Other Equipment

Too many EQ’s?

My acoustic guitars all have an onboard EQ. My LR Baggs Venue DI has an eq, my mixer has an eq. I can never really figure out where to best set eq. I usually set the guitar fairly flat with the sliders in the middle and then make most of my adjustments on the Venue DI and keep the mixer flat. But which one should I really be using? Are they all necessary?

My results seem to usually sound okay, but is there a best practice, i.e. is it best to eq you signal at the source first? What do you sound guys say?

Start with everything flat. EQ at the primary source when possible.

KISS, as always.

I make my biggest adjustments at my amp. I turn everything all the way up on my guitar.

The onboard EQ is specifically contoured for that pickup and should work best, but trust your ears.

Start with everything flat. EQ at the primary source when possible.

KISS, as always.

– wabash slim

I agree with this. I set everything flat on any outboard processors/preamps/pedals/D-Is AND the PA channel strip, and just tweak as needed from the guitar's onboard controls.

In very unusual situations (odd room acoustics, crappy house PA cabs) I might tweak a little more from the board.

Interesting. I found the biggest bang with the smallest change to occur on the pedal. I will experiment and try what you guys are saying. I also brought home a Fishman Spectrum Aura last night to try. The Baggs Venue DI doesn't physically fit on my Pedaltrain board now that I have taken the plunge into the Nova System. I run separate acoustic and electric rigs on the same board as I'm playing about 65/35 electric and acoustic.

Interestingly, the sound out of the Aura Spectrum seemed to be more pleasing than the Baggs Venue DI, and I didn't even get that deep into it last night.

Greg, this is what I've use for live performances for a few years now-- I've been very happy with it, and it has a surprisingly natural sound. I rarely use more than one or two settings, so perhaps it's overkill, but then again I'm performing with a band with other guitarists. If I were doing solo or duo gigs like you the extra bells & whistle might come in handy. I never use the full-on patch sounds, but rather I blend a little of the patch in with the original signal just to sweeten it a bit. It's pretty easy. Also, the unit is extremely quiet... virtually no hiss or background noise, and it can be programmed/tweaked on the fly if you wish. One of my favorite features is the built-in mute/tuner, which is very accurate.

Zoom A2.1u

What I've done for twenty years onstage with the Taks and their onboard EQs is to set up the guitar for the sound I like, then have the sound guy -who sometimes is me- tweak the EQ on the board for the room.

Follows the KISS idea, and the only pedal I use with them is volume.

Thanks, guys. I wasn't looking to change anything, as I've liked the Venue DI through the mixer. I only picked up the Aura Spectrum to try yesterday, as it takes up less footprint. The Venue DI is about 7.5 x 7.5 inches. Surprisingly I liked the sound of the Aura a bit better. The only think it doesn't have is a boost switch, but then again I've been using the switch less and less on the Venue because I'm trying to play more dynamically. I don't use any affects other than maybe a little echo or verb from the mixer on the acoustic, because I want it to sound as close to it does naturally, just amplified w/o feedback. For any tunes where effects are called for, I switch to the electric guitar.

I was curious about everyone's approach to eq, as everything seems to have its own eq these days.

Billy and Rob, Thanks. I guess I've been doing it wrong as well. Glad you asked the question, Zig.

Register Sign in to join the conversation