Gretsch Garage Sale

FS: 2001 Super Gretsch

I had one once... Had to sell it... Would love to have one again. Fabulous axes...!!!

Caliban, what's the scale and weight on this?

– NJBob

Mine was 25 1/2 scale IIRC...Caliban could confirm.

Here's what I know about this model:

Body Back: Laminated Maple

Body Sides: Laminated Maple

Body Top: Laminated Maple

Body Finish: Gloss Urethane

Bracing: Parallel tone bars & sound post

Body Depth: 2.5"

Body Width: 17"

Neck: 2 piece rock maple

Number of Frets: 22

Fingerboard Radius: Unknown – expected to be 12”

Fretboard: Ebony

Nut Width: Unknown, but expected to be 1.6875"

Scale Length: 25.5"

Pickups: High Sensitive Filter'Tron – expected to be ceramic

Pickup Switching: Three way switch

Bridge: Ebony-Based TOM style roller

Vibrato: Bigsby B6G

Tuning Machines: Unknown Gretsch branded

Place of manufacture: Japan – expected to be Terada

I don't have a scale; don't know the weight of the guitar

Would be nice to see it sell here. This model and the vintage original are among the most beautiful Gretsch ever made.

That guitar is a looker! Is that neck more similar to the Super Axe neck than other standard Gretsch models?

That guitar is a looker! Is that neck more similar to the Super Axe neck than other standard Gretsch models?

– NezJr

There's no reason to think the neck profile isn't whatever Gretsch was producing when it was made, and has no relationship to any vintage model, even the Super Chet it was emulating. The fact it doesn't have the wider neck of the early SC's pretty much sums things up.

– NezJr

I've never played a Super Ax, so I can't compare the two necks. The neck on this guitar has a moderate "C" contour and feels similar to other modern era Gretsch guitars I own now and have owned in the past. As Windsordave has commented, it doesn't have the 1.75" nut width that some 70'sera Super Chets had.

I have Chet's prototype Super Axe and it has the 'regular' moderate C profile, same as the majority of Gretsch models both vintage and re-issue. It bears no relationship to the neck on the early Super Chet's.

Some one needs to buy this awesome guitar.

It's a beautiful guitar. The body shape is one of Gretsch's most unique designs. If I had some disposable income and the collecting bug I'd be all over it. I ended up picking up Deluxe Chet couple years back.

I’m one scratch ticket from buying it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation