Gretsch Garage Sale

My Custom Shop ‘59 Gretsch Duo Jet w/ TVJ Classics, Yours w/ DeArmonds

Throwing this out there in case I have a counterpart...

I have a Stephen Stern Masterbuilt '59 Duo Jet w/ TV Jones Classics. Relic finish, blacktop.

A truly first rate guitar... my only issue is that my rigs are dialed for single coils, and I think I'd prefer to have essentially the same guitar w/ DeArmond style pickups of some sort.

If you have one and wish you had Filter'Trons... I'm your guy!

Get some dynas in a filtertron mount from TV jones.

That had occurred to me, but I dunno... I think that sorta messes with the vibe that this one has going for it.

That had occurred to me, but I dunno... I think that sorta messes with the vibe that this one has going for it.

– BobL

Visually or sonically? If you aren't pleased with the sound, it would be a change in the right direction. I was in the same boat with my RHH. Here it is with the swap...

Nice guitar! and I like the RHH with the T-Armond's too. I wish all YouTube demos were that well done. Solid playing, well recorded, visuals of which pickups are in use, and no distortion effects to disguise the tone.

Visually or sonically? If you aren't pleased with the sound, it would be a change in the right direction. I was in the same boat with my RHH. Here it is with the swap...

– Bluecap

I don't know sonically - it would probably sound great, but kind of overall look/vibe, and that sense of what it was intended to be when it was built? I understand if that seems silly to some, but... dunno.

Your RHH sounds great! Very tasty playing, too. Might be worth trying a pickup swap.

I would second the motion to just do a pickup swap.
You have a great Jet and a swap is reversible. I swapped the original TV Jones from my 6122-59 for TV's T-Armonds and haven't looked back.

Yeah, it's probably worth a try, anyway...

Anyone have any thoughts on the T-Armonds vs the SD Dynas? Looks like a lot of the CS guitars are going with the SDs. The one comparison I found was worthless since they played them through two different amps. :/

Oh, and I guess maybe the SDs can't be mounted in a Filter'Tron mount?

Yeah, looks like that's not an option, so... problem solved. ;)

The one comparison I found was worthless since they played them through two different amps.

It sounds like you’re talking about this demo I did with Scott Rust. You have to pay more attention. Both guitars are completely identical (down to new strings of the same brand, fresh that day) except for the pickups.

And both are played through both amps, with similar content for each pass. That is, we’d play a bit with one guitar, each through our own amp, then swap guitars and play the other through our own amp. Same time, same place, no changes to amp settings. I don’t know how it could have been more thorough. You just have to read the titling onscreen to follow the swaps.

Yeah, that was the vid - and I admit I didn't get far because I took it to mean each guitar was played only through the one amp, so it may be worthwhile to update the description to make this clearer to future watchers...

It did seem odd to me since pains were obviously taken to make the guitars themselves as identical as possible.

I'll revisit. Thanks!

Proteus, I forgot how much I love your playing! I need some lessons from you! Can’t wait until I get my new TruArc for my ‘57 Vintage Spec Jet.

I've had both in different Country Clubs in my past.... I think I posted my take on the differences here but it was years ago and IIRC there was a crash here on TGP so archives and that post may be lost. I may have saved the post in notepad but ill have to get to the computer to check.

If memory servesThe SDs were a touch warmer and a bit more organic/responsive but I'm talking miniscule, granular differences, differences so minute that I think would likely be lost - or at least not worth the cost\benefit differential - on a Jet.

On a big open Country Club the differences were more apparent, still very subtle but enough to make for some optimization; The darker SDs were better suited to the all maple sunburst CC which was pretty aggressive acoustically, and the TArmonds very happy on the more gentle but vibrant spruce top Oops CC. SDs would have worked on the Oops model as well but perhaps kept it in more of a jazz territory and less versatile.

Bottom line: You can't go wrong with either and in a Jet I think the choice is splitting hairs and not worth the cost differential.

But it all depends on how you'd answer the following : ☺

What's your amp? What's your style? What's your budget? What's the Jet like unplugged? What's your OCD level? ☺

My main amp these days is a self-built Princeton Reverb in a Tweed Deluxe Cabinet with a 12" Jensen Alnico. Figure out how that sounds. ;)

Probably would use this mostly for the country band (think old school 50s-60s), a bit for the alt-country/rock band. What I actually use the most for both bands are Jazzmasters, which are the best sounding teles a guy can get.

Unplugged it's pretty dang lively. Sounds dark plugged in compared to my old 6120 w/ the same TVJ pickups. I end up w/ the tone switch down a lot.

Budget... eh, I already paid for the guitar, so I'd probably better get it right... but it doesn't seem like SD even makes a filtertron mounted Dyna, so... not sure I have a choice if I keep this guitar.

OCD level is 1000 out of 10. :)

I've had both in different Country Clubs in my past.... I think I posted my take on the differences here but it was years ago and IIRC there was a crash here on TGP so archives and that post may be lost. I may have saved the post in notepad but ill have to get to the computer to check.

If memory servesThe SDs were a touch warmer and a bit more organic/responsive but I'm talking miniscule, granular differences, differences so minute that I think would likely be lost - or at least not worth the cost\benefit differential - on a Jet.

On a big open Country Club the differences were more apparent, still very subtle but enough to make for some optimization; The darker SDs were better suited to the all maple sunburst CC which was pretty aggressive acoustically, and the TArmonds very happy on the more gentle but vibrant spruce top Oops CC. SDs would have worked on the Oops model as well but perhaps kept it in more of a jazz territory and less versatile.

Bottom line: You can't go wrong with either and in a Jet I think the choice is splitting hairs and not worth the cost differential.

But it all depends on how you'd answer the following : ☺

What's your amp? What's your style? What's your budget? What's the Jet like unplugged? What's your OCD level? ☺

– Mustafa Stefan Dill

I think you’ve got your Country Clubs mixed up. I bought your maple Club. It has the T’Armonds; the spruce Oops had the SD’s (don’t recall who bought that one). I recall your saying that the guitars were very close and that you had a slight preference for the spruce Club. I’m still on the honeymoon with the maple club btw.

I think you’ve got your Country Clubs mixed up. I bought your maple Club. It has the T’Armonds; the spruce Oops had the SD’s (don’t recall who bought that one). I recall your saying that the guitars were very close and that you had a slight preference for the spruce Club. I’m still on the honeymoon with the maple club btw.

– Baba Joe

Ahh...so I probably have the characteristics swapped in my post then. Its been years....I miss them both but glad they have good homes :)

That guitar looks sweeet! Is the finish some kind of custom matte job? I would leave it as is and get a pedal like an eq or an Atomic Brain to bring out its sparkle.

That guitar looks sweeet! Is the finish some kind of custom matte job? I would leave it as is and get a pedal like an eq or an Atomic Brain to bring out its sparkle.

– david burch

I actually just got a Source Audio programmable EQ so I can set different EQ settings for different guitars and bring them up when I switch instruments. I use one on my acoustic rig, and it's great - I don't have to try and remember settings.

Finish is a factory relic... it actually seems more dull and scuffy in those pics that it is in person. It's feels the most like an actual old guitar out of any I've played. Not super glossy, but feels entirely broken in.

Additional pics:

– Bluecap

Hey Bob, I've just searched through your many (excellent) videos and only found one with Filtertrons! I guess you didn't gel with em.

BobL I’d be inclined to sell and a Dyna model. I had a 58 that I put vintage Dynasonics on. I loved the look of the 58 (inlays etc) but couldn’t bond with filters... You could see the filter ring screws. That didn’t bother me and I Loved the sound but it kept bugging me that it wasn’t right. Most people said it didn’t bother them at all. But I kept looking at Ed’s book and feeling it’s wrong. I ended up putting the filters back in asn selling it. pursuing a dyna model.

Hey Bob, I've just searched through your many (excellent) videos and only found one with Filtertrons! I guess you didn't gel with em.

– Vince_Ray

(Not me :))

Agree there is a lot of great playing there!

That picture warms the heart. Genuinely inlaid logo, with slightly wonky lettering, headstock binding that meet the nut like the old ones, nicely aged bone nut, fret ends meeting the binding nibs like they should. It's these little things that make this dyed-in-the-wool vintage fan crave a Custom Shop Gretsch.

That picture warms the heart. Genuinely inlaid logo, with slightly wonky lettering, headstock binding that meet the nut like the old ones, nicely aged bone nut, fret ends meeting the binding nibs like they should. It's these little things that make this dyed-in-the-wool vintage fan crave a Custom Shop Gretsch.

– Afire

I recently picked up the VS 57 Jet and the Gretsch logo with the turned "G" in front irritates me. I feel a bit duped because in the promo video for the model that guitar has the traditional wobbly lettering.

Register Sign in to join the conversation