Gretsch Garage Sale

WTB: Gretsch G400JV Jimmie Vaughan Synchromatic

hi - I've just come across this post. I have one, which I've just put on eBay. It was my father's guitar, mint condition, but I just don't use it. Apologies if this is not something I should link to here. Guitar is in Ireland. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1323...

hi - I've just come across this post. I have one, which I've just put on eBay. It was my father's guitar, mint condition, but I just don't use it. Apologies if this is not something I should link to here. Guitar is in Ireland. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1323...

– jpma

Welcome to all things Gretsch! This is indeed something that should be linked to here. You could try sending a PM to the fellow looking for one of these guitars. Just click on his name and go from there. Hopefully the PM system is working fine and he gets the message.

Sorry, I ended up finding one and forgot to take down the post. Beautiful guitar though that you have for sale. I would not be surprised if someone else here is interested in grabbing it.

Sorry, I ended up finding one and forgot to take down the post. Beautiful guitar though that you have for sale. I would not be surprised if someone else here is interested in grabbing it.

– BuckyBoy

We don't take down a post like you do an ad on say CL. You just edit the heading saying it's sold and perhaps a little blurb about what you found. The information within the thread is valuable for future reference.

Glad you found what you wanted.

Glad you found one!

I'm in the njbob camp. They're beautiful, but too damn big for me.

Some other fellows have mentioned on other threads from time to time that for a variety of reasons, 17" wide & full depth body archtops are uncomfortable to play. I'm fortunate to not have any comfort issues and enjoy these lovely big archtops. Even the D'Angelicos with their 18" wide bodies aren't uncomfortable for me.

In my case, I have a bit more of an issue with the longer scale for some certain stretches and of course I really prefer the slightly wider neck.

Different strokes and all that....

It all depends on what you're used to playing. As a player of dreadnuaght size guitars for many decades, my Tele seemed kind of cute and tiny when I first got it. Electric guitars with deep and wide hollow bodies seem quite normal to me. It just depends on what feels familiar to you.

Some guys might tell you to quit being such wimps and play a man's guitar. That would be wrong.

Edit: There should be a winking emoji with this, but I can't seem to make it appear in the post.

The winking emoj hasn't worked for a number of years now. Why did it survive the crash and all the info didn't??

You make a good point regarding what you're used to. I began with a student size Framus acoustic then bought a Hagstrom II electric which is a small solidbody. Got a dreadnaught in the late '70's and then the '64 Gretsch Gent in the early '90's. Loved the big bodies ever since!

I loved the idea of these, but never saw one in person.

I am willing to suffer for the size but would want a used one because I would want to cleat the bottom of the "cat-eye" soundholes immediately.

I can not imagine a better way to get wood to crack than a solid top with cat-eyes.

If I ever saw one in person I would hand over the largesse immediately though. I am sure.

Then rush to the workshop and install cleats.

Or maybe glass cloth at the cat-eye sharp ends.

Hmmmmm,...

Register Sign in to join the conversation