Gretsch Garage Sale

FS 2014 Gretsch G9202 Honey Dipper Round Neck Resonator Delta Blue …

I picked this up earlier this spring. Had been looking for one for awhile. Damn good looking guitar. Nice loud brash resonator tone. But another guitar is calling me and so this one has to go. Excellent condition, only a few scratches on the back.

$419 plus shipping without case, $469 with case. PayPal only.

BUMP, $439 plus shipping with the case.

Ain't nobody in the market for a decent reso around here? That's pretty much a steal right there.

Buy this guitar, spend $25 on a quality steel bar and some good finger picks, and you'll be Blind Melon Chitlin' reincarnated.

GLWS

it is a great deal. Wish I had the jack and the talent to play one, correctly. Very nice though.

Ain't nobody in the market for a decent reso around here? That's pretty much a steal right there.

Buy this guitar, spend $25 on a quality steel bar and some good finger picks, and you'll be Blind Melon Chitlin' reincarnated.

GLWS

– Tartan Phantom

Rob, that would be the case if it were a square neck, but this one is a round neck.

Rob, that would be the case if it were a square neck, but this one is a round neck.

– Ric12string

I'll have to disagree, Bob. My roundneck is perfectly servicable for lap play. In fact, that's about the only way I play it. That's the beauty of the roundneck vs. the squareneck. it can be played either way. If set up properly, you don't even need a riser nut. I have mine set with action low enough to play traditionally without pulling out of intonation, but still just high enough to use in lap position. Folks who played mine at the Nashville Roundup (or who heard me play it) can attest to this... plenty of volume and no fret-dragging if you know how to use a tone bar.

On the other hand, the squareneck is purpose-built for lap play, which somewhat limits its versatility.

Last price drop. $399 plus shipping, no case. With case $419 plus shipping.

I'll have to disagree, Bob. My roundneck is perfectly servicable for lap play. In fact, that's about the only way I play it. That's the beauty of the roundneck vs. the squareneck. it can be played either way. If set up properly, you don't even need a riser nut. I have mine set with action low enough to play traditionally without pulling out of intonation, but still just high enough to use in lap position. Folks who played mine at the Nashville Roundup (or who heard me play it) can attest to this... plenty of volume and no fret-dragging if you know how to use a tone bar.

On the other hand, the squareneck is purpose-built for lap play, which somewhat limits its versatility.

– Tartan Phantom

Naturally, I will take your word for it. However, I would think that there could be some occasional clunking of the bar against the frets. I have certainly seen round necks that have been converted with a device at the nut that raised the string height. Do you have your action set a bit higher than normal to allow this?

I'm with Rob on this one - my Gretsch reso (I forget the model) came set up with action that works for both lap and fretted playing. It's a little stout for fretting acrobatics, but to really exercise a resonator cone you want to give the strings plenty of orbit anyway.

I'm also with R12 - I definitely get some occasional bar noise against the frets, which I consider part of the sonic package with a reso. (My "style" is way more Delta than Nashville, and doesn't have to be pristine lacy-perfect all the time. With more care and delicacy, the effect can be minimized.)

I do have a nut-lifter-riser-raiser/call-it-what-you-will on my ancient National biscuit-bridge model, making it a lap-only device. It has heavier strings which are a real workout for fretted playing, but sound great. (Also, the neck would need some work to be perfectly playable as a fretted guitar.)

Anyway, it's certainly possible to have a reso you happily use either way.

The argument for a square-neck - which I thought was a load of hooey till I proved it to myself - is that the big honkin' square neck increases the resonance of the instrument, making it bigger bolder and louder. I was able to play otherwise identical versions of the same model, one round and one square...and I heard it. The square-neck sounds bigger and richer.

The trade-off being, of course, that it's a lap-only instrument.

This blue Honeydipper is gorgeous. Lap or fretted (or both), someone's going to make themselves very happy.

Is this Delta Blue still available ?

Register Sign in to join the conversation