Gretsch Garage Sale

WTB: 50’s B6 gold Bigsby

The aluminum does look good, but this is really the look I'm going for.......

– Gretsch59

Me too! Is this the 295 of Joel Patterson?

Please excuse me for hijacking your post. I did not intend to create such a lengthy discussion with Ed. I apologize for upsetting any of the board members who were offended by our vintage meandering. Yes, I have been looking for one of these for nearly 4 years but I should not have used your thread to reinforce this point. Sorry.........

– Gretsch59

Accepted!

Me too! Is this the 295 of Joel Patterson?

– 58dutchie

58dutchie, That it is !! One of my FAVORITE guitarists. He has so much talent and can cross over genres with nearly the same ease as the late, great Danny Gatton. Incredible talent......

Accepted!

– 58dutchie

Thanks !!!!!

Probably not of interest since it's not a 50s model, and has the carriage bolt and raised patent number... but it's a 60s example, and emulates the worn gold on the ES-295 example above.

Ed, If you ever want to part with one of your 50's Gold B6's let me know. I've got a number of 50's B6's in raw aluminum but haven't been able to find the Gold version. I have a 1953 Gibson ES-295 that desperately needs one. I have quite a few Bigsby's if you'd like to swap some gear. Please HELP me out with this. It is the final piece needed for this guitar. Thanks...........

– Gretsch59

Should be able to gold plate the ones you have, just acid wash them to remove any oxide?

Gretsch59... I can appreciate wanting a swivel arm unit, even on a '53 model year guitar. But do you think a gold one will look right on a ES-295? This one just looks so cool with the aluminum unit!

– kc_eddie_b

that guitar would look cool with anything on it.

The aluminum does look good, but this is really the look I'm going for.......

– Gretsch59

if we are just talking aesthetics. yep… the gold looks better. ebony bridge base would be better still

Probably not of interest since it's not a 50s model, and has the carriage bolt and raised patent number... but it's a 60s example, and emulates the worn gold on the ES-295 example above.

– kc_eddie_b

Ed, is this yours? Or, if not, where did you see it?

that guitar would look cool with anything on it.

– jps1965

This one was for sale about two years ago, I almost bought it. The wearing comes from a fire. But I decided not to buy it in the end because of the fixed Bigsby arm (not my kinda thing).

If you consider a reissue, I have an all gold B6 that is supposed to be from the '70s (doesn't differ a lot from the current ones as far as I understand). It is in very good condition - which is not a plus in this case I assume - and has the archtop hinge. Original gold spring, new screws. I'm in Europe, too. Here's two pics. 1

– sascha

Thanks, but that one really is too clean and shiny

Ed, is this yours? Or, if not, where did you see it?

– 58dutchie

Yes... this is mine and available. PM me.

if we are just talking aesthetics. yep… the gold looks better. ebony bridge base would be better still

– jps1965

Personal opinion I know but I disagree. I think the aluminium bigbsy looks better.., don't really like the clash of different gold tones between the bigsby and the finish.

There is a nice one on Reverb right now. Late 50s model in gold.

Register Sign in to join the conversation