Gretsch Garage Sale

gold foil single coil pickup GONE MAN GONE

No name on this -- something just outta the smoldering factories deep in the heart o' China, 11.8k. Has a decent single coil snap to it. $22 shipped

Do you happen to know what size hole it fits?

Do you happen to know what size hole it fits?

– Proteus

DCbirdman's offer is very fair, and it might very well be a great pickup, but you do realize this is not really what's commonly referred to as a gold foil pickup, right? The 60's goild foils people rave about these days are the DeArmond made ones that were on Harmony guitars (almost P90-hot and dirty) or the Japanese-made ones you see on Teiscos and the like (similar construction to the DeArmonds, not nearly as hot, Ry Cooders' favorite neck pickup for slide)

It fits a mini humbucker size -- some people say mini hum fits p-90, but i don't know. Still we replaced this with a Dragonfire minibucker and it was a direct fit and better for what I do, since single coils are illegal In My World.

I had thought the old school foil pickups had been recreated -- everything old is new again.

to follow walters lead ^....i prefer the dearmond/harmony gold (& black foils) to the later teiscos...even tho the latter are probably more popular these days...primarily due to ry cooders use of them! and many modern pup makers makin repro's

the dearmonds are typically in the 10k resistance area...but not because they are overly hot pickups, but because they used thinner wire...#44 & #45 wire is so thin that you can get many wraps, thereby increasing the resistance number...but not really a hot pickup

and with guitars controls rolled back can achieve a very acoustic clean tone

can't go by the resistance numbers...esp on vintage pups..the designs were all over the place!...and like i writ in the recent post about ecs p-90...even the qc of the wire made a huge difference...

favored pup- vintage dearmond black foil

cheers

This is the original Dearmond from the 60s, in my pile of parts. What's it worth? Thanks reverse to follow.

to follow walters lead ^....i prefer the dearmond/harmony gold (& black foils) to the later teiscos...even tho the latter are probably more popular these days...primarily due to ry cooders use of them! and many modern pup makers makin repro's

the dearmonds are typically in the 10k resistance area...but not because they are overly hot pickups, but because they used thinner wire...#44 & #45 wire is so thin that you can get many wraps, thereby increasing the resistance number...but not really a hot pickup

and with guitars controls rolled back can achieve a very acoustic clean tone

can't go by the resistance numbers...esp on vintage pups..the designs were all over the place!...and like i writ in the recent post about ecs p-90...even the qc of the wire made a huge difference...

favored pup- vintage dearmond black foil

cheers

– neatone

Yeah I love these DeArmond gold foils. This one came off a Harmony guitar I was led to believe...now stuck crudely to my Teisco...it screams!

Register Sign in to join the conversation