Gretsch Garage Sale

G6118LTV For Sell or Trade

I love the feel and look of this guitar ... but honestly I have never been able to dial in a satisfactory tone and am looking to trade or sell for $1500. I think its a 2011 and the only modification it has is an aluminum Tru-Arc bridge. There is one small scratch on the headstock close to the "D" string tuning machine.

Would like to trade or sell in person anywhere within a 2 driving distance of Washington DC. I really don't want to ship this baby. OHSC and guitar strap included. I am the original owner of this guitar.

Here's a close-up photo of the headstock:

Have you considered working with someone who is experienced in getting great tones out of Gretsch guitars to try to get a good sound from it? You would start by trying to articulate just what it is about the tone that is different from the sound that you hear in your head and want to come out of the guitar. We can try to help you on here, but you would be best served by working side-by-side with some knowledgeable and experienced at it.

Brian, I had the same issue with mine. I swapped out the PowerTrons for SuperTrons. Problem solved with extreme prejudice!

I sold the PowerTrons for almost as much as I paid for the Supers. The swap cost me next to nothing.

Paul/FF909

Hi Brian

I agree with Ric, you may consider listening to a bunch on TV's sample clips on his site of all the different pick ups he has to offer and find which sounds what your looking for in tone Other things to consider are bridge material, capacitor values on the tone switch.

What sort of style/s of music do you play what don't you like about your current tone (or what would you want to be different from your current tone)

On the other hand, if you just can't seem to get on with the guitar for a multitude of reasons, then sell it and find something else which suits your fancy better.

By the way, have you considered changing out the aluminum Tru-Arc for a different material? We know that the different materials impart tonal differences, so perhaps you have wrong material bridge.

As a point of reference, I have a Gretsch 6129BZ Silver Jet and a Fender Jaguar. I play both rhythm and lead and both of these guitars they have been very versatile. I play in a Surf band. I used played my G6118-LTV in a country rock band and it sounds good for leads. Chords sound not so great to me ... or at least not as good as they sound on my other two guitars. I play through a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

I might consider the switch of pick-ups. I had a really good experience with TV Jones Magnatrons in my first Electromatic.

I have a 6116PTV which is similar with the TVJ Powertrons. TVJ Filtertron type pu's are very sensitive to pole piece adjustment. You may have already, but try playing around with the pole heights. With Powertrons, the closer to the strings the better.

Philly guitar show next weekend. You should be able to move it

I'm an unabashed Powertron fan, but not a fan of the sound through a blackface style amp, especially with overdrive. Tweed, Marshall and even Mesa type circuits are a good match with Powertrons.

Love Powertrons through my original Vox NightTrain.

I sure wish that I had something to trade. It should go quick.

Come to think of it, this guitar sounded fine through a VOX AC30 ... Which I later sold because it's such a back breaking heavy amp. Why would these pick-ups not sound as good through a Fender DRRI?

Brian - you may also want to try experimenting with the pickup heights (if you haven't done that already.)

OK, I adjusted the pick-up height and and sounds better. Much more spank and no more "muffled" sound. But it feels weird, almost like the strings are hitting the pick-up poles they are so close.

Anyway, thanks for steering me back into fine tuning this guitar and making it fun to play.

Brian, here is how TV Jones recommends adjusting the Filter'tron style pickups. He doesn't recommend adjusting the pole pieces; instead, he recommends adjusting the overall height of the pickup. He feels that his pickups sound best when the entire pickup is close to the strings.

Hello, I'm new to Gretsch Pages and have been looking for a used 125th Anniversary G6118T-LTV in smoke green two tone with Grover Sta-tite tuners. I believe they were introduced in 2008.

Mostly every 6118T-LTV advertised in in jaguar tan with locking tuners.

Anyone selling or know of one?

Information greatly appreciated.

Hello, I'm new to Gretsch Pages and have been looking for a used 125th Anniversary G6118T-LTV in smoke green two tone with Grover Sta-tite tuners. I believe they were introduced in 2008.

Mostly every 6118T-LTV advertised in in jaguar tan with locking tuners.

Anyone selling or know of one?

Information greatly appreciated.

– CD51

Welcome to all things Gretsch CD! I suggest you put this posting in the Modern Gretsch category. In this section, many folks aren't going to look at an ancient thread. Start your own thread saying in the heading, what you're looking for. That will capture the most interest on our website and hopefully point you in the right direction.

Brian, here is how TV Jones recommends adjusting the Filter'tron style pickups. He doesn't recommend adjusting the pole pieces; instead, he recommends adjusting the overall height of the pickup. He feels that his pickups sound best when the entire pickup is close to the strings.

– Ric12string

Old thread but the best pickup adjustment tool are your ears.

Late to the party, but I will 100% recommend throwing a pair of TV Classics into the Jag Tan Annie. I owned one for a few years (and was playing exclusively instrumental surf). I liked the PowerTron in the neck, but never got on with the PTron in the bridge.

Threw in a Classic and loved every minute of it.

Adjusting the pole/body heights are definitely a good idea, but if you're playing surf, I think the additional clarity and single-note pop of the Classics (or maybe the newer Setzers or Butts pickups) will fit the bill.

Register Sign in to join the conversation