Gretsch Garage Sale

WTB: 2003 or newer G6122-1958 Chet Atkins Country Gent

Anybody in the CONUS with a 2003-ish or newer (FMIC) 6122-58 they want to unload? Had one of these before and I'm itching for another. To me, it's the perfect Gent!

If you have one to sell, please email me at bakerstreet1972 -at- hotmail.com (my PM's don't seem to work here). Thanks.

On reverb.com, over a hundred Gents are for sale, and exactly one of them is a '58 reissue:

Look carefully at those "checks" and make sure they aren't cracks

Good luck!

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

That's kind of a funky one. Being a preFMIC, the body shape is different, along with the tuning machines. No brass nut or aged binding.

I would think that it's safe to say that it doesn't have trestle bracing either.

All this may or may not be an issue to a perspective buyer for the asking price.

I looked at that one also. I contacted the seller who was very open and honest. He said the "checks" were surface scratches that didn't go through the finish. There was one other 1958 RI for sale (they are hard to find) at the time, which was a 2005, one owner, cool history, and I snagged that one.

I love the guitar. It plays well and sounds terrific.

I decided to go with the 2005 on the advice of GDPer Tartan Phantom, and I haven't regretted it for a minute.

Good luck in your decision making!

That's kind of a funky one. Being a preFMIC, the body shape is different, along with the tuning machines. No brass nut or aged binding.

I would think that it's safe to say that it doesn't have trestle bracing either.

All this may or may not be an issue to a perspective buyer for the asking price.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

J(ust an old cowboy)D nailed it....that's exactly the guitar I DON'T want, hence looking for a post Fender model.

Dang, I didn't notice the year. Sorry about that! Probably weights 10 pounds, too.

Yeah, pass on it for sure.

Paul/FF909

J(ust an old cowboy)D nailed it....that's exactly the guitar I DON'T want, hence looking for a post Fender model.

– flatwoundup

I have to agree with you FW, that given the number of gents of all sorts on the market, a pre-FMIC model would have to be an irresistible price to not keep looking for the post-FMIC model you want.

I'm with you, FW. I've been jonesing for one of these ever since I took notice of this model in Crazy Heart. I've even been entertaining the idea of swapping my Penguin for one.

Wasn't the guitar in Crazy Heart a 6122-59 model?

– James Hopkins

Yep, -59.

I was fortunate enough to own both the -58 and -59 at the same time. Both were beautiful instruments, and each had their own interesting specs/features.

I just couldn't bond with the -59's neck. It wasn't the long scale or the extra width. The feel of the neck in my hands was just not comfortable. I came to the conclusion that the neck profile was just too thin for me.

I tried and tried to get along with it, as having both guitars would have been heaven.

The -59 was sold, and I still happily play the -58. TV's Ray Butts are on the radar for the -58. They should be just right in this sweetheart.

Yep, -59.

I was fortunate enough to own both the -58 and -59 at the same time. Both were beautiful instruments, and each had their own interesting specs/features.

I just couldn't bond with the -59's neck. It wasn't the long scale or the extra width. The feel of the neck in my hands was just not comfortable. I came to the conclusion that the neck profile was just too thin for me.

I tried and tried to get along with it, as having both guitars would have been heaven.

The -59 was sold, and I still happily play the -58. TV's Ray Butts are on the radar for the -58. They should be just right in this sweetheart.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I'm interested JD, what style of music do you play that the '59's thinner neck makes it uncomfortable for your left hand?

I'm interested JD, what style of music do you play that the '59's thinner neck makes it uncomfortable for your left hand?

– Windsordave

Hey Dave, mostly "stuff" that's between my ears. Mostly my own stuff, which leans more towards C&W, but some R&R.

I don't (can't) finger pick, but the biggest issue I have with "thin" necks is hand/wrist cramping.

It only took about 15 minutes on the -59 to have my hand hurting/cramping. Not so on the -58.

A neck that is chunkier/fatter generally feels better on my hand, regardless of the scale length. That said, I like the comfort of the 9.5" radius on my Phoenix.

Another neck that I love, and is probably my favorite, is the Gretsch "Vintage V" like on the 6120 LTV's. I can play on these all night long.

It just seemed that the -59's 12" radius, a little wider neck, and being thin, just turned into playing hell, comfort wise, quite quickly.

I tried to work with it, but just couldn't.

– James Hopkins

I stand corrected and yet I think I’d be happy with either.

Hey Dave, mostly "stuff" that's between my ears. Mostly my own stuff, which leans more towards C&W, but some R&R.

I don't (can't) finger pick, but the biggest issue I have with "thin" necks is hand/wrist cramping.

It only took about 15 minutes on the -59 to have my hand hurting/cramping. Not so on the -58.

A neck that is chunkier/fatter generally feels better on my hand, regardless of the scale length. That said, I like the comfort of the 9.5" radius on my Phoenix.

Another neck that I love, and is probably my favorite, is the Gretsch "Vintage V" like on the 6120 LTV's. I can play on these all night long.

It just seemed that the -59's 12" radius, a little wider neck, and being thin, just turned into playing hell, comfort wise, quite quickly.

I tried to work with it, but just couldn't.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Thanks for the eloquent explanation JD! Everything you mention about the neck that bothers your left is precisely what I need in a neck.....the "another man's trash...." scenario for you and I!

I like a V-neck too, but again, shallow vs deep. Going between guitars, scale length isn't an issue for me although some stretches on the Gibson Gent are harder in the first position. As I explained in an earlier thread from the neck's author article in Premier Guitar, it isn't the neck's width that's an issue but the neck's total mass, regardless of what the profile is, as the distance from the tip of the thumb along the skin and up to the tip of the index finger that determines what your hand can handle. Besides the wider neck, slim - shallow C-profile - and flatter profile - 12" or higher - radius, wide & low - .035" frets I need the low E closer to the edge of the binding - frets have to extend across the binding to the outer edge - than any guitar comes with. It would cost me a small fortune in mods to 'fix' a newer guitar to suit me so I've always avoided them. Of course you can't make a neck wider but the other 'needs' are possible, just expensive.

Your needs for what the neck has to be and my needs is the perfect example of "different strokes for different folks." All left hands are not created equal.

Yep, you're right Dave. Throw all the neck specs together, and it'll either feel good or it won't.

Age has something to do with it too, at least it does for me. The digits aren't as limber and the wrist let's me know that they're still there! Lol

I will say that the more I play now, they stay looser, so the obvious is there for me........play all that I can, and retirement has given me the extra time to do that.

Great to have more choices now, and to be aware of what feels right. Hated to part with that -59, but I could smile at it longer, than playing it and smiling.

Register Sign in to join the conversation