Other Guitars

PRS ??

This is the one I have, its one of the private reserve ones, killer looks but I walk right by for almost anything else.

Not my bag but the CU24 and the early McCarty models sound great, play great and feel great.

If I were playing hard rock I'd easily be able to make those guitars work for me.

Back in the early days Smith Incorporated nifty build ideas that deviated heftily from other guitar companies and they made their rounds through some distinguishable rock icons, leaving a blazing trail of followers.

I never became one, but I think the are often unfairly characterized as lacking when compared to other brands.

For me, I was never drawn to the players that they fancied on their published ads and quite honestly was turned off by some of their endorsers.

I knew a few legitimate pros that swore by them for live work and praised their versatility, and after seeing some local people use them with good results I changed my perception.

Still, they have never been on my radar and I really don't like the dish and way the body hangs on me. More a tactile indifference than a tonal one.

I've only ever played 2 and the necks just didn't do it for me,they were completely different too.

I did hold Simon McBride's from around the time he won Guitarist magazines Young Guitarist of The Year comp when he was 15,beautiful looking guitar,just not for me.

I'm down to just one PRS, it's one of the private reserve ones with 3 P90s. They look great but just don't inspire.

– CBell

GOtta say I agree. Haven't played one yet that really kicked my ass. I liked yours it was cool. But other than the amazing look and obvious fine craftsmanship they are not super inspiring

I know it's not 'cool' nor do I care... I love (before they kicked out their lead guitarist for schtupoing the lead singer's wife... DRAMA) Collective Soul and in their hit making days, 2 of the 3 guitars(lead guitarist and singer/guitarist) played PRS' including hollow bodies and I love that guitar sound

I didn't know what kind of guitars Ross played; I just knew I liked the tone

I also like Ross' use of an ebow IMO an under-utilised guitar tool

U2 (and a few other Brian Eno projects) use the Ebow well too

Anyway, IMO this performance has some great crunchy PRS tone

To clarify, I knew I loved the tone first, so I looked into it and found out he was playing PRS'

They sounded very good on the YouTube video where they play acoustic in Morocco also

I have an SE 24 Custom Semi-Hollow which I thoroughly enjoy playing live for different songs that don't fit my 5128. They are just different guitars for different types of music. I had always thought of getting a PRS since hearing David Grissom play one with Joe Ely's band. It took me until my 50th birthday to find the one that matched me, and no regrets since:

A good few years ago I had a silver face Fender Twin up for sale. A guy phoned and asked could he come round and try it. Sure, no problem. A couple of hours later I had Brinsley Schwarz sitting on my living room sofa with a PRS plugged into my amp -- and very good it sounded. Nice guy -- and he bought the amp.

I've tried several PRS guitars since. Without exception they were very well put together, but the only one I really liked was the little SE One with a single P90. As I already had an LP Junior I didn't go for the PRS.

Apologies for not reading all the posts before posting...

My experience trying out PRS guitars (pro line only, because that's all I've ever seen left-handed) was exactly the same as Sligo Ray's. I tend to believe that they're built for players who build their sound with effects pedals. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not my approach.

Playability: I've encountered two dogs and one honey.

Finish: looks like motor oil and/or someone's bad idea of furniture refinishing to me.

And I was predisposed to liking them, because I can be a little provincial and PRS is located in Maryland, where I live.

Paul/Ff909

Apologies for not reading all the posts before posting...

My experience trying out PRS guitars (pro line only, because that's all I've ever seen left-handed) was exactly the same as Sligo Ray's. I tend to believe that they're built for players who build their sound with effects pedals. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not my approach.

Playability: I've encountered two dogs and one honey.

Finish: looks like motor oil and/or someone's bad idea of furniture refinishing to me.

And I was predisposed to liking them, because I can be a little provincial and PRS is located in Maryland, where I live.

Paul/Ff909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Motor oil! That's about right. Those finishes are especially bothersome to me, being the nitro kinda guy that I am.

But PRS apparently sells more than his share of guitars. They appeal to certain players, but I sure don't get them.

Sascha which model is that? It looks cool!

I find USA Hamers much the same as PRS. Well built but uninspiring. Who'd be a guitar builder?? What a difficult lot to please we are! Where I live PRS are not very popular right now. They're not selling at the stores, that's for sure.

I think Gibson are onto something with their VOS finish. It seems popular and I absolutely love it. About as far away from the "dipped in glass" finish of PRS as you can get. I actually wouldn't mind if Gretsch started a similar finish. My Luther Dickinson 335 is hard to put down - I have been playing it a lot lately and the VOS finish helps it to just look like it's been around for ever even though it's not more than a year or two old. Mind you, my Gretsches are slowly getting there! The metal parts are all dulling nicely...

– JimmyR

That's a SE Santana P90 model. Found it online and I really like the looks of it. No fancy gimmicks, just a basic guitar. For a very (!) reasonable price. http://www.maxguitarstore.c...

I have nothing against PRS guitars, some are very pretty to look at, but I've never felt compelled to purchase one, and have never been sure why. But reading everyone else's posts about them makes me think the reason is some combination of what others felt they weren't crazy about.

Now Fanos, now yer talkin.' I have a used Fano on layaway at my local guitar emporium, paying for it with proceeds from gigs and CD sales, I hope to own it by end of summer. This one's a way-relic'd version, which I think is kind of silly, but the neck is spotless, and between that and its sound, I can overlook the bogus finish cracks and scratches.

My PRS when combined with my Rat 1986 distortion pedal and a little reverb sounds and plays amazingly well

I agree that clean, they sound a wee bit sterile although I have used EQ to make mine sound pretty good clean

It is a totally different thing than a Gretsch but I like them both - just like my Gretsches more!!!

After saying what I did and then reading all this, I have since been getting a bit interested in the SE Standard Santana Special, which is basically a double cutaway Les Paul Junior. It occurs to me that I like it because of a whole bunch of almost "not-PRS" features; it's not highly figured, it's probably got a basic character rather than being really versatile tonally, and it's affordable rather than a status trophy. Plus, the Santana model is a 24.5 scale and doesn't feel that big or extended out like the other singlecut models I tried.

Bird inlays? No no & thrice no.

"I have since been getting a bit interested in the SE Standard Santana Special"

Sligo Ray: And you could always take one of those P90s out and drop in a TV Jones T-Armond in a soapbar cover. Just sayin'....!

I'm with Sligo! I'm thinking that guitar looks pretty cool. Thanks Sascha! I think...

I once lusted for a black cherry Single Cut.

Then came Nickelback.

Haha! Yup, if you want to be talked out of an expensive PRS just listen to Nickelback. Or Santana.

PRS ruined Santana. His tone in the late 60s, 70s and even 80s was great when he played Gibson SGs, Les Pauls, Yamaha SBGs. Now, his tone is completely lifeless. What a waste. I wish he'd come to realize this. Not a fan of the PRS tone.

Two examples where artists have used PRS to great sounding effect IMO are the aforementioned Collective Soul, and Neal Schon

Btw, the documentary on Netflix, about how Journey found their new singer is inspiring

I was never into Journey in their heyday, being into The Clash, Dead Kennedys, the Police, etc but it's an inspiring story

Is that last one the SE Korina Singlecut?

– Sligo Ray

That's the SE Tremonti; they have mahogany bodies, and I don't think they're available in that natural/clear finish any longer.

I have an SE 24 Custom Semi-Hollow which I thoroughly enjoy playing live for different songs that don't fit my 5128. They are just different guitars for different types of music. I had always thought of getting a PRS since hearing David Grissom play one with Joe Ely's band. It took me until my 50th birthday to find the one that matched me, and no regrets since:

– Steeple923

Love the "slash" soundhole on those.

Ha! I got over it and bought a new amp head instead.

I was turned off to PRS by a very shallow reason. I worked for the largest law firm in Dallas Texas for 10 years in "facility coordination", fancy shmancy way of saying overglorified janitor and gopher. The laws had a band, and we were required to move their gear for their parties for the baby laws coming in. It was overtime, they knew I knew my way around bands and gear and setups, boards etc...I also became a glorified roadie for these guys. THEY NEVER EVER LET ME SIT IN!!..

These guys had a trust fund of gear, PRS, DW, Mesa, Modulus.. you get the drift. And... they couldn't play well alone or as a band. It was an appeasement of senior partners, no one dared told them they needed some practice...

Anyway, that put me off of them for yrs. Fast forward to 04, and myself and my lady are visiting family in Texas due to a several hundred K windfall of hers. We go to GC in Central Dallas and a McCarty caught my eye, but not my ear as I was in GC on a strange amp and not playing loud, it was uninspiring to say the least. I started to put it back in their hands and the sales guy comes over with a case and candy and says "here's all your stuff", Hey man, I'm just fooling around here.."She's not". I look over and she's waving a receipt around. She bought it for me, breaking the cardinal rule of let me try out a bunch. But I wasn't disappointed with the play and later I was taken by it's tone. I like it. I like my LP too, for different reasons.

One cannot complain about their construction other to say as others have, they are too perfect, too well heeled for a guitar. Mine grinds it up well, and I don't use distortion at all, just the amp itself and hot tubes. There are a ton of them out here in Hawaii, the Hawaii guys eat them up for some reason and just don't dig LP's...who knows why, but I think it has more to do with the shiny than the actual output...

Register Sign in to join the conversation