Gretsch Garage Sale

Unloading 1959 Gretsch Guitar and 1965 Ampeg amp.

If the Canadian dollar didn't suck I would be all over this! Someone buy this. A neck reset is a bonus provided it was done by a good luther.

What is the neck profile like, thin, medium or big? Would you be up for a trade or a trade + cash? I would love to hear this guitar in action.

I just went to buy it and it is sold... the Gemini, that is

I'd like to ask a few questions about the '59 Annie. The models I've seen before had a tone switch (mud switch). This one does not. Why?

Is the body thickness 2.5 " like a 1960 or 2.75 like a 50s model. The serial number might clear this up.

The fretboard looks more rosewood than ebony, also something that happened in 1960, according to the info page on this site.

I'm still thinking about it.

I'd like to ask a few questions about the '59 Annie. The models I've seen before had a tone switch (mud switch). This one does not. Why?

Is the body thickness 2.5 " like a 1960 or 2.75 like a 50s model. The serial number might clear this up.

The fretboard looks more rosewood than ebony, also something that happened in 1960, according to the info page on this site.

I'm still thinking about it.

– Bob Howard

I'm guessing it was a single Annie, which had only a mud switch. This was likely replaced by a selector switch by whomever did the two-pickup conversion.

That's what I'm thinking. That leads me to another question. What do the two lower bout knobs do?

Are they two tone knobs, one for each pickup?

Are they a volume knob for each pickup (this would be my choice, leaving the mud switch)...

...or are they one tone knob and one volume knob and if so, for which pickup.

I'll trade you for a 70s Marshall 50 watt JMP master lead head and same era Orange cab! Both with lots of showing their age "character"!

I think Otter is right - a single Anniversary converted to a double with the mud switch changed to a pickup selector.

Had it originally been a double there would have been two switches and the knob locations would have been slightly different - slightly further towards the neck end of the body.

Shame the original Filtertron is gone but maybe the DeArmond types sound just as good in their own way and the next owner could maybe find a set of vintage Filters or install some repros if preferred. The guitar itself looks in great shape.

Register Sign in to join the conversation