Modern Gretsch Guitars

Has Gretsch ever made….

A thin 6120 ('61 style) with Dynas and western appointments? I get a little lost with all the variants that have come out in the last 20 odd years.

I assume that you're asking about a 6120 version... unless the Custom Shop tried something like that, I don't believe a 6120 with those specs has been produced (yet!).

No, I don't think so. Unless I'm overlooking something, the only standard single cutaway production 6120 to feature a body thinner than 2.5" was the 6120N, which had a Florentine cutaway and humblock inlays and horseshoe headstock, not fully western appointments.

Thin is in...

I have to say that for gigging, the thin body is very comfortable and it feels like a smaller solidbody.

No horseshoe on the 6120N.

Shame on me!

I've said this before, but I'll say it again in case Joe Carducci is listening. A '61 reissue seems like a no brainer. That 2 1/4" body is really comfortable. With all the 6120 variants, it seems like there could be a place for such a model. Like many others, maybe it would only be worth offering for a couple of years, but then they'd be out there.

I wanted to say it would be as simple as shaving 1/2" off a 6120-59LTV. But they'd also have to redesign the neck joint. But still. I'm sure they could do it. It wouldn't be the oddest thing they've done.

I wanted to say it would be as simple as shaving 1/2" off a 6120-59LTV. But they'd also have to redesign the neck joint. But still. I'm sure they could do it. It wouldn't be the oddest thing they've done. -- afire

They figured out how to do it 54 years ago. I'll bet they can figure it out again.

Paul/FF909

Register Sign in to join the conversation