Gretsch Garage Sale

I never learn

Well I had to try this new in box 2012 Japanese 57SS short scale 22.5" Strat. Very few in US but I snagged one. Bladebucker is original on these. Only 6 pounds.

I keep telling myself in a mind over matter way that I can hack the harrow 1- 9/16" neck @ nut width but I realize again 1 10/16th is where I start like the Mexi 22.5s have. And I no longer used to or like the 7.5 radius and lo-frets which was ok last century when I was an Intense Vintage Fender Dude, -- which all ended nearly 20 years ago.

So it's outta here-- $575 plus shipping.

Well I had to try this new in box 2012 Japanese 57SS short scale 22.5" Strat. Very few in US but I snagged one. Bladebucker is original on these. Only 6 pounds.

I keep telling myself in a mind over matter way that I can hack the harrow 1- 9/16" neck @ nut width but I realize again 1 10/16th is where I start like the Mexi 22.5s have. And I no longer used to or like the 7.5 radius and lo-frets which was ok last century when I was an Intense Vintage Fender Dude, -- which all ended nearly 20 years ago.

So it's outta here-- $575 plus shipping.

– DCBirdMan

I share a third of your neck requirements. I need the wider neck too as most around here know but I want my frets as low as possible to avoid fretted strings going out of tune - sharp - when depressed with the open strings being played. A lot of fingerstyle players have the same concerns. As for scale length, I generally prefer the 24.6" over the 25.5" but anything shorter I haven't played or find a need for.

Good luck with the sale.

Yes, taller frets can cause fretted notes to go a bit sharp if you press down hard. I'm hopeless.. 24" is now long scale for me

I've got to tell you DC, I laughed when I saw the thread title. Because I'm in the same boat for very similar concerns, but your title just sums it up best. Good luck on the sale.

Well it's still around -- odd , non mainstream guitars... are always harder to sell. Strats are mainstream but that short scale isn't. Still it's a good deal for unplayed, none in US kinda scene.

I’ve watched in awe for the last year or so your relentless search for your perfect guitar and amp. I am at once shocked and entertained at the extreme lengths and expense that you have gone to in order to satisfy that itch.

Then I realize that that is what I myself have been doing, but at a much slower pace. In the last 10 years, so many guitars have gone through my hands that I can’t remember them all.

It was worth every attempt at guitar perfection, every broken promise of the next best guitar in the world and every dollar to get to where I know exactly what I want in my guitars...and I pretty much have that now.

Well maybe it's stupid of me. Hasn't been cheap since I have to tweak stuff (frets, upgrade the pots, etc) and then you always lose more than normal loss when selling it.

Still lots of progress has been made -- it just all is because of what works as I get older, and what I play isn't what I played 25-30 years ago. Then what is really important is less important as something overtakes it. For me I still want a wide neck, but I will put up with narrower to get a shorter scale. Would like to lay hands on a Rambler to see what 23" scale is like. I have done 22.5 and 23.5. and like them a lot. There are minor execptions.. .like the demented question for a Bikini doubleneck .. it's gonna be normal Gretsch scale so I accept that.

Amps -- for a while I really did think 2 channels was needed.so the Cage amp was done. Now back to 1 channel and the 9 watt 2 6AQ5 scene fits like glove. 6 watt Champ doesn't cut it but 12 watt Princeton is too much. But now I want reverb built in. Now that's tweaky.

What's most absurd is out on the scene, I mainly play bass these days

But the good news is someone just bought this little guy -- had promise but killed by a narrow neck. I never learn

Register Sign in to join the conversation