Gretsch Garage Sale

6120 Nashville.

I am contemplating selling my 1967 Nashville. It is a super clean example except for the binding rot . I am having it set up by a luthier this coming week and I am going to play it and enjoy it for a while. I need to get £2700 to get my money back from it which is not bad considering the price of new ones. I thought it would be prudent to give you chaps first dibs before it goes to the bear market. Whadaya think folks ?

Click the link to go to the photobucket album for a "warts and all" view.

http://s17.photobucket.com/...

I am contemplating selling my 1967 Nashville. It is a super clean example except for the binding rot . I am having it set up by a luthier this coming week and I am going to play it and enjoy it for a while. I need to get £2700 to get my money back from it which is not bad considering the price of new ones. I thought it would be prudent to give you chaps first dibs before it goes to the bear market. Whadaya think folks ?

Click the link to go to the photobucket album for a "warts and all" view.

http://s17.photobucket.com/...

– Stubert

You'll never get £2700 for it as the binding repairs will cost somebody around £1k; about £1500 would be a better bet. Thomann (in Germany) sell them brand new for £2483 and there is no tax or additional payment for importing it into the UK.

GDP member Brett65 bought a 1963 model recently. Much more collectable. The guitar had some minor woodwork done but was in great shape otherwise. No binding issues. He paid ca. €2300 what is about £1670. Just sayin'.

"Super clean... except for the binding rot" is a bit of an oxymoron. The reason clean original examples fetch what they do in the market is because they don't have the all-too-common binding rot.

'67 isn't a very 'collectible' year for any Gretsch guitar. Nothing wrong with that year as it isn't classified as a Baldwin era feature-wise, but unfortunately, there's nothing distinguishing or rare about your Nashville. It's one of the most common models for sale at any time so your price has to reflect that you have a lot of competition!

Ed nailed it regarding your use of "super clean". Short of unreversible mods, total, not here and there binding rot makes it a long way from "super clean". I'm also concerned with the split in the back of the headstock. Split or not, it's disconcerting. There are painfully few buyers willing to buy a guitar that needs all the binding replaced and they want the price to reflect what they're going to have to invest after they buy it. And even perfectly replaced, it's just another Nashville.

You are so right Dave. I am never going to get my money back on this guitar so I have had it set up and now keep it in the bat cave with me so I can give it a blast whenever.

Register Sign in to join the conversation