Gretsch Garage Sale

WANTED! Country Gentleman, Nashville Classic…G6122T-59

Hi Gretschers all! Thanks to your advice earlier in the year - or was it late last - and a bit of listening around, my preferred choice is now a 6122-59 from 2003 or later iterations. Due to some most annoying car repairs budget has shrunk to some 16-1800$. So if you know any...Europe or Canada preferred for customs reasons, but any other offers welcome still. Thanks for looking around and putting word out on my behalf!

Excellent choice is all I can say. I have a 2004 version with Paul Yandell's signature on the back of the headstock even, that is not for sale, and won't be, at least in my lifetime. But, if you read in the obituaries someday that I have traveled to a far brighter land, then your best bet would be to contact my daughter, not my son, as he has a sentimental streak that is going to be hard to overcome when it comes to disposing of my rather modest collection. Half joking, and half serious here.

Good luck in your search. The 6122-1959 is an excellent guitar in so many ways. It has been my go to ax since I first bought it in 2004.

Good choice. I have a 2005 model (not for sale). I like my guitars but have to say that there’s something special about this one. The feel of the neck, the way the body fits on my lap (I usually play sitting down), the perfect angle and reach of the Chet wire and, of course, the tone. I am not even a finger picker, but this guitar and the sum of its parts just seems to stand out. Good luck finding one.

Thanks for the encouragement! It seems easier to get a 58 model in my price range than the 59. I sense a conspiracy....

The 58 model is nice and doesn’t appear to come up for sale much here. They could be one of Gretsch’s best kept secrets.

Thanks for the encouragement! It seems easier to get a 58 model in my price range than the 59. I sense a conspiracy....

– Doublefrench

If it's important to you to have the wider - 1.75" - neck, only the '59 has it (also the orange HOF version of this guitar). The '58 has the 'normal' width neck and control array.

The '58 and '59 are very different guitars in build, appearance, and tone. Both great guitars. But the '58 is a 24.6" deep body (at least 3", maybe 3.25") [CORRECTION, per below - 2.75"], as Dave says with the standard-width nut, and stock with Hi-Sensitive Filter'Trons rather than TV Jones. I agree that it's an underrated guitar; you just gotta understand it for what it is.

The '59 is 25.5" scale, 2" body with unique bracing specific to that build, the wider nut, the TV Jones pups, the Chet arm, etc. They continue to list the color as walnut, but it's a rich deep dark red. (Yah, unless you get the orange one.) To those of us who believe in it, it's the ultimate marriage of articulation, warmth, body, and presence - perfectly tonally balanced. It's the grand piano of Gents. (And more a classic Steinway than one of the over-bright modern grands.)

It's not the only guitar whose spec and build are perfect - but it's one of them. If that's the one you want, there is no substitute.

Thanks for the correction. Despite occasional appearances, I don't like to spread inaccurate hoo-hah.

The '58 always looks and feels pretty deep to me. Maybe I'm shrinking.

Thanks for the correction. Despite occasional appearances, I don't like to spread inaccurate hoo-hah.

The '58 always looks and feels pretty deep to me. Maybe I'm shrinking.

– Proteus

Having had both at the same time, I can say that the -58 sure does feel a whole lot deeper.

Hard to believe what 3/4" can do, feeling wise, but the -58 felt big, while the -59 felt skinny.

The 6122-59 really is a fabulous guitar particularly if you want the wider neck.
I swapped out the pups for TV Jones T-Armonds and (for me anyway) this took the guitar to a different planet!

But don't the wide neck ones have the 25.5 scale?? Would be a deal break for me even ho I am eaten uip wiith 1 3/4" necks

Friends, I got one! G6122T-59 Vintage Select Edition '59 Chet Atkins® Country Gentleman® Hollow Body with Bigsby®, TV Jones®, Tiger Flame Maple, Walnut Stain Lacquer A cousin found one for me....only I am out of the country for a few months, so I have to wait. What agony! Still, I am elated!

Friends, I got one! G6122T-59 Vintage Select Edition '59 Chet Atkins® Country Gentleman® Hollow Body with Bigsby®, TV Jones®, Tiger Flame Maple, Walnut Stain Lacquer A cousin found one for me....only I am out of the country for a few months, so I have to wait. What agony! Still, I am elated!

– Doublefrench

Congratulations and enjoy your wonderful guitar!! I have owned my 6122-'59 for almost 11 years and still love it the way I did on Day #1. It still ranks as the best guitar I've ever owned/played, and that covers a span of over 6 decades (I'm old).

Happy days are here again. You're gonna love the way your guitar plays.

Congrats! It will be worth the wait.

db62 - yours looks great.

Congratulations, hope to see some pics when you're able.

Of course the waiting is killing me....once I get my stubby fingers on her I’ll post pics first thing! Already looking for a suitable amp. My Ibanez Promethean bass thingy won’t do her justice. Thinking of a sixties tube sound. Any ideas - preferably now for a smaller budget?

Excellent choice is all I can say. I have a 2004 version with Paul Yandell's signature on the back of the headstock even, that is not for sale, and won't be, at least in my lifetime. But, if you read in the obituaries someday that I have traveled to a far brighter land, then your best bet would be to contact my daughter, not my son, as he has a sentimental streak that is going to be hard to overcome when it comes to disposing of my rather modest collection. Half joking, and half serious here.

Good luck in your search. The 6122-1959 is an excellent guitar in so many ways. It has been my go to ax since I first bought it in 2004.

– Richard Hudson

....The 6122-1959 is an excellent guitar in so many ways. It has been my go to ax since I first bought it in 2004...

I think mine is one of the first ones built in 2018. which strings would you recommend, in case I need to replace the ones fitted?

which strings would you recommend, in case I need to replace the ones fitted?

I've been using Thomastik-Infeld flat-wound .010's -- probably since the time I bought my '59. They are expensive but they last a LOT longer than others.

Strings are subjective. I think the guitar actually comes with 11's on it. I have always used 10-46, with a wound G. So at least that will give you a starting point until you settle on what suits you. If you can find a good used one, the little Music Man amps are a pretty good fit for that guitar. Something like a 112RD50 is a good compromise. 12" speaker, 50 watts.

Thanks for pointing out that amp. I haven’t heard about that one before. Interesting and quite encouraging reviews there. Although in the same price bracket might favor the Fender Deluxe Reverb 6t reissue. Seems to give me a few more options

Register Sign in to join the conversation