Gretsch Garage Sale

sold

Sounds like a helluva deal to me. Somebody write this boy a check!

This looks like a doozy! What did I miss?

This looks like a doozy! What did I miss?

– atomicwash

We'll never know.

I don't get bothered by most stuff. I am relatively good about allowing much stuff to roll off my back. But, the one thing that puts a burr under my saddle, so to speak, is when sale threads get deleted like this one. I can't see any reason why they need to be deleted. All that needs to occur once the guitar is sold is a final post in the thread that says the guitar has been sold. But, deleting the original post leaves no trail of information to the next guy who has the same guitar and wants to sell it, or for the potential buyer for the model of guitar.

So that you are not left entirely in the dark, CB, this was a sale thread for a G6122-II Country Classic. It was a lovely guitar in good condition. No mutes, as I recall.

I knew it'd be just a matter of time before you'd pipe in, Bob, but don't you feel that if the server is low on space that deleting these types of posts will be ultimately better?

I knew it'd be just a matter of time before you'd pipe in, Bob, but don't you feel that if the server is low on space that deleting these types of posts will be ultimately better?

– crowbone

No. That kind of a post provides information for you and me who want to sell or buy that model of guitar. There are many threads on the GDP that I would consider a waste of space, but that would definitely not be one of them.

No. That kind of a post provides information for you and me who want to sell or buy that model of guitar. There are many threads on the GDP that I would consider a waste of space, but that would definitely not be one of them.

– Ric12string

Really? I would argue that after an item has been sold, (and one which you rarely actually see the actual "sold" price of) it's usefulness is gone beyond finding which GDPer can claim it as their own now.

Knowing the listing price and tracking the response, as well as price reductions, are all valuable pieces of information for those buying and selling guitars.

Knowing the listing price and tracking the response, as well as price reductions, are all valuable pieces of information for those buying and selling guitars.

– Ric12string

Agreed, but truthfully, you rarely see the going price for things sold here, so it's use as a resource becomes reduced to only what you might list it as what a seller wants, and frankly, ebay does the same thing, and with their filtering, you get to see what more than one of the same model has sold for, and can figure an average from that.

– Ric12string

I agree. Valuable information (and sweet photos).

If it's no longer my guitar, what business do I have keeping photos and information of the transaction posted online? As far as I'm concerned, any details of a completed sale regarding the selling price, photos of the guitar, etc., is nobody's business but mine and the gentleman who paid me for it.

THREE TIMES in the history of me selling a guitar online have I had a future owner (somebody beyond who I sold it to) find information online and contact me months or even years later asking me either details of the guitar or details of the transaction itself (mods, what was original or installed when I sold it, selling price to the guy who then sold it to them, blah blah blah). I once sold a Fender Jaguar and was contacted a YEAR AND A HALF LATER by a guy who wanted to compare "my details" about the guitar to the details being given to him by the seller... As if I have ANY business getting involved in some future sale of the guitar. I enjoy looking at pictures of gear as much as anybody, but I feel zero obligation to record a sale of a guitar online for posterity's sake.

Fair enough for me as long as you forward a few bucks of the sale to Baxter.

Fair enough for me as long as you forward a few bucks of the sale to Baxter.

– sascha

Not sold here on TGP but I went ahead and did anyways.

Londonbus, I think that you have misunderstood my intentions. It is not to assist a subsequent buyer of your now ex-guitar to talk to you about the details of the guitar so as to compare them with what the current owner is now advertising it to be.

Imagine that I own a G6122-II Country Classic, but have no idea what price to list it at. Or, conversely, assume that I am in the market to buy one of these and would like to know what other guitars of that make/model have sold for. Being able to see what your guitar was listed for, what kind of response it received, whether or not you had to reduce the price in order to obtain a sale, and the price that it eventually sold for is all valuable information for either a buyer or seller such as these. It helps them understand the market for this guitar better than without your sale information.

If you don't want to reveal any details about your transaction, that is certainly your right. But, then, I would ask why you would want to post it on this site? Why use the site to enable you to sell your guitar but then not be willing to assist other GDPers who come to the GDP to find information that might benefit as they look to buy or sell that model guitar? It seems like a very modest thing to ask of a seller in exchange for their attempting to sell a guitar on the forum.

Not looking to pick any fight with you because I know from your prior posts that you are a decent guy. But, this does seem a bit odd to me.

Londonbus, I think that you have misunderstood my intentions. It is not to assist a subsequent buyer of your now ex-guitar to talk to you about the details of the guitar so as to compare them with what the current owner is now advertising it to be.

Imagine that I own a G6122-II Country Classic, but have no idea what price to list it at. Or, conversely, assume that I am in the market to buy one of these and would like to know what other guitars of that make/model have sold for. Being able to see what your guitar was listed for, what kind of response it received, whether or not you had to reduce the price in order to obtain a sale, and the price that it eventually sold for is all valuable information for either a buyer or seller such as these. It helps them understand the market for this guitar better than without your sale information.

If you don't want to reveal any details about your transaction, that is certainly your right. But, then, I would ask why you would want to post it on this site? Why use the site to enable you to sell your guitar but then not be willing to assist other GDPers who come to the GDP to find information that might benefit as they look to buy or sell that model guitar? It seems like a very modest thing to ask of a seller in exchange for their attempting to sell a guitar on the forum.

Not looking to pick any fight with you because I know from your prior posts that you are a decent guy. But, this does seem a bit odd to me.

– Ric12string

I'll go back to Ebay being a better tool to find things like this out, where the Garage Sale section is more like Craigslist.

I've been looking, and I don't really see any posts that include the details of a sale, but occasionally someone will edit the header and add the word SOLD into the title. Details of the actual sale? If they're listed somewhere on this site, I've never seen them.

If you don't want to reveal any details about your transaction, that is certainly your right. But, then, I would ask why you would want to post it on this site?

• Well, I would think that offering something of interest to the folks on here, possibly at a discount, before going to Ebay, might be the motivation. I've seen that listed as the reason it's listed here before, and don't find it odd that they aren't posting that, after the sale, the "Mystery Model Gretsch" guitar sold for 'X' amount to "Thus and Such user" who lives in Bumshoot, Indiana. It just doesn't happen.

CB, I like you too much to argue with you. I would point out, however, that most other forums don't even allow you to edit your posts. So, what would a GDP seller do under those circumstances?

Ric12,

I feel the same. We're having polite discourse, that's all.

Other forums wouldn't allow this conversation.

I have no idea what they do in the other Gretsch website. Anyone?

Another thing is that sometimes you will make a mental note of a guitar listed and then when you go back and try to find it, all you see is a sold. So you pass that by because you are looking for a specific post and spend a lot of time looking for a guitar that is no longer available. To me, that's frustrating.

I like to use ebay 'sold' as well, to check on sold items but also reverb. Don't know if it was posted here or not, but you can also check Reverb sold postings by adding &showsold=true to the end of the http of your searched item.

Personally I kind of liked the way Londonbus did it in the thread about the Stratocaster I purchased (HERE).

There's not really any information that would be useful to anyone but me, but I liked the pictures so much that I made the second one my desktop background.

I am often disappointed with threads like this when I can't see what I missed out on.

As long as the TOS are met, I don't think it's fair to question how folks use the forum.

So, this is an issue, really?

Live and let live I say, rules suck too.

Register Sign in to join the conversation