Gretsch Garage Sale

Gretsch 6114R New Jet

I'm looking to sell my Gretsch 6114R New Jet. Decent guitar, but I just didn't bond with it the way I have with other guitars I own.

I'm asking $1100 + shipping now on Reverb. The Reverb link below has excellent pictures and I'm happy to sell there or via PayPal (the latter being a better choice if you're in a state that requires Reverb to collect tax).

https://reverb.com/item/290...

Best of luck. She's a beauty!

I'm still getting the feel of mine, but I do like it so far!

Compared to my '57 Duo Jet it's a different animal, and a very nice hybrid with a Les Paul.

It should move fast at that price. Best of luck!

After looking at the New Jet more closely, it occurred to me that the years 2000 - 2003 were the era of "New" at Gretsch. I have a 6120N "New Nashville", which has a very similar neck to the New Jet. Perhaps Gretsch was wanting to update the classic designs for a new millenium, but for various reasons these designs didn't sell well and were dropped from the lineup after only three years.

I love my 6120N and it's one of the finest built and best playing guitars I own. I'm sure the New Jet is equal in quality and playability.

Thanks for the encouragement! I think any lower than this and I'll probably just mod it with TV Jones pickups and upgrade to locking tuners. It's a decent guitar, but I've got a few I play more.

The Gretsch story is a fascinating one to me. One that I think could make a compelling documentary.

The years from when the family reacquired the business, until they finally partnered with FMIC in finding their current stride, seem particularly bumpy but formative. A lot was happening during those years.

It's clear in hindsight there were periods of rediscovery and reinvention, as much as reinvestment.

Sometimes that can produce remarkable results, if short-lived. (the g5129t as another example, glad I found one.)

Of course other times that experimenting can lead to embarrassments that linger as a reminder.

New Coke

the Edsel

I'm sure we can think of guitars out there that fall into this category too. (Not naming names, not asking for any.)

.. FWIW, and as an owner of one; the g6114 is much more a gem than a misstep. They'll be coveted.

The Gretsch story is a fascinating one to me. One that I think could make a compelling documentary.

The years from when the family reacquired the business, until they finally partnered with FMIC in finding their current stride, seem particularly bumpy but formative. A lot was happening during those years.

It's clear in hindsight there were periods of rediscovery and reinvention, as much as reinvestment.

Sometimes that can produce remarkable results, if short-lived. (the g5129t as another example, glad I found one.)

Of course other times that experimenting can lead to embarrassments that linger as a reminder.

New Coke

the Edsel

I'm sure we can think of guitars out there that fall into this category too. (Not naming names, not asking for any.)

.. FWIW, and as an owner of one; the g6114 is much more a gem than a misstep. They'll be coveted.

– Edison

I think it's great if you're not looking for something vintage correct. I particularly like the volute and two-piece necks as I've always been critical of classic designs (e.g., Gibsons) that are more prone to headstock breaks than designs that use some way to mitigate the issue like changing the headstock angle, using multi-piece necks, volute, scarf joints, etc.

Register Sign in to join the conversation