Gretsch Garage Sale

Hey reel tape dorks, part 2

Well next up in the free except for shipping category is this mid 1960s Westinghouse small reel recorder/player in kool original box. Has hardwired mike and earphone, no paper. No idea what's on the the tape. It's battery only and I have no idea if works, but sure is clean shape.

No corrosion in battery compartment. Only prob is part of battery compartment needs to be re glued to put batteries in.

PM not doin' all that great these days so can be contacted @ rdb@pipeline.com

Those weren't much more than lo-fi toys. We'd "play" with them back in the '60s. Sound quality was poor at best---meant for voice primarily. Looks like the tape's still threaded---which means you might want to degauss the heads. Tape can't be too good after 50 years. Still, it might be fun to mess with. I've heard tales that the promo/ intro for Satisfaction was recorded in a kitchen on one like this. Built in distortion, as it were.

Cool lookin' piece. I like the little level meter. Lotsa chrome, and the clear view of the tape transport is fun. If it works, what a great way to record a porch jam or remember a late night idea... Fun...and in the original box...cool.

Reminds me of the old M.I. tv series..."this tape will self-destruct in....".

Reminds me of the old M.I. tv series..."this tape will self-destruct in....".

– Stvo

You let the smoke out...

I guess it's Japanese just w/ US name on it.

I guess it's Japanese just w/ US name on it.

– DCBirdMan

That's not too surprising, actually. When that was new, the US was still busy making vacuum tubes. Japanese electronics hadn't taken hold yet like they did in the '70s.

Register Sign in to join the conversation