Gretsch Garage Sale

PSA: TV Jones selling a 5129 (the red one) with T-Armonds ($650!!)

I'm not affiliated but figured I'd share: https://reverb.com/item/257...

Good shape. T-Armonds and wiring harness installed.

$650! That's crazy as the T-Armonds are like $330 already. Excellent deal.

A couple of years ago I would have jumped on this but now I have done this mod to a 5120 and I’m covered.

The pics show dearmond style pups, but the video seems to shows TV installing classics in dearmond shells. Wrong video or maybe the original dyna lites were put back in?

By golly that's red. That's very very red.

Isn't that red?

There's something so basic and honest about the 512x line. Unbound f-holes, paint that sinks slightly into the grain, not a bit of finish work that didn't have to be done - and all the fundamentals well executed. They're kinda loose, resonant rockin' boxes, good for a wild ride at volume - but, with juicy enough pickups, jazzy and articulate when under control.

Electromatics have evolved so far from that paradigm, getting fancier and more refined, that this guitar - only 14 years old - practically has vintage charm. With the pickup and wiring upgrades in place - all the good stuff bolted onto great bones - this one's bound to be somebody's twang-monster. I almost wish I needed one.

And man.

It sure is red.

Isn't that red?

There's something so basic and honest about the 512x line. Unbound f-holes, paint that sinks slightly into the grain, not a bit of finish work that didn't have to be done - and all the fundamentals well executed. They're kinda loose, resonant rockin' boxes, good for a wild ride at volume - but, with juicy enough pickups, jazzy and articulate when under control.

Electromatics have evolved so far from that paradigm, getting fancier and more refined, that this guitar - only 14 years old - practically has vintage charm. With the pickup and wiring upgrades in place - all the good stuff bolted onto great bones - this one's bound to be somebody's twang-monster. I almost wish I needed one.

And man.

It sure is red.

– Proteus

Good summary Tim of what the 5129 is all about. That stripped down no frills design was maybe 'of the time'. I love mine. And gosh it is a fantastic shade of red. And black. If Dracula played a guitar, it would be this one

Isn't that red?

And man.

It sure is red.

– Proteus

Good summary Tim of what the 5129 is all about. That stripped down no frills design was maybe 'of the time'. I love mine. And gosh it is a fantastic shade of red. And black. If Dracula played a guitar, it would be this one

I bought a 5129. Replaced the stock pickups with T-Armonds, modified the wiring to master vome & tone, replaced the stock Bigsby spring with a Reverend and replaced the bridge with a stainless Tru-Arc. Great tone and it SURE IS RED.

Modified 5129

This seems like a good deal.

I take it as red. But as red as it is it's not very red on the back and sides. Not very red at all. Unless it's a very dark red - as in blackish red. So it is red, but not as red as some guitars I have seen. it's a bit red.

The part that the player and observers see most often is nearly as red as can be. Durn near fahr-engine red. It’s true that there is a long blackish part where you put your left hand, and black-looking f-holes that are so big I’d be afraid of getting my hand caught, but those only emphasize the Big Redness of the guitar.

The sides and back are black. I mean, I guess they’re black. You practically almost can’t see them hardly, which makes it like they’re not there. They’re so black they might as well not be there. That makes the red even redder.

It’s very red red. The essence of that guitar is Red. If you wanted to show a newly sighted person who had previously been blind what red is,, this is what you’d show them.

But.....It’s not left handed!

There is no redder red than this. Red is a weird tone of colour. I have a few red guitars, like the Firebird for example. I love that too, but non is so red as the 5129. No one listens, apart from Dracula. It is red

The pics show dearmond style pups, but the video seems to shows TV installing classics in dearmond shells. Wrong video or maybe the original dyna lites were put back in?

– Bryan K.

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering.

The video is from many years ago. It currently has “a phenomenal sounding pair of TV Jones T-Armond Single-Coil pickups in the neck and bridge” and a “TV Jones Tone Pot Harness”.

I guess I read the text as implying that TV Jones installed the pickups now in the guitar (though you are right, it could be read the other way):

"This G5129 was featured in a video by TV Jones where TV himself installed the pickups and wiring harness."

If it were me I would clarify with the seller.

Gotta love a red guitar in any case.

I can’t believe it’s still available. Nothing against the T’ARMONDS, I have them in my Country Club and am very happy. That said though, aren’t the stock Dearmond 2000 pickups part of the attraction to the 512x series? I had thought about replacing them with the T’Armonds in my 5125 and am pretty glad I didn’t. Also, what he says about the neck is true; very comfortable imo. And it is RED and if I didn’t own the 5125 would be sorely tempted on this one.

Well, it’s sold. I wonder who got it. Maybe it was I. Maybe not. Whattaya’ll think? I’m just saying, I had these parts on hand with no project on which to use them.

Well that’s a good use. Congrats

Register Sign in to join the conversation