Gretsch Garage Sale

FOR SALE 2003 COUNTRY CLASSIC 6122

Congratulations, Eric. Was your sale here on the GDP? Or through another site like Reverb?

Oh yeah ... Please don't delete your posts in this thread just because you have sold the guitar. It leaves an educational trail for others who may have the same guitar and eventually may want to sell it.

It sold here to a fellow GDPer!Thanks for all your support Ric12string.

I’m looking forward to having my first proline!

So, will I need to replace the pickups with TV Jones?

Congrats and welcome. Great start. You only need to replace pickups if you’re not satisfied with what you have. I would hold off and see if you like them. Don’t start off by wondering “what if”. It’s a pro line and good as is. That said, I have TVJ’s in mine and am quite happy.

DavidE, I don't think you will necessarily have to do so. There are many people who get on quite well with HS Filter'Trons, which is what I presume is in that guitar. Because of my own hearing peculiarities, however, I find that the HS Filters are slightly dark for me. I need to hear the sparkle that the higher frequencies create. TV Jones' Classic pickups tend to have more of that high end sparkle and so I tend to lean in that direction. Fortunately, however, when I bought my G6122SP, it came with TV Classics already.

Like others have said, don't do anything immediately. Instead, take your time and really get to know the guitar. Spend a couple of months playing it under varying circumstances and see how those pickups perform. They will most likely be just fine. But, if not, you know where to turn to make a change.

I need to clean this thread up. When I asked specific questions, he responded:

"The guitar is in near mint condition.It apparently wasnt played much."

Do you consider this to be in near mint condition??

Really there are surface scratches and marks all over.

That looks really clean. Yes, it looks to be in excellent condition from the pictures you posted. I'd be very happy to receive a 14 year old guitar in that shape. Congratulations!

Dave, I probably would have rated it as Very Good or VG++.

The reality of things is that, with a fourteen year-old guitar, there are going to be surface swirls on it from everyday use. But, there are no scratches or dings, at least that I can see. You may even be able to buff out those swirls if you know someone who has a buffing wheel. There are also some polishes that I have seen demonstrated at the NAMM Show which remove those surface swirls. So, look around online and see what is out there.

I heard good things about Eternashine scratch remover.

Meguiar's works very well, too. Just be very careful.

You got one heck of a guitar for $1200. It won't be quite as pretty as a showroom new model but you did not spend showroom new money. Excellent condition is not a stretch from the pictures you've shown.

I have purchased several used guitars and wondered at the "use" on several. Kind of a buyer's ... not remorse ... but wariness. I think that's what you have here. If you still don't like it, send me a PM and we'll talk.

FWIW, the surface looks a little like the wrong kind of rag was used to polish it. Those marks remind me of so many car finishes over the years where the tiny bits of grit in a "polishing rag" caused swirl marks in the finish that look a little like so many threads of a spider's web.

A little judiciously-applied elbow grease, some Meguiars or similar gentle polish and I think it will come back wonderfully. Those little scratches don't look all that deep.

That looks really clean. Yes, it looks to be in excellent condition from the pictures you posted. I'd be very happy to receive a 14 year old guitar in that shape. Congratulations!

– Bluecap

Age has nothing to do with a description of a condition. Not this this as said excellent condition for its age anyway. I have 14 year old guitars that are in truly excellent condition. This one is not.

Age has nothing to do with a description of a condition. Not this this as said excellent condition for its age anyway. I have 14 year old guitars that are in truly excellent condition. This one is not.

– DavidE

What is the point of asking a question? You asked what my opinion was, I already knew what you thought. You're obviously looking for folks to side with you; looks to me like you're coming up empty handed. You want new? Buy new! This guitar is in excellent condition. Enjoy it in good health, it's yours now!

Dave, unless the guitar looks much worse in person than it does in these pictures, that seems excellent condition to me too. And photographic light usually reveals more imperfections than you can see in natural light. (Though, conversely, I've had a hard time making flaws show up when I was trying to take warts-and-all auction pics, so it can work both ways.)

But with just these images to go on, I have to say my most babied guitars show that kind of surface hazing when I get them on the bench under the merciless work light. (And that's not even quite hazing...doesn't appear to scratching...maybe Curt will know what to call it.)

I like to keep guitars looking new, but I also like to play them - and over a few years they all collect evidence of having been touched. I keep a bottle of Meguiar's Scratch-X 2.0 (from the auto-parts emporium down the street) at my guitar bench, and routinely buff surfaces like that back to pure smooth new condition with nothing more than a soft rag. It's very forgiving stuff; you couldn't possibly rub through a finish. It's not quite magic - but it's almost like it just erases those fine surface scuffs. (Rub long enough, and it will take out honest-tew-Gawd real scratches, too. But I just don't see any in those pics. Maybe what you're seeing isn't showing up here.)

That guitar seemed a ridiculously good deal to me - just what I paid for mine 12 years ago - and if I coulda, I woulda. I'd still be happy to trade my way into that one.

I'm not going to argue interpretations, just tell you mine. A guitar that's new is to me, in "perfect" condition. Once owned and played, the best that can be expected for me, and I would think most folks, is "excellent". That doesn't mean it doesn't have marks in the finish, or that the gold is starting to lose its luster, but is simply free of worn finish, dents, dings, chips, worn frets or any electrical issues.

Obviously you aren't pleased by the term used to describe the guitar's condition when offered for sale and I feel for you, but I would never, ever expect a used guitar, and especially one that's 14 years old, to still be in brand new condition unless it was advertised as having been brought home from the store where had been purchased and never played or the case even being opened since. That would be a description of a not-brand-new guitar being as close to 'perfect' as is possible.

And again in my case, I wouldn't expect a guitar offered at the price it was to be "perfect"...that's an unrealistic expectation, I'm afraid.

Such a killer deal too, man...

Register Sign in to join the conversation