Gretsch Garage Sale

For Sale: Roland Space Echo RE-301 (VGC)

Yes, that's right, I'm selling an actual RE-301, that vintage magic box of Setzer-esque sizzle and slapback.

Here's the rundown:

Pros

• The sound. I mean, why else does Setzer use these exclusively?

• It's in great working order / condition and ready to go — a local service tech who knows these machines well did head cleaning, alignment, pinch roller and tape loop replacement and a good general going over. That was a few years back, and she is still going strong.

• It comes with the Billy Zoom JFET mod to one of the input channels. I don't claim to know the technical details of what this mod accomplishes, but I think it has something to do with impedance correction. Anyway, it does noticeably increase the guitar signal when utilized, so that's a good thing. More info here: Link

• It has not been gigged or carted around — just used very sporadically in my home. And have I already mentioned that everything (even the chorus) works?

• These days there are a lot of sources for good quality tape loops and replacement parts — tape loops, pads, rollers, transformers, even motors — in case maintenance is needed down the line. Check it out

Cons:

• The only minus is the lid is missing, which is how I bought it. Someone needs to make one. I even have lid hinges and tolex ready for that. (I'm no carpenter, but who knows, I may get inspired to try my hand at making one for you... if I can manage not to cut my finger off doing it.)

As with my last sale, I'll post here first, then on Reverb, eSlay, etc. Price is negotiable. If listed on those sites, it'l go up for around $1,500, but significant discounts apply to GDP members.

Might/could be open to an interesting trade also.

Photo here is not of my actual Space Echo (this one has a lid!), so it's for reference only. Actual photos of the unit coming soon.

It is pretty uncommon to see one of these come up for sale, isn't it?

– Ric12string

One that is running, and rebuilt..yes. Most are gutless wonders of hell

bz's input mod, i'd think, was to make the unit more guitar friendly..they were originally intended more for mixing board impedances...back in the day, clubs would use roland tape echo's for live sound...mixed quite a few shows in the nyc clubs with them...cb's, max's, great gildersleeves

they were replaced by the first mxr rack digi echo's

that was the genesis

cheers

These are beautiful looking and sound great . What are the main differences between this and a 201 other than chorus ?

These are beautiful looking and sound great . What are the main differences between this and a 201 other than chorus ?

– eCastro

Tavo is our resident expert extraordinaire on the differences large and small. I'll save him the trouble of typing up a long reply — here is his answer from 2009 (found on Gretsch Talk), and no doubt he'll have a bit more to add:

main difference between the 201 and the 301 is that the earlier model utilized transistors and carbon comp resistors. the headroom wasnt very good and thus the low end was bloated sounding in the bass and farted out when pushed, the carbon comp resistors tolerances were not good and at this day and age, values have drifted. Lots of noise and hiss....

the later RE301 moved to an Op-amp / IC chip for its preamp and carbon film resistors. Tighter Bass, Bigger head room and a quieter noise floor.

– Ric12string

They are rare and becoming rarer. The most common source I see for refurbished models — at least on eBay— is Japan.

Calling Brian Setzer...

Look here!

– Twangmeisternyc

it needs to be in blonde tolex now Red get out the tolex

I sold mine to fellow Chicagoan Jeff Tweedy. As far as I know, it is forever part of The Loft. He had a wildly flamed '60 6120 that I got to play. And seemingly one of every guitar, amp, pedal, and drum and keyboard ever made.

Well, clearly Jeff needs a backup.

I sold mine to fellow Chicagoan Jeff Tweedy. As far as I know, it is forever part of The Loft. He had a wildly flamed '60 6120 that I got to play. And seemingly one of every guitar, amp, pedal, and drum and keyboard ever made.

– JBGretschGuy

You’ve been in The Loft?

So, now through the magical powers of video, you too can visit The Wilco Loft ....

(And no, Tweedy has not bought my Space Echo yet, so it's still for sale here on GDP):

You’ve been in The Loft?

– fieldhdj

Yessir! And it was mind blowing. It's on the Northwest Side of Chicago near one of my favorite Irish pubs.

There have been a couple "Loft" segments here on GDP...What a lot of stuff!

No doubt they need to sell a few things perpetually...

Then I think of those on GDP who think they have too much "stuff"...

No worries, you don't! (Hint to Proteus)

Hey Toxophilite, yeah, I looked back and to confirm I never received your PM.... I'll send you a direct email.

Hi Red I replied to your direct email.

Register Sign in to join the conversation