Gretsch Garage Sale

FS: NOCTURNE MYSTERY BRAIN BS-301 echo, vs 4 seafoam sparkle

I'm confused by the effects loop, can you explain? Am I understanding correctly that I'd run something like a Hosa YPM-523 Stereo to Dual Mono Splitter Cable - question is-

Does the Right-Angle 1/4" TRS Male end go into the Mystery Brain and the out to Dual 3.5mm TRS Female ends ....... Do I need 3.5mm TRS Male ends that go to a right angle 1/4" which then goes to and from a pedal in the loop?

Make sense?

– Diggey

Great questions!! The effects loop is simply and FX insert.. It allows you to place your signal chain between the Atomic Brain Preamp section of the Mystery Brain and the Tape Echo section of the pedal. I had a lot of guys wishing they could keep the Preamp at the front of their pedal boards w the echo at the end of the pedal board so we placed a stereo jack in the middle of the circuit board and you can now do just that. the insert jack is a 1/4" stereo (tip, ring,sleeve) jack.

DONT use adaptor jacks (eeek) w it or you will instantly hear capacitance loading (ie. presence loss).. Rather stick w a quality *Hosa type 1/4" stereo to dual mono 1/4" send and return on the Y cable. These can be purchased on reverb or amazon for less than $10.

I will be making available also an uber cable if you would like one from Sinasoid Cables. these will be made from Canare GS-4 cable, right angle connects w send 3' and return 2' lengths.

Hosa STP-201RR Right-angle 1/4" TRS to Dual Right-angle 1/4" TS (3.3 ft)

So grateful we get to make this batch! The next batch will be avail to order on Cinco De Mayo. :)

I’m finally in the que for mine, seriously can’t wait !!!

I'm bumping this up just because it looks so cool.

And because I want one.

Even if I can't afford one right now.

Ugh...

K

I'm bumping this up just because it looks so cool.

And because I want one.

Even if I can't afford one right now.

Ugh...

K

– Konrad

thanks Konrad. Next batch order will become avail Early May. did you see this vid a friend did. He's more of a surf and church muso, doesnt even know who setzer is I thinkHis perspective on his MB pedal is groovy.

Great video demo!

Wow-- very cool.

It's odd--i want to get the Billy band back together (badly), but I am enjoying church mode. Have to play a lot of different styles--sort of trying to mix billy tone (well, the best I can do) with u2 with whatever I can think of for a particular song (actually billy Duffy light seems to work).

The dyno plus the space echo really does ok--but I understand this would replace both and more? Obv, the pedal makes more sense (or spending cash does) if I get back to club gigging, but that's also prolly going to happen soon.

K

K

That is by far the greatest demo I've ever seen.

That is by far the greatest demo I've ever seen.

– Konrad

Yep, Tavo sure has built up quite a “Brand Ethos”, and I for one am digging it

So what does the "Abby" switch do anyway?

K

Just received mine and had a chance to “test drive” it....This is the real deal folks, if you don’t have one.....get one ☝️

That is some really nice playing too. I think you should record at least an EP to demo the pedal. I'd like an instro album with this.

I've had a lot of questions about the operation myself having recently received the Unit. The BS301 has been out for some time now and there is a lot of information and instructional videos on Tavo's website. the videos particularly have been helpful, I watched them a number of times and paused them even more.....Check it out --I will say that I am seriously digging it, in fact, with a clip on tuner, I'm not even going to take my pedal board to practice today, just this.

Link

So what does the "Abby" switch do anyway?

K

– Konrad

The abby is what you would call a "pre-boost" as its making the preamp about 30% more touch responsive. Its not a volume boost because if you light up your touch when its engaged it wont sound that much louder just an increase in upper mids and lower mids. Although the second you dig in based on your attack, you get a bigger louder response. Its loudness is controlled by attack dynamics of the player. A bunch of fancy talk for increasing the input gain w via the abby stomp switch. It can also just be left on and you slightly lower your guitar volume and control the preamp via your guitar, kinda what setzer likes to do. check this sound out w the the abby mode left on, instead of using it as a solo booster.

here's a 1 min instagram vid that shows how using the abby mode is kinda how setzer will flip the output dB pad to 50 on the space echo and turn up the input gain for sleepwalk using his guitars volume to control feedback sensitivity. The first part of the vid is me rambling about orders, but the settings of the Mystery brain is key here.. It was meant for some cats that were saying they never stomp on the abby mode because it makes their sound too loud, but they didnt realize they could engage the abby mode and turn down the gain knob to get a slightly brighter and gainier response at the same level they were comfortable w in the normal mode. https://www.facebook.com/th...

Wow. That's cool.

K

Register Sign in to join the conversation