Gretsch Garage Sale

Sold …finally! :) G6120-1959LTV Supertron/Duotron

Hello, Otter, new to the pages and enjoying learning more about Gretsch guitars than I ever realized existed. I've seen the term "mud switch" several times in my browsing the various pages, never heard it previously. Is it the tone switch or something entirely different?

– Synchroslim

Welcome to all things Gretsch! Yes, the mud switch is in place of the tone pot/control. The up position sounds very dark/jazzy and the down position gives a bright tone. In the middle, it's disengaged. The vintage models with this mud switch tend to have a wider range of tone from the two positions than the newer models. Others with more technical knowledge between the old vs new can chime in with a better explanation.

FWIW, it tends to be a love/hate view on this feature.

I will be out of town 'til Monday. if there are inquiries, I'll get back to you after I return. Thanks

Welcome to all things Gretsch! Yes, the mud switch is in place of the tone pot/control. The up position sounds very dark/jazzy and the down position gives a bright tone. In the middle, it's disengaged. The vintage models with this mud switch tend to have a wider range of tone from the two positions than the newer models. Others with more technical knowledge between the old vs new can chime in with a better explanation.

FWIW, it tends to be a love/hate view on this feature.

– Windsordave

Hello, Dave, thanks for the welcome! I would have responded sooner, but I've been like a little kid who just discovered candy at a candy store. I'm learning so much about Gretsch guitars and loving it! Yeah, from the responses I've seen, the mud switch is definitely a love-hate affair. I'm going to try to get the original value capacitors when I order the harness from TV Jones, just to see how I like them-or not. And, as Proteus pointed out, if I find I don't care for the sound, I can always play with some different variations of cap value. I'll be sure to ask TV tech support about it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation