Gretsch Garage Sale

Modern World 6120

A friend of mine is selling this killer clean Japanese made 6120 that is supposed to be a 2012. I have seen / played it and it's really nice. Has flats right now -- case equally clean but no paper. $1600 plus shipping. Since I don't know anything about Gretsch past the 1979 Broadkaster hollowbody and TK-300, I am just reporting the facts as I know them.

That appears to be a '59 VS model.

I'm interested and would like to know more. Feel free to IM me the details off-thread if you want to be more discreet.
Is there any online listing to link to, or are you representing them on TGP?

PM will be sent Let me know if you don't get it cause PM is flaky. This friend doesn't collect, and might have 5 or 6 things at the most -- just usually sells locally and to friends so it's not on the grid. I just thought I would put this out for him where Grestch people hang.

PM will be sent Let me know if you don't get it cause PM is flaky. This friend doesn't collect, and might have 5 or 6 things at the most -- just usually sells locally and to friends so it's not on the grid. I just thought I would put this out for him where Grestch people hang.

– DCBirdMan

I haven't received a PM yet. I sent you one. If it's not working I'll give you my direct email. Let me know.

thanks!

received. thanks!

That appears to be a '59 VS model.

I'm interested and would like to know more. Feel free to IM me the details off-thread if you want to be more discreet.
Is there any online listing to link to, or are you representing them on TGP?

– Edison

What makes you think it’s a ‘59 VS? My 2012 G6120 looks very much like this one, and it has a sound post (NO trestle) and HS Filters. (Plus a Callahan string thru, Compton brass compensated bridge, locking Grovers have been added). Mine isn’t a ‘’59 VS” though,

Not saying made in '59, but referring to the tribute year. And I'm basing that guess mainly on the style of the Bigsby. The VS (Vintage Select) models have 2 toggles on the upper bout, the Players Edition only have one.

I'm still not all that clear on some of the more subtle variations of the 6120s. I've seen some models with and without the zero fret. Otherwise they're identical except for the year produced.

I've been holding out on buying a 6120 partly because there are so many variations from which to choose, aside from the tribute year. I'm mainly seeking FMIC era, and leaning toward the Tiger Maple orange. Some of those have stunning flame finishes. A couple of the Brian Setzer signature models are pretty hot too, but in the end it'll likely boil down to 'having the money to spend when the right used one comes along.'

Yes, but by your definition, MY 6120 looks like a ‘59 VS...and it’s not. Both of the above guitars are identical... same year (2012), same Bigsby, same number and location of pots and switches, horseshoe headstock, gold hardware, etc. I’m not bustin’ balls, I’m just pointing out that looks can be deceiving. It looks to me like the first guitar is simply a G6120. Just like mine.

The only way to be certain is by looking at the label inside the upper f- hole, or asking someone to look and see what it says for model.... and looking inside to see if it has trestle bracing or sound post. To many, that’s a HUGE difference!

They didn’t make a VS in 2012. That looks like the base model G6120 (no suffix).

Not a "VS." In 2012, there were "LTV's" which were the equivalents to the present VS.

Not a LTV either. Bigger headstock, no zero fret, gold Bigsby, larger enclosed tuners, and "HS" Filtertrons, makes this unit a standard 2012 6120.

Looks like a beautiful guitar, but not a LTV.

Not a "VS." In 2012, there were "LTV's" which were the equivalents to the present VS.

Not a LTV either. Bigger headstock, no zero fret, gold Bigsby, larger enclosed tuners, and "HS" Filtertrons, makes this unit a standard 2012 6120.

Looks like a beautiful guitar, but not a LTV.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

thanks for clarifying.

What they said! I’m glad you didn’t buy this thinking it was a 59 VS! However, having said that, I think the base G6120 is an exceptional instrument. For this particular guitar, and for what I wanted it for, I prefer the tone-post over the trestle bracing, and it’s perfect for doing just the upgrades and mods I wanted. Many might pass on this guitar because it’s the “base model”, but you’ll also get a pro Gretsch at a value price! Good luck!

Thanks Steve. Yeah, it's such an icon guitar, so I am drawn to the classic base models. Then there are so many variations and tribute models, alternate finishes, I'm still sussing them out to find the one.

I do love the TM models, the orange flame figuring is so striking, but it's still instantly recognizable as a G6120T.
It's a beautiful twist on an otherwise classic base model.

Glad you guys know all this Modern World stuff. I sure don't!

Thanks Steve. Yeah, it's such an icon guitar, so I am drawn to the classic base models. Then there are so many variations and tribute models, alternate finishes, I'm still sussing them out to find the one.

I do love the TM models, the orange flame figuring is so striking, but it's still instantly recognizable as a G6120T.
It's a beautiful twist on an otherwise classic base model.

– Edison

And these, on occasion, come up for sale.

Shame how they sprayed an incompatible top coat on there and it went all mottled and blotchy. Tsk tsk.

Shame how they sprayed an incompatible top coat on there and it went all mottled and blotchy. Tsk tsk.

– Proteus

LOL. Hey, at least it's not poop brown, right!

And these, on occasion, come up for sale.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Not that I've seen, at least not the reissue.

Not that I've seen, at least not the reissue.

– Don Birchett

Few and far between. I've only seen two for sale in the last 3-4 years.

Register Sign in to join the conversation