Gretsch Garage Sale

FS Eman Guitars Nashville Astro Jet

I am selling my Eman Guitars Astro Jet, in the never ending quest to shrink the collection.

For those of you not familiar with these guitars, here's the back story. In 2010 in Nashville a warehouse cache of Gretsch Corvette & Astro Jet bodies were found. There were hundreds, stored since they were milled in the mid 60s. Many people here and on the GDP purchased some. The mahogany was lighter than guitars made now and well-dried. David (Englishman on Gretsch Talk) bought one, but thinned the body as the Astro Jet is a big guitar. It's now the thickness of a Gibson SG. (The Astro Jet has been described as two SG smashed together and slightly melted in the sun.

The guitar features TV Jones SuperTron pickups, single volume control with no tone and a pickup selector switch. Stained cherry. Includes Strap Locks and a strap, plus non-original padded gig bag. Tele style bridge with through body stringing instead of original Burns vibrato. Replica pick guard.

The neck was made for me by Eman, modeled after the original AstroJet with the original Gumby style headstock. Mahogany with ebony fretboard and thumbnail markers. The neck is chunky with a nice D shape. Also stained cherry, which is redder than the body as the neck was made a few years after the body. It should fade over time. Bolt on instead of original set neck.

The guitar is comfortable to play, lighter than most Astro Jets. The SuperTrons give a slightly hotter FilterTron tone.

Looking for $600 plus shipping for GDPers. Will ship internationally, although the box might be too big depending on country.

PayPal only. PM me if interested.

Includes replica Astro Jet serial number plaque:

Nice -- probablly gone before I get home... but what's the exact weight... and what frets were used?

I wish I could pull this off. Very nice deal.

Nice -- probablly gone before I get home... but what's the exact weight... and what frets were used?

– DCBirdMan

I'll check when I get home tonight.

Looks great.

I don't recall you showing this one off.

– DCBirdMan

7.5 lbs. Medium jumbo frets.

Looks great.

I don't recall you showing this one off.

– crowbone

I picked it up in the past year. David did a nice job on it. It had a Tele neck on it originally, which explains the Tele bridge, as he called it the Astrocaster.

Well since it's larger frets, and under 8 pounds-- that's what I had hoped to hear. I'm in the usual mode tho -- have to sell something to get something new.

Well since it's larger frets, and under 8 pounds-- that's what I had hoped to hear. I'm in the usual mode tho -- have to sell something to get something new.

– DCBirdMan

I can relate to that.

Here's a short clip of David playing a Jazzmaster style baritone that he built for me this summer. Yes the fretboard was stained blue. Can't be too blue I always say.

I don’t think I have ever seen a blue fretboard before.

– Baba Joe

Special order. David sprayed it with transparent blue, then lacquer. Trying to get as much blue as possible on there. Looking to find blue JM pickup covers.

Westone did some Spectrums in the 1985-86 SX series with fingerboards painted body color. I remember blue and red. They looked great; paint was DuPont Imron, and was expected to hold up at least better than Fender's clear-over-maple board finishes. Nonetheless, I've seen a few worn through.

I have apparently led a sheltered life with respect to painted fretboards. Creative.

Creativity also comes to mind when thinking of the variations that have popped up with these Astro Jet bodies. They’re pretty cool.

I have apparently led a sheltered life with respect to painted fretboards. Creative.

Creativity also comes to mind when thinking of the variations that have popped up with these Astro Jet bodies. They’re pretty cool.

– Baba Joe

I once suggested a thread of all the Astro and Corvettes that were made.

I once suggested a thread of all the Astro and Corvettes that were made.

– drmilktruck

We used to have one...I think.

Register Sign in to join the conversation