Gretsch Garage Sale

FREE to a needy chid: Dove style 12-string copy

I bought this from an older guy in a wheelchair who needed the money. I didn't really want it myself, but it helped the guy, and I thought I could fix it up and flip it to make a few bucks for my my medical mission trip to Guatemala.

BUT then some of my friends did some fundraising and some of you helped out, so instead of selling this, I'd rather give it to a kid in need. One good turn deserves another, so this is the nother one.

It's "Lawsuit" clone by Global. Currently strung with 6 strings, but it's a 12'er. Nice, straight neck and good frets. Adjustable bridge. Chip board case. Remarkably good quality! I just installed a Bridge Doctor system to correct the bellied top. It plays OK, not great. I also put on 12 new Ernie Ball Earthwood light gauge strings.

If anyone can help me identify a kid who wants to learn guitar, but can't afford one, I'll gladly ship it to you, so you can pass it along.

EDIT - for change from For Sale to For a Deserving Kid

Bump for free guitar, for a person not having one, but wanting/needing one! And, it's pretty!

A 12 string isn't for a beginner to learn on. You could donate it to a veteran's home.

I can attest that music can help with PTSD. You can also go to the various organizations like the American Legion or the VFW. Our state veteran's home is just a few miles away.

A Ronald McDonald house may be a good choice? Families traveling to get their child medical care probably would greatly appreciate an instrument if they play.

Yeah, the neck would be too wide for a child, but it would be a good guitar for those purposes. We have the CHildren's Hospital of Illinois in town, so I can check there, too. I know that families come from out of town.

I will keep you guys posted, once I call around. And if anyone hears of something in the mean time, please let me know.

Josh, your coolness factor keeps going way up.

I'm only cool by proxy. That's why I hang around with all of you cats!

An organization called "Guitars for Vets" accepts donations of guitars. And they have a chapter or two in the Chicago area.

Page down at this link, & you'll see contact info for their many local chapters.

Link

That's exactly what I was looking for! I will email the Illinois chapters. Thank you!

An organization called "Guitars for Vets" accepts donations of guitars. And they have a chapter or two in the Chicago area.

Page down at this link, & you'll see contact info for their many local chapters.

Link

– geoguy

I donated a CVT to my local chapter of Guitars for Vets. (And probably will again.) They were very appreciative. Good for you, Josh!

I emailed the two Chicago chapters. I hope to hear back!

Register Sign in to join the conversation