Gretsch Garage Sale

FS: vintage 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb

That's a great price for an amp that looks to be in very good shape. I have a '64 that is the quintessential desert island amp. There are so many great things about a Deluxe Reverb. The clean tone KILLER, and once they get above 6, watch out, killer dirt! And although these things sound great straight in, they LOVE pedals! As for the tranny swap, I seriously doubt the power trannys differed that much from 65 to 68!

Thanks, Daniel. Yeah, I had a friend pay a whole lot more for a '64 and then he had to play to get it recapped and retubed. (a $400 proposition) The brand new Tuki cover is about $90 all by itself. So, in a way, it's like snagging one for $1800, which is unheard of.

The hardwired reissues are $2,495.

Thanks, Daniel. Yeah, I had a friend pay a whole lot more for a '64 and then he had to play to get it recapped and retubed. (a $400 proposition) The brand new Tuki cover is about $90 all by itself. So, in a way, it's like snagging one for $1800, which is unheard of.

The hardwired reissues are $2,495.

– JBGretschGuy

That's why I said it was killer deal. That's less than a lot of modern amps and it's the REAL DEAL, and ready to go!

Agree, this is a nice price especially since it comes JB-certified. Good luck on the sale.

Were there (even the most minor) circuit tweaks in the 1968/69 silver panel/aluminum trim era DRs? Or was it just the same as 64 thru '67 black panels--

As I understand it no.

/Proud owner of a 68 that is my regular gigging amp

//Really wish I could add this blackface to the stable. Very reasonable price

Yeah, the changes in '68 were pretty minimal. There were more changes in '70 and '72, but any early Silver is a good one!

JB is right, the early versions are for all intents and purposes, exactly the same amp with a different cloth on the front and faceplate. IMO, DRRI are way overpriced along with vintage Blackfaced Fender amps in general. Early SF amps don't give up a thing and are much more reasonably priced. I'd push the year up to '72 before the MV knob came into play on some models. Later '70's had additional changes. No doubting DR's are good amps but I balk at the prices.

FWIW, my Executive is a better amp than either a vintage or RI DR....YMMV.

I always poo-poo'd the Blackface and Tweed mystique. After all, I can build any amp I want, any time I want.

Owning an original Tweed Bassman for a while, and a '67 Princeton Reverb currently, I can tell you that it isn't just all smoke and mirrors and hype. There is something to them. Now, honestly, it's not huge. It's a tiny bit of sweetness that must come from old USA iron or something. I don't know exactly. But it's real.

Always pleasant to have someone crap on your vintage amp sale…..

FWIW, I think Vintage Fender amps (Backface and very early Silverface amps) are still the bst deal in vintage amps. Just ask JB what his Marshall JTM is selling for…. LOL

I have gigged Blackface amps for almost my entire career (45+ years). They have never let me down and always sounds like heaven. Today I still use a 68-ish Princeton Reverb and a 69-70 Deluxe Reverb. Never once has anyone said my tone sucked…..LOL

Joe

You're right about that, Joe! Bargains, even compared to the new cost of hardwired Fenders.

This one, and that JTM45 belong to a friend of mine. I'm helping him sell.

Sorry JB, I wasn't trying to crap on your sale but point out that the Blackface stuff has what to me is an artificially high price ceiling, especially compared to their SF counterparts. I have a '66 Pro Reverb and a '70 Vibrolux Reverb and both do have an especially sweet tone to them as you mentioned. Hope this one sells for you.

Sorry JB, I wasn't trying to crap on your sale but point out that the Blackface stuff has what to me is an artificially high price ceiling, especially compared to their SF counterparts. I have a '66 Pro Reverb and a '70 Vibrolux Reverb and both do have an especially sweet tone to them as you mentioned. Hope this one sells for you.

– Windsordave

No worries, Dave! I don’t disagree with you. A good SF is as good as a good BF, for sure. And an Executive is a great amp!

My ‘90s Clapton Strat is a better Strat than the ‘63 I had at one time. But people love that pre-CBS stuff! It’s all (ir)relative.

'66 Vibrolux owner here. I'm obviously a blackface believer.

And while I'm far from an expert, I'd put it up against a lot of amps I've owned and played over the years. It is the first amp I ever bought (before I knew boo about amps) and it has been and still is a total champ (no pun intended).

I'll add that if I didn't have the Vibrolux already, I'd be all over this deal.

I have a ‘64 Bandmaster that is amazing. Great vintage amps!

I have a 1964 Deluxe Reverb.Bought it in 1985 for 350.00 It had a JBL K120 which I stupidly sold years ago. I won’t do the same with the amp!

The econ major part of my brain chuckles when it sees the word overpriced. I once tried to use it in a sentence and failed. The free market determines the price equilibrium based on only supply and demand.

Considering the inflation rate, this is almost the same as having a time machine and being able to buy one new in 1965. But you don't even need a time machine!

Anyone who says "overpriced" doesn't deserve an amp like this anyway. In 1964, a Country Gent was $600, which is like $5,000 in today's dollars. No wonder so many people had to take out loans to buy a guitar back then.

I posted the Bluesbreaker on a Vintage Marshall Buy/Sell forum and was immediately attacked, even though I disclosed every detail about it. I said "I'm a nice guy. There's no need to be rude." And then a guy THREATENED me.

If these amps belonged to me, I'd chop them up with a hatchet and burn them in my fire pit before advertising them on the internet. But I was trying to help my friend Joe sell them. I even disassembled this Deluxe and went over it to make sure it's something I would own myself. No good deed goes unpunished.

All I see is 1 pic that says "front". Can others see the rest of the ad? I'm going to check my gear $ stash...

Register Sign in to join the conversation