Gretsch Garage Sale

CITES ends November 26, 2019 - Official

At last they have seen some sense

CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) issued an official notification stating that the effective date for the musical instrument exemption from the Dalbergia (rosewood) permitting requirement is November 26, 2019.

The official notification can be found on page 6 at https://cites.org/sites/def... . This also contains definitions applicable to the exemption. As noted upon the approval of Annotation 15, imports and exports of finished musical instruments, finished parts, and finished accessories will NO LONGER need a CITES permit. The exception applies to all species of dalbergia except Brazilian rosewood, which remains on CITES Appendix I.

Amen to that! Thanks for posting.

...but Brazilian is still covered. Isn't that the bulk of what instruments use?

The fact Brazilian rosewood isn't included for vintage instrument is just stupid. From what we're told, a very high percentage of rosewood used in the 20th century is Brazilian.....and unless you're a wood technologist, you can't distinguished the differences. By extension, no border guard can either.

A guitar made 50 odd years ago sure makes an impact on rosewood stocks around the world, eh?? This cites BS still applies for vintage instruments it would appear.

...but Brazilian is still covered. Isn't that the bulk of what instruments use?

– NJBob

Most everyday instruments (eg. Fender, Gibson, PRS etc.) use rosewood from other sources; it is only the very top end of the market that uses Brazilian rosewood as this is a relatively rare product that is only available at a premium price.

I tried to use the link above, and I get a "page not found" error. Anyway, this is great news for the majority of instruments with Rosewood fretboards and other components. It was very idiotic to begin with, but I applaud the decision to reverse the permit requirements for musical instruments.

This CITES website link has a vague description re: exempting musical instruments containing rosewood:

Link

I tried to use the link above, and I get a "page not found" error. Anyway, this is great news for the majority of instruments with Rosewood fretboards and other components. It was very idiotic to begin with, but I applaud the decision to reverse the permit requirements for musical instruments.

– Wade H

See page 6 of the pdf document in the link below:

https://cites.org/sites/def...

Register Sign in to join the conversation