Pickups

Floating pickup for a New Yorker

One of my friends got himself a G9550 New Yorker awhile back, and was kinda pissed he got that when they came out with the 9555 electrified model a couple months after he got the 9550. He wants to put in a floating pickup. What would be the best one (on a budget) to put on the regular New Yorker? I don't know much on floating pups so hopefully somebody can help here.

How about a Gretsch floater like this one? You couldn't do much better price wise.

Otherwise you could try Allparts or StewMac. There are a variety of floating pickups available from most of the usual manufacturers (Kent Armstrong, Seymour Duncan, Bartolini, etc.) depending on how much you want to spend and what you're looking for tonally.

Both Peter Biltoft of Vintage Vibe pickups and Curtis Novak can built you a wide variety of floating neck pickups and very thin. Curtis can give you a great gold foil deArmond but Peter has a freakin CC floater!

for me though I just kept watching Ebay and purchased a vintage DeArmond FHC for my 48' Silvertone for $55

My suggestion for what to recommend depends entirely on what 'sound' he wants from his guitar. Better put, what voice does he want to hear? Is he looking to hear his guitar's acoustic voice, as if he was playing through a mic pointed at the F-hole or does he want to hear the jazz sound you get with a floating pickup?

I have the solution for the first scenario - a new dual microphone pickup system for installing in an archtop that's only possible because it has an external power source. Unlike every other system that requires you to have access to the inside of the body to change the battery, this system, once installed never requires a thing - the power comes externally. I just had this installed in my '41 Syncro 100 and it faithfully reproduces this guitar's unique voice. I play it through a Fishman ProEQII and then into a Tanglewood T6 acoustic amp. I can also get a pretty good jazz sound with it but if that style was what I wanted exclusively I'd have to change the strings.

The issue we've found with the regular floating pickup (like on my G100CE) is that the arms that attach to the neck attach to both sides, and the pickguard is in the way on the 9550. I'd need one similar to the one that's on the G9555.

Well, the original Dearmond Rhythm Chief Pickups that they now put on the New Yorkers, are available from Guild for just $69.99. Take a look here: https://shop.guildguitars.c...

The Original old ones go for a lot of money!

Paul

Paul, the link shows a price of $119.99. Did it go up since yesterday?

+1 for the Vintage Vibe CC. I just put one with a floating side-mount design on a G3900 Historic Jr and it works great. I also asked Pete to wind it more like a P90, and he did a super job!

Here's a close-up shot of the pickup/guard combination showing that I aged/yellowed the white acrylic on the CC to match the aged binding on the guitar.

+1 for the Vintage Vibe CC. I just put one with a floating side-mount design on a G3900 Historic Jr and it works great. I also asked Pete to wind it more like a P90, and he did a super job!

– noiselab

How does it compare to the stock floater that was on it?

I like the sound of the stock one on my 3967, but yours looks way cooler. Does it attach to the same neck holes (not sure what "side mount" means)?

The pickup on my G3900 was non-functional when I got it (open short/infinite resistance). It looks identical to the pickup that was on the G3967 that I used to have. This pickup has more warmth and a bit of grit when dialed up to full volume like you'd expect with a P90. Dial it back a bit, and it sounds more like a clean CC. Best of both worlds!

By "side-mount", it's got a bottom plate that sticks out to the side that can be attached to the under-side of the pick-guard rather than ears that attach to the sides of the neck.

I will say that mounting it this way is a bit fiddly as you have to take pick guard height and angle into consideration and compensate accordingly.

Paul, the link shows a price of $119.99. Did it go up since yesterday?

– seadevil

Oh wow!!! Yes it must have gone up. I'm 100% sure, that it was $69.99 when I posted it.

Thanks for posting - lots of folks were wondering if they were going to be sold separately.

You might have mis-read a webpage that summarizes the parts that Guild is now selling. The item directly above the Dearmond pickup is a set of tuners . . . for $69.99

Link

Thanks for posting - lots of folks were wondering if they were going to be sold separately.

– spike

I was really hoping that they were. I like the old Rhythm Chief 1000's.

You might have mis-read a webpage that summarizes the parts that Guild is now selling. The item directly above the Dearmond pickup is a set of tuners . . . for $69.99

Link

– geoguy

I just checked everything again, and on jazzguitar.be where I first read about the new Pickups being sold seperately, they also first wrote about them being sold for $ 69.99. So, apparently Guild already increased the price. Still not a bad price for that Pickup.

Register Sign in to join the conversation