Gretsch Garage Sale

WTB chopped Bigsby B16

What a kool lookin hot rod that is...dang

What a kool lookin hot rod that is...dang

– DCBirdMan

Everything TK Smith has a hand in turns out glorious.

I will be happy if mine turns out 1/2 as cool

Chopped by Jayce Mumford in Australia.

Shipped! Well, that was fun. I think I’ll clean out my extra parts drawer...see what else I can sell.

I chopped this one about 40 years ago. The hingepiece was broken when I got it.

A little trivia for you Bigsby fans... the B5 format was actually born from "chopped" B7 units the company modified. There are a few extant specimens floating around out there from the '59/60 time-frame that show the evidence of this metamorphosis.

they feel so nice! Glad you got one. I learned from TK how to do them, and while fairly simple there is patient skill at hand in getting a professional final product.

A little trivia for you Bigsby fans... the B5 format was actually born from "chopped" B7 units the company modified. There are a few extant specimens floating around out there from the '59/60 time-frame that show the evidence of this metamorphosis.

– kc_eddie_b

Any pics you'd care to share?

Any pics you'd care to share?

– Afire

Nothing handy... but some of these earliest B5 units (made from chopped B7's) can be found on the Gibson double-necks from '59/60. Those units obviously will not have the "Bigsby" logo on the "horseshoe", but usually do display the edge that resides on the top of the indented face plate of the B7.

Cool info. I found one:

Hard to see in the compressed picture, but it has no logo and three screws along the bottom.

Register Sign in to join the conversation