Gretsch Garage Sale

Sold!

The slightest bit of wear can be seen here, and that may wipe off.

I didnt use cleaner or detergent on it, just a quick wipe with a cloth.

Really love the feel of those Classic Vibe Teles. Somebody's getting a beaut!

I've wanted one. I certainly don't need one. Though you know...it might work toward a trade for the P90 50s Tribulation Lester Polfuss.

Can't believe I missed this. If I didn't spend so much on my kids for Christmas I would grab it. If it's still available in a few months I might. I bought a drum kit for my daughter.

I've wanted one. I certainly don't need one. Though you know...it might work toward a trade for the P90 50s Tribulation Lester Polfuss.

– Proteus

And I'd be willing to talk to you, perhaps abscond a certain Russian guitar for you... Well, probably not at this point.

Nice Tele... and great value! I just happened to scratch my Tele itch last month, so I'm good there. But there is a certain gold plated Bigsby I'm still interested in if you're looking to realize a little pre-Christmas wind-fall. (can't blame me for trying!)

Well, who can blame a man for trying? What are you if you don't try? I still am stuck on the idea of keeping it together, but don't let my lack of parting out make your Christmas any less merry.

Happy Holidays!

Cool Tele, and love the bridge cover!

I have an original 1972 Strat bridge cover, spare spring, and Allen wrench from a Strat I purchased back then. You don't see too many of them around.

I was surprised it came with that.

Although it looks great on the guitar, I could never leave it on because I am a palm resting picker.

Never really understood those bridge covers.

Never really understood those bridge covers.

– Strummerson

Remember we are talking a nearly 70 year old design. Back in the days it was revolutionary anyway and many people were at least slightly put off by the looks of the guitar. So hiding the most non-traditional (aka ugly) parts wasn't the worst idea.

Personally I don't know any player who has this cover on his Telecaster today but I have to confess: I like having one for mine and will keep it.

Remember we are talking a nearly 70 year old design. Back in the days it was revolutionary anyway and many people were at least slightly put off by the looks of the guitar. So hiding the most non-traditional (aka ugly) parts wasn't the worst idea.

Personally I don't know any player who has this cover on his Telecaster today but I have to confess: I like having one for mine and will keep it.

– sascha

Good point, Sasha.

The axis of aesthetics and functionality didn't quite match where it could be left on, but doesn't it look great at least?

– sascha

So, it was always purely aesthetic? That makes sense. I can't see any functional advantages. And, clearly, my appreciation of the 3-barrel bridge-plate and angled inset bridge pickup is a product of our time. I do see how some in the 1950s would see that mechanical aesthetic as out of place on the face of an instrument. Like a car without a hood. But, what puzzles me, is that there aren't other models that employed such covers for the pickups. Did strats? Les Pauls didn't, though I guess a soapbar P90 isn't as 'mechanical looking'.

IIRC: Strats had it, Fender Basses had it. Jags and Jazzmasters had something similar. So did many lapsteels. Can't remember anything on a Gibson, though.

Cool, isn't it?

50s Rickenbackers sported something like these.

This Rick simply looks amazingly cool. No punkish palm mute downstrokes, though. You can't have it all.

Register Sign in to join the conversation