Gretsch Garage Sale

F/S - My cursed Streamliner…

It’s time for me to move this lovely creature along. She’s got a past, and some structural issues, but she’s also gorgeous looking and has potential for someone who can fix her up!

This is a 1954 model year Streamliner (model 6189). It’s the earliest example I’ve found from the #133xx batch, which is the first full group of the evolved Streamliner format (from the 6190-1 forerunner).

This guitar was sold to me as an original Burgundy Bordeaux factory finish, and in excellent original condition with no issues. The seller failed to pack it well, and upon my receipt of the guitar the neck was all but detached. So… at least you know the neck was reset within the past 6 years. However, when working to get the neck back on my luthier pulled the Dyna out and found that the pu cavity had been enlarged sometime in the past, AND the treble-side tone bar had been cut in the process. Several years later we noticed the top was slightly sagging on that side and my guy installed a dowel under the top to reinforce it. Then, after speaking with several people more educated than I, it would appear that the finish, although old and patina’d is probably not original to the guitar.

A few months ago, you may recall seeing this for sale on the GDP. I had replaced the hardware with new repro stuff, and added the second pu. The buyer helped me to discover that the top was continuing to sag, and the added dowel alone wasn’t going to stop it, so I took the guitar back. It’s hard to see when you look at the guitar, and would be invisible if it had a pickguard, but it is apparently affecting the neck alignment and will need to be resolved. So I present this Streamliner with full disclosure that it will need some work to get it back playing.

It will come in a brand new Gretsch hardshell case. I’m asking $600 (I’ll split the shipping cost to CONUS). Ask questions if you have them. Thanks for looking!

Hard to detect the sagging... but the "point" of the treble-side f-hole is starting to curl in a bit.

There is also a touched-up scar on the guitars top, down by the control knobs. This photo shows it well.

The parts and case figure to be worth about $600, so it's approximately a no-risk gamble.

If only it were left-handed, Ed...

Paul/FF909

The parts and case figure to be worth about $600, so it's approximately a no-risk gamble.

If only it were left-handed, Ed...

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

I'm sure somebody could fix that in photoshop, Paul.

Ed, would you ship to Norway?

Anders

Hello Anders... I guess I would consider it, but the shipping is going to be expensive I fear. Let's see if I get any other interest. If not, let's talk.

Kudos to you on the way you're selling & representing it.

Assuming the top bracing was cut, couldn't you just piggyback some bracing material alongside it and restore the stiffness to the bracing?

Assuming the top bracing was cut, couldn't you just piggyback some bracing material alongside it and restore the stiffness to the bracing?

– JazzBoxJunky

Sure that would work but I'd just remove the back and make a new brace. Anyone can do it just think it through.

Yeah that would be the best way to do it for sure, wonder if the other brace has started to sag?

I would think the rest of the cut brace has lost its integrity without any pressure on it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation