Gretsch Garage Sale

FS: Roadhouse/Supro Vista-Tone Pickup Set

I have for sale a set of Roadhouse (Supro) Vista-Tone pickups, gold with silver pole pieces. I had them in my Franken-Tele for a few months but they were not exactly the sound I was looking for. These are humbucker sized. They are in excellent condition, with all plating intact and full-length leads. The neck measures in at 8.3K and the bridge at 9.2K resistance. Details here from the Roadhouse website:

http://www.roadhousepickups...

These are the same pickups used in the new Supro Americana re-issues:

https://suprousa.com/guitar...

They were $240USD, plus shipping for the pair when new last year. I am asking $145USD, including shipping to anywhere in Canada or the CONUS; PayPal only.

If the PM system is not working for you, I can be reached at:

cjones zero zero one at cogeco dot ca

I love the VistaTones, the bridge sounds gnarly.

I got em! I think. Good bloke to deal with, looking forward to getting my Link Wray on

They are definitely yours, Vince. As discussed, I will get them to the post office tomorrow afternoon after work.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris, great to deal with you. They’re going to a good home and I’ll try that light fading on the gold so they’ll have the old boy vibe

Great pickups - those going in the Eastwood Link guitar Vince?

Will probably put them in the plain Airline twin tone. I have gfs surf 90s in there at the mo so will swop them all round and put surf 90s into the Link model. Just a tinker man at heart!

How you getting on with the Supro amp Walter?

Will probably put them in the plain Airline twin tone. I have gfs surf 90s in there at the mo so will swop them all round and put surf 90s into the Link model. Just a tinker man at heart!

How you getting on with the Supro amp Walter?

– Vince_Ray

I like it a lot! It's a different flavour than the Fenders I'm used to, but in a good way. With the stock speakers, it was way too loud, clean and bassy for me though - I've swapped in a pair of lighter eminence speakers, and now it breaks up at about the same level as my other amps, and it's not too bass-heavy for my hollowbodies any more.

Great, unique sounding breakup from that amp, and I like how it gets very compressed when you turn it up.

I also lucked out and got a great price on one of one of these used, and it's perfect for the Coronado, for a small bar, or at home.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on this Walter. Agreed, it’s damn loud! I use a blues driver with mine to get some grit and as it cuts a bit of the bass, it’s useful.

BUT, I hadn’t thought about a speaker swop to reduce volume and increase breakup. Normally, it blows my dress up before it’ll breakup. Which speakers did you use?

So, I ended up buying the 25w Supreme with 10” speaker. Weirdly loud and big enough for drummer levels but I can get a bit of bump n grind at the right volume.

Still like the Coronado but the weight...the weight!

Yep, the coronado is heavy, even with lighter speakers - you can use the transformers for a boat anchor.

I have an eminence Legend 1058 and a copperhead in it now. The two different ones not so much out of corksniffery - I still had those in my stash - but it does sound good. Still loud, but not nearly as crazy, a little more top, and the bottom is not as crazy huge.
I briefly tried two (even) lighter speakers out of a different amp, but it was fairly obvious they weren't going to make it through a gig with this amp.

Haven't had a chance to try the Supreme, looks very interesting. Tried the Black Magick, loved the amp, though the speaker was too much, stupid amount of bass.

You’ve got me thinking about speakers now! Supro do seem to have got a way huge sound out of those wee amps. Guess they were testing them on scratchy telecasters playing Communication Breakdown!

Those speakers are stiff as hell when new, I think that puts folks off...it’s an unforgiving sound for a while and my initial experience was love n hate. You’re right, they have their own voice and it’s different from the usual Vox fender Marshall variations. Takes a bit of adjustment but well worth it.

Any video links to you playing it Walter?

You’ve got me thinking about speakers now! Supro do seem to have got a way huge sound out of those wee amps. Guess they were testing them on scratchy telecasters playing Communication Breakdown!

Those speakers are stiff as hell when new, I think that puts folks off...it’s an unforgiving sound for a while and my initial experience was love n hate. You’re right, they have their own voice and it’s different from the usual Vox fender Marshall variations. Takes a bit of adjustment but well worth it.

Any video links to you playing it Walter?

No links yet, I'll let you know if something shows up!

Register Sign in to join the conversation