Gretsch Garage Sale

FS repro tortoise pickguards for Gibson, Epiphone, others ?

Vintage (jazz) guitars usually have see-thru tortoise guards ; and are notorious for decay. For my own archtops I have often bought repro guards from luthiers, but my experiences were very mixed in terms of waiting time, correct shape, quality, and also prices sometimes are excessive.

So just for the fun of it lately I have been experimenting with making my own.... in the vintage transparent faux tortoise material just as the originals were. Attached are my 'first fruits' in pickguard making. They're not perfect yet but I hope I am getting there.... (still need to buff them to high gloss)

So far I have done a red single-ply bound Gibson cutaway (so L7c style); a similar one in antique light brownish (would look perfect on a very early cutaway like an L12P); and a multi-bound L5

I have also done a long shape L5 non-cut and some Epiphone guards, but didnt make the pics yet so will post those later.

If anyone needs one of these send me a PM

(P.S. I am NOT doing acrylic; for beautiful Gretsch guards it's still best to contact Paul Setzer !)

Those look really nice!

Those look great Frank! Have fun with it. You've got some fine looking samples. I've always wanted to try binding. I imagine it's time consuming, the whole process. The only tort stuff I do are the roundups and ranchers and dyna risers and you've seen all those.

Frank - any chance you've got a template to fit a '90s Samick made Epi Joe Pass? I'm in the market.

You've got some fine looking samples. I've always wanted to try binding.

I imagine it's time consuming, the whole process.

Yup !

'90s Samick made Epi Joe Pass

No I dont so unless you can provide me with a trace ?

Definitely an artfrom to make those...

Good for you, Frank, for taking the time to learn how.

Frank, those look mighty sweet. I would be ordering one for my "The Loar" copy of a 16" Gibson Loar L5 but I've decided to sell it for now. I have it up in the Garage Sale section at a fantastic price but who knows if it doesn't sell I may end up ordering one. Those are right up my alley. Very nice :) :)

– fws6

– fws6

Sweet!

Wish I had a nice archtop that needed one.

I the past I restored a L-5P and could have used one, but the guy who finally wound up with the guitar bought one for it online for big buck$.

There's a couple old Epi Triumphs hanging up in a local shop that could use them, but I'm not in the market.

Yup !

– fws6

Yup !

– fws6

Got it used without. I've looked at the usual websites, and they all say the same thing. I gather that Epi sourced them out of multiple Korean fabricators and there was variation even on the same model guitar. I may have to keep my eye out at the used shops until I find one that I can get a trace off of!

There's a couple old Epi Triumphs hanging up in a local shop that could use them, but I'm not in the market.

I did a Triumph as well now.... Here's the same three Gibbies, plus a flamed Epiphone Triumph regent, and really dark tortoise L5 non-cut in the works (no bindings yet). (the red L5 is not mine though someone else made it)

Is it just me or are the pics so small for everyone ? Here's a closeup of that dark tortoise - it is gorgeous

Wow, they look really nice! Where are you getting the material, if I may be so bold, and is it celluloid?

I have bought as many different materials from all different suppliers I could find - some are the genuine vintage type celluloids some newer repro tortoise actually made in acrylic. I have many different types on order, still to arrive, so hopefully will be able to show some more designs over the next weeks. This one just came in today, but I didnt cut it into any shape yet

Thanks - I love the striped stuff, can you remember where you got it?

I sent the Mazuchelli company an email once (and they have some incredible stuff on that site!), but I got a polite reply they only sell in large quantities.. :(

The hazmat shipping on the celluloid stuff from axiom eats me up.

Looking good Frank!

Walter you mean the flame ? I got that for free cant get more. I still have enough material left for one guard though.... so if you have one in mind ?

Register Sign in to join the conversation