Gretsch Garage Sale

FS: ‘73 Traynor BassMaster YBA1A

I am selling my Feb. 1973 Traynor Bass Master YBA1A Mark II. It's rated at 90 watts from 2 EL34's and has 3 12AX7's. Tubes are Sovtek power and EHX pre. A 3 prong cord had been installed before I purchased it. I don't see any other mods or changes. I hear a little power transformer hum when it's on, but not when you play. The fan works and is quiet, all controls and inputs work. It has some scuffs on the bumpers and what look like tiny paint spatters. The back panel is missing. $600 shipped to the continental USA only.

See my Reverb.com listing here: https://reverb.com/item/910...

I have had exactly the same amp for the past 20-plus years and it remains my main gigging amp. These things are as tough as old boots and sound great (although I thought the two EL34s put out more like 45W -- either way, they go very loud). Good luck with the sale, JeffH -- I can't imagine you'll have much trouble moving this one on.

They used to call the late 60s early 70s Traynors 'the Canadian Marshall"

They used to call the late 60s early 70s Traynors 'the Canadian Marshall"

– DCBirdMan

At a fraction of the price! YBA heads are built to last and last and last and...... GLWS

There was more than one version...show us the schematic on the inside of the lid.

Schematic per request

Billy, I would love to hear your thoughts on these amps. I agree the 90 watts seems like a lot for two EL34s.

I have an earlier YBA1 which is rated at 45 watts and I’m keeping that one. Just trying to make some room by selling this one.

How high is the B+ voltage? I can't make it out in he photo, but it looks like the one with really high plate voltage.

The schematic reads 537 volts at wall current of 117v.

As I recall, those are very loud, clean, and heavy. It's probably a decent Bass amp.

This is the really cool Rock Guitar version. I cut most of the X albums with one. It had a great tone, although Ray always ruined that tone in the control room because he hated distorted guitar chords. Note the high-pass filter, no cathode follower, and no choke.

Cool to know, Billy; I had thought you were into solid state Randall amps during that period. Maybe those came later?

Not with X. I like Randalls, and I've used them for Rockabilly. I couldn't afford them back in the day. It was cheaper to just build something.

This is the really cool Rock Guitar version. I cut most of the X albums with one. It had a great tone, although Ray always ruined that tone in the control room because he hated distorted guitar chords. Note the high-pass filter, no cathode follower, and no choke.

– Billy Zoom

I can't really see the schematic that clearly, what version is this one? I'll search the web and print it off. I can't magnify it here I have an old yba-1 with a tube rectifier and 6CA7? I believe they are basically el-34's

Register Sign in to join the conversation