Modern Gretsch Guitars

Falcons compared to Other Gretsches

I am interested in Falcons but do not have any to try in my AOR. I would really like to sink my teeth into a Silver Falcon and switch out the FTs with Dynas.

I own a 6120 Nashville (psuedo '55) and a Country Club which both have Dynas.

If you were to compare things like the neck shape and overall feel of the Falcon as compared to other Gretsches, how would you describe it?

Is the Falcon just a fancy looking CC? or is there more to it than that ?

Scratch that last comment. I forgot about the spruce top and no post/trestle on CC. Derp.

The Falcon that I just sold was a '04 FMIC guitar. The neck was a nice "C" shape, that I would call "full", but not quite "chunky", if that makes sense.

It had a "fatter" neck than any of my 6120's or my -58 Gent. All feel good to my hands, but that Falcon had a wonderful feel to it.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

I have both a Club and a Falcon and agree with JD's assessment. Similar necks and bodies. You have a very nice Club. Now you need some Bling! Go for it.

The Falcon that I just sold was a '04 FMIC guitar. The neck was a nice "C" shape, that I would call "full", but not quite "chunky", if that makes sense.

It had a "fatter" neck than any of my 6120's or my -58 Gent. All feel good to my hands, but that Falcon had a wonderful feel to it.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Wow.....I was going to comment but it would've mirrored JD's input above.......with the addition of describing a Falcon's neck as "comfortably full".......not to be confused with the huge necks of the '50 Les Paul's

My 2010 Terada 6136T has just about the same neck shape as my 3/67 6120 and my '64 Gent-a comfortable but not clubby "C". My personal taste and small hands like a bit smaller neck,but it works.

Great Now I've gotta explain to my wife why there's going to be $2500+ missing from checking. Oh bother...

Christopher B...I sent you a PM.

Thanks Matt and good luck.

Update: I went to my local guitar store today and I noticed they all of a sudden had in a White Falcon LTV. So, I plugged her into a Carr Skylark and was absolutely positively BLOWN AWAY!!!!!!!. I ran through severely pieces of my repertoire from R&B rhythm to Herb Ellis solos and she handled everything so well. The Falcon and the Skylark combined were just such a great match.

It was the kind of experience where half way through you are doing the mental math trying to calculate how much you could get if you sold all your guitars and amps to pay for the guitar and amp you are currently playing.

It was the kind of experience where half way through you are doing the mental math trying to calculate how much you could get if you sold all your guitars and amps to pay for the guitar and amp you are currently playing.

Do it! If it's your dream setup it will be worth it. I sold a Fender Strat I had for over 10 years to help fund my Holy Grail Duo Jet. Even people on this site were advising me against it but I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Thanks Matt and good luck.

Update: I went to my local guitar store today and I noticed they all of a sudden had in a White Falcon LTV. So, I plugged her into a Carr Skylark and was absolutely positively BLOWN AWAY!!!!!!!. I ran through severely pieces of my repertoire from R&B rhythm to Herb Ellis solos and she handled everything so well. The Falcon and the Skylark combined were just such a great match.

– Christopher B

The LTV's are outstanding instruments, regardless of the model number!

I've bought both the guitar AND amp I was playing through before at the music store! Dave's Guitar in Lacrosse, Wi - a sponsor here. I was interested I the 6121-1955 and played it through a modern Vox AC-30. Most people maybe don't care for the master volume Vox's but I thought the tone of the Dyna's from the 6121 and the tone of that amp was too good to pass up! Ended up getting both!

Buy the Carr Skylark.

Mine makes every guitar sound real good.

Of course, a Falcon has charms too...

Yeah...

I think I'll just buy a new pack strings. That usually gets me through this.

Yeah...

I think I'll just buy a new pack strings. That usually gets me through this.

– Christopher B

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo. Go for the whole package. Get it all!!!!!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation