Gretsch Garage Sale

Sold …finally! :) G6120-1959LTV Supertron/Duotron

I would like to sell this before I move. If you have any interest, I'd be happy to entertain offers.

I'm the original owner and this has the thin nitrocellulose lacquer finish! It’s a great looking Vintage Orange with curly maple headstock overlay. purchased new in March 2016.

Here are the mods to the guitar…

• Supertron neck and Duotron bridge pickups sound killer in this guitar!

• Callaham bigsby thingy to make stringing easier - see photo and

• One master volume, one master tone. Original pots, switches, knobs are included.

• Extra volume knob replaced with phase reversal switch. This provided an additional tsound that is great for some vintage tones, put to good use by players like TK Smith and Ashley Kingman from Big Sandy, and a bit of different flavor in the studio.

• Aluminum Tru-arc with 2-3/16” string spacing (about 1/8” wider than stock). Original bridge also included.

LTV has been gigged a few times but shows very little wear. There is a barely noticable chip out of the finish by the tone control where I dropped my capo on the guitar. There are also small cracks around the pickguard screw where I over tightened it.

The guitar was set-up very nicely in the fall with 10.5-48 strings and I have an extra set that I’ll ship with the guitar. Action is low without buzzing and the neck is really nice and even playing.

$1499 shipped to Forum member using Paypal as gift to lower 48 USA from Tucson, AZ

If you have trouble reaching me through “contact”, my email is zenbovine@gmail.com

Control area, note cracks around pg screw :/

callaham bigsby string shaft

I don't mean to be rude, but I think your price might be a little high. Looking at about 2 years of sales very few of these have gone over $2k, and the majority have been less than $1900. Now, the reverb price guide isn't everything, but it's generally a pretty good barometer of what you can expect. Your guitar may be in great shape, but your mods are not to everybody's taste, and IMO, only detract from the value.

That said, these are truly fine guitars. The best of the Fender-Era Gretsch, in my estimation. Mine is my favorite guitar. I wish you the best of luck with your sale.

If I've been truly uncouth here I will remove this post.

No, Thanks Otter the feedback is appreciated. I am looking to move the guitar and suspected my price my be high. I saw one sold from Elderly for $2400 though so I figured I'd start high. I have all the parts to convert it back but don't want to put any more money into 'er. Also, for whatever reason, the Supertron really works better in this particular guitar - on the advise of TV himself and my tech liked it better too.

I'm gonna adjust the price above.

Sorry for being so blunt in my first post. It's not the pickups that offend me so (though I find it unlikely any pickups could improve thse guitars from the stock format), it's the removal of the mud switch. It's so essential to the spirit of these guitars that it's absence is jarring. It may seem a foreign curiosity to Gretsch newcomers, something to be avoided or extracted, but when I first picked up my 6120 it just made sense. I don't see it as some wacky Jimmie Webster add-on, but a deliberate and reasoned improvement, as much a part of the guitar as the Bigsby.

Yeah I'm waxing poetic, but it's easy to use, never sounds bad, and truly offers something (both electronically and aurally) that a tone pot can't replicate. My favorite sounds in these guitars use the mud switch, and I hate to see them so hastily cast aside in favor of something as uninspiring as a tone knob, or heaven forbid, a phase switch.

I want.

My gofundme starts Saturday.

I want.

My gofundme starts Saturday.

– crowbone

Sorry for being so blunt in my first post. It's not the pickups that offend me so (though I find it unlikely any pickups could improve thse guitars from the stock format), it's the removal of the mud switch. It's so essential to the spirit of these guitars that it's absence is jarring. It may seem a foreign curiosity to Gretsch newcomers, something to be avoided or extracted, but when I first picked up my 6120 it just made sense. I don't see it as some wacky Jimmie Webster add-on, but a deliberate and reasoned improvement, as much a part of the guitar as the Bigsby.

Yeah I'm waxing poetic, but it's easy to use, never sounds bad, and truly offers something (both electronically and aurally) that a tone pot can't replicate. My favorite sounds in these guitars use the mud switch, and I hate to see them so hastily cast aside in favor of something as uninspiring as a tone knob, or heaven forbid, a phase switch.

– Otter

Both mods are non-destructive and reversible. I will include the original parts (though pickups would be extra).

The debate about tone switch vs. knob, vs. neither/none can be found elsewhere on the forum. I set the guitar up this way because that is how it's most useful to me.

I don't use the phase switch much but it's a distinctive sound that has been handy, particularly, in the studio. I regularly use it on one song live. Still more functional than redundant volume knobs that I never touch. Master volume is fully intact and has the treble bleed mod (does not roll off highs as you turn the volume down). It's a great guitar for the right person.

This is now on Reverb for $1,799 + $99 for shipping/fees. I will waive the $99 for a forum member who contacts me through this site and purchases with Paypal, cashiers check, or money order. con US only

I would like to sell this before I move. If you have any interest, I'd be happy to entertain offers.

Currently I'm asking $1499 shipped to Forum member using Paypal as gift. Con USA only please, from Tucson, AZ.

Gosh fellers, this is a pretty good deal on a smartly tricked-out 6120. Someone oughta gotta.

Beautiful Guitar.

Thanks Wheels. It would be awesome for a Chet style picker who doesn't want the size of a 6122T-59. Very versatile guitar though.

Unsolicited bump.

I can’t believe this hasn’t gone yet. Especially such a highly regarded model. Already having one guitar with a Supertron neck and another guitar with Duotrons, I can appreciate the tone and can’t justify it for me but think that someone is missing out. The phase switch is unusual but interesting. Like it or not, this still seems like a good deal.

– Otter

Hello, Otter, new to the pages and enjoying learning more about Gretsch guitars than I ever realized existed. I've seen the term "mud switch" several times in my browsing the various pages, never heard it previously. Is it the tone switch or something entirely different?

Just lookin at this. This might have been one the last years the LTV was available.

Register Sign in to join the conversation