Gretsch Garage Sale

FS: NOCTURNE MYSTERY BRAIN BS-301 echo, vs 4 seafoam sparkle

Hi guys, okay preorder is live on my site www.thenocturnebrain.com vs 4 seafoam sparkle w the effex loop insert (you can put other pedals between the preamp and echo). I've got a new batch of the NOS TA linear chip too, someone found me some of these hens teeth, so I dropped the upgrade price to $395 for Nos, and $365 for the Burr Brown chip version.

great sounding echo unit t...with great details

i always appreciate your dedication to the finest tones

cheers

great sounding echo unit t...with great details

i always appreciate your dedication to the finest tones

cheers

– neatone

yea! There is life here at The Gretsch Pages! I'd been thrilled even if you boo'd it.. I just dont want this website to go to ashes in spite of facebook!

ps- sent the bs- 301 vid ^ to a few friends..old school tape echo aficionados..roland 201, 301 owners..they really liked your pedal too!!!

good job t

cheers

The more I use mine, the more I like it. You HAVE TO take the time to get to know them. My initial impression at the Hoosier Daddy Roundup was awesome. My first five minutes with one at home was confusing, but then my neurons started mapping out the way the knobs and features interact and overlap. Since then, I love it!

ps- sent the bs- 301 vid ^ to a few friends..old school tape echo aficionados..roland 201, 301 owners..they really liked your pedal too!!!

good job t

cheers

– neatone

thanks Neatone! These are the guys that I want to hear from, since I made this to replace my own RE-301. Setzer's tech, Tyler has one now. Waiting on his response :)

The more I use mine, the more I like it. You HAVE TO take the time to get to know them. My initial impression at the Hoosier Daddy Roundup was awesome. My first five minutes with one at home was confusing, but then my neurons started mapping out the way the knobs and features interact and overlap. Since then, I love it!

– JBGretschGuy

So from a brother who knows his RE-301.. what kind of manual or vid should I do so that other dudes arent confused? MAybe you want to do a "Welcome to the BS-301" video especially since youre a great player. :)

cool

some comments were-

great that you included the modulation parameters..ala the old "chorus" effect

the preamp section was great...many players used their tape echo units for the boost sans echo back in the day!

the echoes had very authentic classic 70's vibe

also mentioned was the lack of the terrible reverb!! haha...which the recent boss pedal actually included..and was as bad as the original..(which i give them credit for!) hah

also there was question about powering??..strictly 9v... or will 18v make a difference

cheers

cool

some comments were-

great that you included the modulation parameters..ala the old "chorus" effect

the preamp section was great...many players used their tape echo units for the boost sans echo back in the day!

the echoes had very authentic classic 70's vibe

also mentioned was the lack of the terrible reverb!! haha...which the recent boss pedal actually included..and was as bad as the original..(which i give them credit for!) hah

also there was question about powering??..strictly 9v... or will 18v make a difference

cheers

– neatone

you can use 12v for slightly cleaner sounds, but the photo cell does its best at 9v. If you turn off modulation then its all good at 12v. Here's shot w black knobs

So from a brother who knows his RE-301.. what kind of manual or vid should I do so that other dudes arent confused? MAybe you want to do a "Welcome to the BS-301" video especially since youre a great player. :)

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

Well, shoot - I dunno if I'm the man with the chops, but I'd be happy to make a video. I'd suggest maybe a sheet with some sample settings to jump start the process, and then maybe some "blank" line drawings of the pedal where a user can mark their favorite settings. Settings like Early Sun, Surf, Setzer, mod U2, Soundscapey etherial stuff, etc.

I have a RE 301 Space Echo and I covet this pedal !

got 13 left in this batch, dont miss the Mystery Train!..eerr Mystery Brain! I'm including a freebie, a Big Knob.. the big knob can be swapped in anywhere of course but works great on the time control so you dont have to reach down to adjust the slap back time. It wont be on the pedal when it arrives but will be in the box for you to install (ps. yes they were always going to be white on this batch, I was just having some fun with the other colors to get feed back on folks variety in taste)

www.thenocturnebrain.com

https://s3-us-west-1.amazon...

any news about the amp top version?

– Bryan K.

yeah, that'd be cool!!

hah

cheers

– Bryan K.

I built 5 units w intent to mount into cab boxes..but w no interest so they became "reverse box" pedal versions. Wasnt about to spend $200 a piece extra on the custom wood cabs alone, that would double the cost and I am sure no one would go for that. A few rockabilly guys like Buddy Dughi like the Mystery Brain on top of the amp so I put large rubber feet on those and they sit nicely over the amp handle. :)

Wow-- I have a space echo (which sometimes I love and sometimes I wonder about--but which I can't seem to live without)--would this be the upgrade from that I need?

K

Or let me put it this way--i have the dyno brain is (which is awesome) running with the space echo--so would this replace both?

Looks amazing.

K

It would replace both - and gives you way more flexibility, and reliability than a RE-301. I recommend it highly!

Are these all sold out?

I'm gonna do it!

I'm confused by the effects loop, can you explain? Am I understanding correctly that I'd run something like a Hosa YPM-523 Stereo to Dual Mono Splitter Cable - question is-

Does the Right-Angle 1/4" TRS Male end go into the Mystery Brain and the out to Dual 3.5mm TRS Female ends ....... Do I need 3.5mm TRS Male ends that go to a right angle 1/4" which then goes to and from a pedal in the loop?

Make sense?

Register Sign in to join the conversation