Gretsch Garage Sale

WTB: 50’s B6 gold Bigsby

Hi guys, I really need a 50’s all gold Bigsby B6. Condition is not a problem. Plain bolt (60’s) is not an option. B3 is also not an option. Repro is also possible perhaps (as long as it’s an aged 50’s repro). Who has one for sale or knows where I can buy one?

The authentic 1953-1959 (50s) Bigsby B6 is distinguished from modern "aged" or relic'd by several features. The primary difference is that the patent information on the 50s unit is recessed while the modern (or post 50s) is raised. There are also some differences in the marks stamped on the reverse side, although that's not evident when the vibrato is installed on a guitar. In other words, one can easily tell a 50s B6 unit from a modern relic'd example (thankfully).

Good luck! Those are rare, and usually not cheap any more.

The authentic 1953-1959 (50s) Bigsby B6 is distinguished from modern "aged" or relic'd by several features. The primary difference is that the patent information on the 50s unit is recessed while the modern (or post 50s) is raised. There are also some differences in the marks stamped on the reverse side, although that's not evident when the vibrato is installed on a guitar. In other words, one can easily tell a 50s B6 unit from a modern relic'd example (thankfully).

– kc_eddie_b

True!

Good luck! Those are rare, and usually not cheap any more.

– WB

I know...but who knows, I might be lucky

Ed, If you ever want to part with one of your 50's Gold B6's let me know. I've got a number of 50's B6's in raw aluminum but haven't been able to find the Gold version. I have a 1953 Gibson ES-295 that desperately needs one. I have quite a few Bigsby's if you'd like to swap some gear. Please HELP me out with this. It is the final piece needed for this guitar. Thanks...........

If you think about the rarity of the gold-plated B6 units... Gretsch never used them on the 50s Chet models (or any model for that matter), and I'm thinking the Gibson applications of Bigsby units are either customer special order or after-market additions, making them uncommon. I'd be curious what the price difference might have been between the gold and raw aluminum finish B6... but it may have been another reason most units we find today are the aluminum version.

I agree with the greater amount of the Gold B6's going on to the high end Gibsons. There was a 54 Super 400 for sale here in my area a while ago that had an original Gold B6 installed. If you also look at some of Semi Moseley's customs that he produced in the 50's there also seems tpo have been a large number of the Gold ones.

I agree with the greater amount of the Gold B6's going on to the high end Gibsons. There was a 54 Super 400 for sale here in my area a while ago that had an original Gold B6 installed. If you also look at some of Semi Moseley's customs that he produced in the 50's there also seems tpo have been a large number of the Gold ones.

– Gretsch59

Curious if that '54 Super 400 you mentioned had a fixed-arm B6 (since the swivel-arm wasn't introduced until 1956)? Maybe even gold anodized?

Ed, Sorry about incorrectly stating the year. The guitar was actually was a '56. This is the guitar.............

Sweet! Gold plated Duane-style (cast) handle B6. Very uncommon! Thanks for posting the photo!

Yeah.... I've been searching for one of these Gold ones for some time now. Doesn't really have to be fitted with the D.E. handle. I kinda prefer the flat handles anyway. Any help in locating one would be GREATLY appreciated !

Gretsch59... I can appreciate wanting a swivel arm unit, even on a '53 model year guitar. But do you think a gold one will look right on a ES-295? This one just looks so cool with the aluminum unit!

Wow...seems like my thread got hijacked...I’m the one who asked for a gold B6, remember?

If you consider a reissue, I have an all gold B6 that is supposed to be from the '70s (doesn't differ a lot from the current ones as far as I understand). It is in very good condition - which is not a plus in this case I assume - and has the archtop hinge. Original gold spring, new screws. I'm in Europe, too. Here's two pics. 1

P.S. Rather odd colour reflection on the gold since the wall in the room is red. I can take better ones if interested.

Wow...seems like my thread got hijacked...I’m the one who asked for a gold B6, remember?

– 58dutchie

It’s a discussion forum Andrew, and your topic initiated a discussion. The good news is that your post is getting bumped to the top of the list, so maybe somebody with a gold B6 to sell will see it!

It’s a discussion forum Andrew, and your topic initiated a discussion. The good news is that your post is getting bumped to the top of the list, so maybe somebody with a gold B6 to sell will see it!

– kc_eddie_b

Hi Ed,
I don’t think Jeroen is referring to the discussion but to the fact that Gretsch59 is advertising that he is looking for the same kind of Bigsby in Jeroen’s topic. Doesn’t seem right to me either.

Hi Ed,
I don’t think Jeroen is referring to the discussion but to the fact that Gretsch59 is advertising that he is looking for the same kind of Bigsby in Jeroen’s topic. Doesn’t seem right to me either.

– Danman

Ok you're right... I didn't even notice. I think I was just so pleased to be having a "vintage" discussion I just went with it! My apologies!

No problem guys! There are plenty of gold B6’s for all of us...

Ok you're right... I didn't even notice. I think I was just so pleased to be having a "vintage" discussion I just went with it! My apologies!

– kc_eddie_b

Nothing wrong with a good ol' vintage discussion! Although unfortunately I haven't been having enough of those lately... ; )

Please excuse me for hijacking your post. I did not intend to create such a lengthy discussion with Ed. I apologize for upsetting any of the board members who were offended by our vintage meandering. Yes, I have been looking for one of these for nearly 4 years but I should not have used your thread to reinforce this point. Sorry.........

Gretsch59... I can appreciate wanting a swivel arm unit, even on a '53 model year guitar. But do you think a gold one will look right on a ES-295? This one just looks so cool with the aluminum unit!

– kc_eddie_b

The aluminum does look good, but this is really the look I'm going for.......

Register Sign in to join the conversation