Gretsch Garage Sale

SOLD: 1953 Gretsch Electro II

I am no fan of sunburst finishes, but that there is beautiful!

Good luck with the sale.

Good pic of the "handcatcher".

– Windsordave

You know this one, Dave?

I STILL love mine. Most of my guitars get flipped, but not the Electro II. That one is a BEAUTY. Looks like very little binding shrinkage. Binding rot wasn't a problem with this year/model. I think only the pickup risers were celluloid. He mentions Alex Shultz...his video with Piazza is what made me NEED this guitar. A few years ago, Alex played mine. I'd refretted it and set it up. While I was handing it to him, he was saying, "Yeah...I just couldn't keep playing it...the neck is just too weird and it just feels like such a struggle...holy CRAP! This one feels totally normal. What a great player. What did you DO to this thing?" I felt pretty good about that.

You know this one, Dave?

– crowbone

No, no affiliation or info on this guitar. I'm the one who began the reference to the part of the top still intact - not made flush with the neck in the cutaway - that I found present on my Fleetwood ( still not restored) that my luthier Nicole dubbed a "handcatcher". This ugly feature was present on the early Gretsch (and a few other brands) cutaways before they learned how to make a proper cutaway seen ever since.

Couldn't resist a jab at this one.

beautiful guitar...great craigs post!!!...pics and links..bravo!

cheers

ooooo weee compared to 6120 prices thats a sweet guitar

I've never caught my hand on the hand catcher.

– charlie chitlins

No one has. It's physically impossible.

Way cool case with this one. Saw it on FB yesterday.

What a perfectly wonderful dreamboat! It even has the rare - and beautifully graceful - followthrough of the body into the lower cutaway, so it doesn’t look like the neck chopped off the body there.

To pick a nit, I could maybe do without the pickguard intrusion into that cutaway. But otherwise, this babe’s got it all - vivid sunburst, unusually strong flame, Art Deco tailpiece (and original bridge base), script logo and Synchromatic, and of course holy Dynasonics. Spruce top! Osocool clear knobs. And the case: pebblegator with G-logo? Yeahman!

Hard not to lust after this historic Country Club antecedent.

Everybody knows my love for the Electro II. If only I had the money....

Nice Electro! Looks like it has had some fine fretboard/neck work done. The whole 'handcatcher' thing is a misnomer, usually applied by those who have never played them . I've had a couple arch tops like that (including an electro 2) and it's never a problem or issue in reality of usage, just in the imagination of those speculating from afar.

That is gorgeous,all the best with it Jump!

Feel free to make a reasonable offer. This is an awesome guitar, but I've got an old Silvertone with a nearly identical body shape, so no need for both.

I stand by my original comments. I've played two vintage instruments with this early attempt at a proper cutaway and don't like it. Aside from those who don't find it irritating to play, it's just plain ugly and the fact they quickly learned this wasn't the proper way to do a cutaway is evidenced by the fact this style of manufacture quickly disappeared forever. This style looks like a very amatuerish attempt by hacking into an existing archtop body and almost countersinking the neck into the cutout hole, then adding the cutaway afterwards. Playability aside it isn't a thing of beauty, aesthetically speaking.

I stand by my original comments. I've played two vintage instruments with this early attempt at a proper cutaway and don't like it. Aside from those who don't find it irritating to play, it's just plain ugly and the fact they quickly learned this wasn't the proper way to do a cutaway is evidenced by the fact this style of manufacture quickly disappeared forever. This style looks like a very amatuerish attempt by hacking into an existing archtop body and almost countersinking the neck into the cutout hole, then adding the cutaway afterwards. Playability aside it isn't a thing of beauty, aesthetically speaking.

– Windsordave

Beauty is subjective. To me, it gorgeous.

"Bucket List" material, sure wish I could swing it

– Windsordave

Dave Fer cryin' out loud! You are bashing a guys guitar that he's trying to sell.

Anyone who is interested in this beautiful guitar, please ignore this particular comment . The cutaway is not at all a bad feature. That is simply someone's personal aesthetic opinion and not at all a practical consideration.

The pope speaking ex cathedra - or Dave expressing an opinion. Same resonance of infallibility. Surely we're used to it!

Beautiful example. As a bit of Gretsch stuff I haven't seen before is the faux alligator Lifton case, specifically the underside of the case top. That's probably the first time we see extruded "G" but this is not the streamlined one we begin to see in '55. Good luck with the sale.

Register Sign in to join the conversation