Gretsch Garage Sale

Sold: 2003 G6122-1959 Nashville Classic

This is a JT03 Nashville Classic. It's one of the first of the '59 Country Gentleman reissues and has Paul Yandell's signature on the rear of the headstock. When I purchased it in 2008 it came with a gold roller bridge which I have replaced with a brass Tru-Arc. I'm not aware of any other modifications to the guitar. I'm asking $1,700 USD plus actual FedEx shipping costs to your location. If I can't find a buyer here I'll list it on eBay & Reverb, likely at a higher price. I can provide more photos if you need them.

Here's a photo of Paul's signature.

That is a very fair price for this guitar. I paid more than that for mine used. What is written beneath Paul Yandell's signature?

Except it's a 6122. Slight typo in the topic title might confuse people, or result in less attention than the guitar deserves.

I'm corresponding now with a guy who's looking for one; I'll forward this to him.

That is a very fair price for this guitar. I paid more than that for mine used. What is written beneath Paul Yandell's signature?

– Ric12string

I think that is 4 04, which would mean Paul would have signed it in April of '04. He usually dates his sig when he signs a guitar.

Except it's a 6122. Slight typo in the topic title might confuse people, or result in less attention than the guitar deserves.

I'm corresponding now with a guy who's looking for one; I'll forward this to him.

– Proteus

Thanks for pointing out the typo Tim. I've made the correction.

What pickups are on the guitar? Is this the same as the HOF model with a figured maple body and a 1 3/4" neck at the nut?

Supertron neck and Classic Plus bridge PUs. Great combo. 1 3/4 nut. The guitar is the same as the HOF which rarely shows up. I have one like above. Great guitar. Good luck with the sale.

Caliban, I messaged you with info on a possible buyer.

And DAMmit, these are gorgeous guitars. I keep coming back to look at the picture, when there's one in a case right behind me.

They're just that handsome. There's just no handsomer guitar.

Pure class, the ultimate in a luxury cruiser of an electric guitar.

I mean, I'm just saying. Real good-looking.

Ain't them good-looking guitars!?

GORGEOUS guitar! I have a '59 (2008) that -- like yours -- is a burgundy/merlot color. NOT BROWN! I'm still in love with it after more than 10 years.

White Falcon nothwithstanding [for some folks] this for me has always been Gretsch's flagship model. It's only had a few different looks over the years and today's version such as this one, is as handsome and classy as it gets!

And DAMmit, these are gorgeous guitars. I keep coming back to look at the picture, when there's one in a case right behind me.

They're just that handsome. There's just no handsomer guitar.

Pure class, the ultimate in a luxury cruiser of an electric guitar.

I mean, I'm just saying. Real good-looking.

Ain't them good-looking guitars!?

– Proteus

Be still my heart! Some day.....some day.....

I bought mine new in '04, and Paul also signed mine - in July of '04, at the CAAS. It will always be my dream guitar. Same as my wife, I love it more every day.

Any interest in a trade? I have stuff.

I have the HOF. By far the best guitar I own, am so thankful to have it.

Hi, I am a new member of the Gretsch Pages and the new owner of this Nashville Classic guitar. Thanks Chris for selling and thanks Tim Harman for putting me onto it. All I can say is that I have finally attained a sound that satisfies me. The road to satisfaction is hard to explain since each subtle increment is a different aspect of the whole. This guitar simply has the tone quality that 'approaches' what I hear on Chets recording. Currently I am playing through a Rivera modified Fender Deluxe. The rest is now up to me and my playing ability with practice, practice, practice. Already I can see that in some parts of the tune I need to use the thumb pick for all three notes of an arpegio rather than the thumb and two fingers. Having this guitar showed me that. I don't have the best of fingernails anyway but in this case I believe Chet used the thumbpick. The tune by the way is 'I Love How you Love Me', a simple tune but with some of those rifs that just capture you the first time you hear them.

My other Gretschs are a Red 6120 which I bought in 1962 and a G6122-1962 which I bought in 2010. The 62120 had a unique 1st position tone, and the 1962 got me closer to where I wanted to be.

Thanks again, Gary Root

Incidently I am 76, have been playing since I was 20 with 13 years off in between. I played so much back then that one week during vacation I played the same tune 8 hours a day all week. Luckily I am still married.

Welcome aboard, Gary! It sure is good to see that Tim sent you here. Sounds like you found "The ONE."

Congrats!

Sounds like you're pretty dedicated, Gary. You've got the right guitar now, and sounds like the amp is a good fit too. Congratulations.

Congrats. Also owning a 6122-1959, I know what you mean about the sound. Coincidentally, I first met Proteus at a New Jersey Roundup in 2011 at which he helped convince me to buy one which I promptly did. Great choice and I’m not even a finger picker. I see that yours already has a Tru-Arc bridge. Good but if he talks to you about a Serpentune, listen and take his advice.

Welcome to the GDP. Remember our mantra - pics or it didn’t happen. Please add all of your Gretsches to our registry. A lot of people here would especially like to see your vintage 6120.

I'll gets some pics together. I paid 600$ for the 6120. I played it as is for quite a few years but was never satisfied in the intonation. Then I ran across a luthier that discovered that the zero fret was off 1/32 of an inch. At one point the fingerboard separated so I sent it to Nashville and had Shot Jackson repair it. I appreciate the quick feedback on my post and the interest. I'm old school and change comes hard. Back when I was learning I used a variac to turn down the speed of my turntable so I could get the notes. I've also done quite a bit of tabbing. I was thinking about a surpentune and I plan to look into that at some point. Right now the intonation is a tad high on all notes but since the bridge is pinned I'll have to address that at some point. It's close enough at this point to satisfy me going forward for awhile.

Thanks again, Gary

Welcome and Congratulations! You have a beautiful guitar!

While I was preparing for the sale of this guitar I came across an old post on the Mister Guitar web site. It's an interview with Paul Yandell.

Paul Yandell Interview

Register Sign in to join the conversation