Gretsch Garage Sale

Looking For a Green 6118T

Anyone have a Terada built Anniversary (6118T) they might want to sell? Trestle bracing or tone post, two-tone smoke green, post Fender. Not looking for the Player's Edition ones. Gimmie a shout if you have something.

Out of curiousity why do you want the trestle bracing or the misnamed 'tone post' ?(which is really a 1/1" hardwood square block under the bridge.) Other than looks it takes the archtop out of the archtop.

Anyone have a Terada built Anniversary (6118T) they might want to sell? Trestle bracing or tone post, two-tone smoke green, post Fender. Not looking for the Player's Edition ones. Gimmie a shout if you have something.

– Journeyman

Another out of curiosity question, why not the Player's Edition? I've owned both, and in my opinion, if you use these 6118Ts on a stage, the Player's Edition KILLS the regular edition. With the ML bracing it has just the right amount of body resonance at high volumes for great feedback control without giving up anything tone-wise at lower volumes, the slightly thinner body is more comfortable than the standard width, the tone control walks the mud switch, and the pin-less Bigsby makes it was easier to change a broken string fast! I would NEVER go back to the older version. I love my Player's Edition, and I own a really nice 6120T '55VS. I only like the 6120 more because it has T-Armonds.

If the Player's Edition guitars were 2 1/2" deep, I'd love it. I'm just real comfortable with and fond of the 2 1/2" body depth. I was all set to get one of the newer Vintage Select Annies until I realized that the neck pickup is set back from the standard position about an inch., which is what the old 1960 models had. I don't like the sound of it there and it's right where I pick. The older 6118LTV or one of the subsequent 6118T guitars with trestle bracing would be ideal, but the parallel bracing with 'tone post' is fine. I do like the new 135th Anniversary, but not the colour. Fickle, I know, but an Annie has to be green, dangit.

If the Player's Edition guitars were 2 1/2" deep, I'd love it. I'm just real comfortable with and fond of the 2 1/2" body depth. I was all set to get one of the newer Vintage Select Annies until I realized that the neck pickup is set back from the standard position about an inch., which is what the old 1960 models had. I don't like the sound of it there and it's right where I pick. The older 6118LTV or one of the subsequent 6118T guitars with trestle bracing would be ideal, but the parallel bracing with 'tone post' is fine. I do like the new 135th Anniversary, but not the colour. Fickle, I know, but an Annie has to be green, dangit.

– Journeyman

I just looked at a picture of a 2004 (post Fender) 6118T and then my 2018 6118T SGR Players Edition, and I surely didn't see an inch difference on neck pickup placement. They are both butted right up against the base of the neck. What are you referring to?

I've used vintage Gretsch's live on stage professionally for many many years no problem. I've found that changing a string live isn't something I'm going to with any guitar that has any sort of bigsby new or old. 1st the audience should never have to wait while you change a string no matter how fast you can do it, and If you break a string, you really just need to have another guitar ready to go as a bigsby puts the whole guitar out of tune generally as the spring pushes back on the reduced string pull. The advantages of the players edition are frankly a matter of taste, which is fine. I think that basically it caters to a more modern guitar expectations. I was more curious about the tone block but maybe it's a feedback thing. Another thing I've never had a problem with live despite playing pretty loud. Green double anniversary's are cool!

I've used vintage Gretsch's live on stage professionally for many many years no problem. I've found that changing a string live isn't something I'm going to with any guitar that has any sort of bigsby new or old. 1st the audience should never have to wait while you change a string no matter how fast you can do it, and If you break a string, you really just need to have another guitar ready to go as a bigsby puts the whole guitar out of tune generally as the spring pushes back on the reduced string pull. The advantages of the players edition are frankly a matter of taste, which is fine. I think that basically it caters to a more modern guitar expectations. I was more curious about the tone block but maybe it's a feedback thing. Another thing I've never had a problem with live despite playing pretty loud. Green double anniversary's are cool!

– Toxophilite

For me, even changing a string on break on a dark stage is easier with the pinless Bigsby, and I am all about vintage, most of the music I write sounds like it comes from a long gone era, and I feel 6118T SGR caters to my sensibilities too, as my old anniversary at high volumes, I would have to mute the lower strings to keep them from running away in feedback. It's not that I couldn't make my old one work, as I did, I just find the players edition made it easier. But we all like different things and sometimes you find playing something you thought you wouldn't like works out to be just the opposite. There are many ways to skin a cat and I'm sure many people would find my way of doing things, and my taste in gear, ridiculous:)

I just looked at a picture of a 2004 (post Fender) 6118T and then my 2018 6118T SGR Players Edition, and I surely didn't see an inch difference on neck pickup placement. They are both butted right up against the base of the neck. What are you referring to?

– Daniel Weldon

I wasn't referring to the Player's Edition models. I'm talking about the Vintage Select one; 6118T-60 VS. https://gretschguitars.com/...

I'm considering one of the newer 6118 LTD 135tth Anniversary models, colour notwithstanding. Played one in a store and I must say, it was really impressive. No mud switch; yeaaaaay!

I'm considering one of the newer 6118 LTD 135tth Anniversary models, colour notwithstanding. Played one in a store and I must say, it was really impressive. No mud switch; yeaaaaay!

– Journeyman

I'm with you on the mud switch, they just don't work for me! And that was the most important thing that drove me to the Player's series. And the 135th Annie looks like a nice guitar, and it still has the string thru Bigsby and locking tuners, which I've come to love.

I wasn't referring to the Player's Edition models. I'm talking about the Vintage Select one; 6118T-60 VS. https://gretschguitars.com/...

– Journeyman

Now I understand, and Hilo-trons to boot. I played an original Annie with Hilo-trons a few months back, and I really liked the way the neck felt on it, a little narrow, but beautifully rounded over fret-board. And I could easily make those pickups work for me. I really didn't have the cash due to losing 90% of my gigs, so I didn't buy it, but I would have in a heartbeat normally!

Now I understand, and Hilo-trons to boot. I played an original Annie with Hilo-trons a few months back, and I really liked the way the neck felt on it, a little narrow, but beautifully rounded over fret-board. And I could easily make those pickups work for me. I really didn't have the cash due to losing 90% of my gigs, so I didn't buy it, but I would have in a heartbeat normally!

– Daniel Weldon

Yea, those are nice pickups. They are actually TV Jones HTs; I confirmed with TV Jones. I like them a lot and have been using them for years. They're just a little beefier than the standard Hilo'trons, but still maintain the Hilo character.

Register Sign in to join the conversation