Gretsch Garage Sale

Russell Crowe’s Gretsches For Sale

Russell Crowe isselling a load of stuff through Sotherby's.

In addition to the expected film memorabilia there are a surprising number of vintage and modern Gretsches.

Out of interest...

https://www.sothebysaustral...

Wow. "The Art of Divorce". What a title for an auction.

I always find these auctions a bit weird, ... all your stuff being sold, everyone getting to see your poor use of discretionary income, or worse, etc.

I think a lot of this Movie Prop stuff is curious, though. Not worth a thing, given to the Actor as part of the movie making, wait some time get famous, then get divorced. Make a few bucks...

Wasn't he in a Gretsch-oriented Movie? Most of the many Gretsches are nice but not over the top or overly collectible.

Some of the guitars are listed for way over their value (G6119 for instrance) do people pay more for a guitar owned by Russell C?

Perhaps if I were a fan I might understand this "value add".

He has a nice collection for sale, though

The prices on the Gretsches are a bit optimistic.

He and I own the exact model and year 6192. Bigsby and all!

Added value for instruments IMO, has nothing to do with ownership by a celebrity if they aren't a performing musician! Merely possessing a guitar doesn't add value.

Yeah,even if Russell Crowe were my favorite actor, which he isn't, and Gretsch were my favorite guitars,which they are,I wouldn't pay those prices. I mean C'mon, Who does he think he is.....Steven Segal?

I'm guessing that the prices are in Australian Dollars as it's happening at Sotheby's in Australia. (I might be wrong)

If so, they're still a bit high but not too bad. 2500 AUSD = 1930 USD

I paged through the auction items.

Money money money money money money money money money money money money money...whoooooosh.

https://www.google.com/sear...

This was Michael Strathan's divorce when we lived in Manhattan. Multiple Super Bowl winner with the NY Giants (parades up Broadway started at our Apartment building) and now TV Host!

They rented a Warehouse and set it up like a Furniture Store....awful...

Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

First world problems.

Still, he's better off than Nicholas Cage.

Everytime I read about the prices for celebrity owned guitars , I'm always amazed that it's alway guitars that are in the stratosphere. I mean, has anyone ever paid $100,000 for Charlie Parker's sax, or Satchmo's coronet ?

Has anyone told Jim Irsay about this sale?

Added value for instruments IMO, has nothing to do with ownership by a celebrity if they aren't a performing musician! Merely possessing a guitar doesn't add value.

– Windsordave

But he is/was a performing musician.

I mean I have never heard "30 odd feet of grunts" but it was his band and there are tons of pics of him on stage with Gretsches.

I just went to youtube and had a listen. 100% not my thing.

LMAO at the Electromatic Bo Diddley Jr. est. value of $1500-$2000.

Even in Australian $$ this is absurd.

The guitar prices are on the high side for sure. What this looks like to me is someone who has had a very good income for many years, and lots of space to keep stuff, deciding , probably via huge change, that it's not all needed/used/necessary. Basically cleaning house and making $$ while doing it. Celebrity garage sale. More power to him. I think the biggest difference between Steven Segal and Russel Crowe is that Russsel Crowe is an actor.

I've known people with crazy money like this. It's often quite a challenge to spend it all. The "smart" ones go for really expensive stuff that doesn't take up a huge amount of room. Jewels, art masterpieces...cars get big. One guy had a HUGE car collection. According to his in-house Ferrari mechanic (!!), about 55M in Ferrari's alone. To say nothing of the Duesenbergs, Auburns, a Hispano-Suiza...

At least Geoff Bridges USES his Gretsches.. which come to think of it is probably why he hasn't put them up for sale.

I don't know for sure if Crowe even plays- possibly he does, but still, these asking prices are a tad past real.

If it's an auction, do these asking prices mean anything? Isn't the auctioneer going to have to start at the first price someone is actually willing to bid, and then go up from there?

In that context, these prices are nothing but targets of wishful hoping. We're not being forced to pay them.

I didn't know it, but in fact Crowe has played guitar for decades, maintained a band through the 80s and into the 90s, and continues an interest in music. He's not a great singer nor guitarist - but neither am I, and I still try. I see no reason his celebrity otherwise should expose his musical interests to ridicule. There's the example of the Bridges, and Billy Bob Thornton, and (yes) Steven Seagall - who is fun to mock but also seems sincere in his musical interest - Steve Martin, Jack Benny. Sting, Jerry Reed, John Lennon have taken turns at being actors. Les Paul did a kind of sitcom with Mary. Rick Springfield was a fair hand in both pursuits. Burl Ives.

Elvis, right? He was occasionally a fine actor. I'd maintain Kris Kristofferson was a better actor than musician.

Shirley Jones - was she a singer or an actress?

I guess if we first learn of someone in one domain, we have a hard time accepting them in another - resent that they're double-dipping or something, or are jealous of their range of accomplishment, and get extra-double critical of their attempts, as though wishing them to fail. Conan seems to be the exception to this pattern; we all agree to like him as a TV personality, and find his musical interests both genuine and endearing. Do the others seem pretentious or something?

There's footage of Crowe's band from before he was a "big star." Apparently he was pursuing both music and the theatah. Looks like he's having fun, and there are Gretschs all OVER the place in the videos, when Gretschs weren't the trending thing. I'm guessing he must have genuinely loved the guitars.

That ought to make him a brother here, not a punching bag.

And come on - "The Art of Divorce!" An auction with a self-deprecating title. That's good stuff there.

Well said Prot!!

Well I wasn't throwing any punches. I rather like much of his acting work. I knew he was a musician too.

But he is/was a performing musician.

I mean I have never heard "30 odd feet of grunts" but it was his band and there are tons of pics of him on stage with Gretsches.

I just went to youtube and had a listen. 100% not my thing.

– fistpicker

I should have added to my post "......if they aren't a performing, well known/renown musician!" As far as I'm concerned, he's well known as an actor, not a musician.

My comments aren't to disparage Russell, but just using him as an example of someone owning anything doesn't make that thing worth more. If Brett Favre owned a Gretsch and then went to sell it, him being the seller doesn't add value whatsoever.

Auction estimates are usually lightly based in reality, if at all. When I was in Australia a couple of years ago, I saw few Gretsches in stores and those they had seemed to be priced quite high to me, being more used to US prices. Other than the Billy Bo, the estimates actually reflect a lower level of fantasy than I would have expected given the seller.

As for Russell Crowe, I guess I'm just happy he has (or had) an appreciation for Gretsch guitars.

His band is/was "40 Odd Feet of Grunts". The prices obviously reflect his celebrity status as an actor. Still, not a reason to pay double for one of his guitars.

Register Sign in to join the conversation