. Doing it poorly is another. Good luck.

I'm betting he thought it would look a lot better than it turned out, originally.

I have my old L-1 out for some restoration.

I had saved "The Gibson" inlay when it became apparent the veneer on the Headstock was disintegrating and time to be removed. The Luthier made a new piece of veneer with a shaped cut-out, and is using "dust" to surround the lettering and fill.

We'll see how it turns out, but you might save the inlay pieces should this be an option for you.

I should have the guitar back any day now.

I liked this look, but the restoration will certainly make my 103yo happy for years to come.

Not sure why, but I believe I've seen that exact "badly bedazzled" headstock before.

Not sure why, but I believe I've seen that exact "badly bedazzled" headstock before.

– 949Norm

Oh, probably.

Before the crash, perhaps, I found it, but I don't have any pictures with the jewels in there.

It really was spectacular. I thought that maybe, it belonged to one of the royals. ;)

I'll bet Curt could unbedazzle that and you'd never know it was there.

That the logo inlays are intact is a good thing.

That's celluloid as soon as you remove it it will shrink. (no don't even go there)

It's two ply so if you know an engraver all they have to do is engrave through the black.

I have a Streamliner overlay you can have! email me.

I have a Streamliner overlay you can have! email me.

– kc_eddie_b

Wha...????

Ed, I'm making you waffles and cucumber water!

That's celluloid as soon as you remove it it will shrink. (no don't even go there)

It's two ply so if you know an engraver all they have to do is engrave through the black.

– Curt Wilson

I was thinking spackling the holes and repainting, not removing it. That’s why I’m not paid (well) to think.

Wha...????

Ed, I'm making you waffles and cucumber water!

– crowbone

No worries... I bought it in the mist of my love affair with the Streamliner model ten years ago. As with many of my love affairs I've moved on to other passions, so the headstock overlay is yours. I just have to dig up my parts box which is in one of the many boxes I have yet to unpack...

Ed, that reminds me...do you still have this one?

photo Streamlineroverlay2.jpg

Paul... I think I do! Or at least until I send it to crowbone.

Paul, are you looking to make a copy of it?

FOUND IT!!

– kc_eddie_b

Man, that made my weekend.

For real!

Thanks again, Ed.

I’ve already had that one in my hands. Ed sent it to me years ago and I made some copies...not exact but close.

Good to know, Paul.

Thanks.

Here’s to hoping it didn’t shrink too much and that you can stretch it a bit to make it fit.

Register Sign in to join the conversation