Gretsch Garage Sale

BETTIE BLONDESHELL amp by TheNocturneBrain.com, Octal tubed 6G6-B v…

The Bettie Blondeshell is out.. This is the Power section of the vintage Fender 6G6-B Blonde Bassman that Setzer has re-ignited out of obscurity (there is no secret setzer blonde, he uses a stock bassman 6G6-B), and an injection of prewar gibson tweed Octal tube in the front end.

Intro demo vid (click 1080 for HD sound)

This combo has an 8" tonetubby hemp cone alnico AND a 12" WGS Veteran (an american built Vintage 30).

Pwr Section comes w Tungsol 5881 but will accept all 6L6 pwr tubes, EL34 pwr tubes, and can handle JJ 6V6(a higher pwr'd 6V6).

To keep the same response from the phase inverter that the 6G6-B is know for, I am using a 12ax7 but the preamp tubes are 2 NOS 6SQ7 RCA metal envelope (while my supply lasts.)

Switchable master volume (pull on, defeated otherwise),

It has a two position rectifier switch for Solid state like the 6G6-B has, and Sag for the earlier tube rectified 6G6 blonde.

Mids scoop switch,

Plank/F-hole switch,

Bias test points and bias adjust.

4oh and 8ohm spkr outs

It has a two position rectifier switch for Solid state like the 6G6-B has, and Sag for the earlier tube rectified 6G6 blonde.

nice!! sounds great..the octal breakup gives it that classic western swing vibe, but power section gives it way more sonic depth...

looks killer too

bravo

cheers

Superb! Love the 'bloom' around the chords. It's distortion Jim, but not as we know it!

yes, this is a post phase inverter master volume, this aint your cargo shorts and flip flops tweed blues sound.

t, i've watched vid 3 or 4 times..really cool..hope you get one of your usual suspects to do a more country swing/40/50's jazz demo...

with a neck p90 ala jim hall and his gibby ga-50 amp, i think this amp would kill

does the classic charlie christian octal thing but cleans/tightens up and is way bolder..

cheers

Ha...'flip flop tweed sounds'. You have a way with words Tavo. How about 'shoeless shoe gazers?' I'm always amazed when guys do youtube demos with the camera set low to see the amp...and their bare feet! Ugh.

It's good to hear some rock and roll played on these amps too. They must have had a fair amount of use in studios in the 50's as many octal tube amps would have still been around alongside the new flip flop Fenders.

Plus so many demos of these amps have guys wailing away like rock gods in an eighties style. I'm guessing they think it's all Chicago blues.

Ha...'flip flop tweed sounds'. You have a way with words Tavo. How about 'shoeless shoe gazers?' I'm always amazed when guys do youtube demos with the camera set low to see the amp...and their bare feet! Ugh.

– Vince_Ray

haha! You have barefoot hippie aversion too? Put some damn shoes on when you shoot a video!

just for clarity, wasn't trying to imply that i didn't want to hear that amp rocked..but tavo handled that aspect very well...but i think this amp is worthy of broader appeal..and hope that it's brought to the attention of some of those guys who play vintage style swing/country/jazz

lookin forward to hearin tommy harkenrider with it, but i wouldn't mind hearin' tim lerch either...

cheers

just for clarity, wasn't trying to imply that i didn't want to hear that amp rocked..but tavo handled that aspect very well...but i think this amp is worthy of broader appeal..and hope that it's brought to the attention of some of those guys who play vintage style swing/country/jazz

lookin forward to hearin tommy harkenrider with it, but i wouldn't mind hearin' tim lerch either...

cheers

– neatone

I banged on the guitar this video because I keep getting complaints that its all swing and laid back stuff. At least no one said they couldnt hear me or the amp enough this round. The Blue Yeti to the macbook was me bein' lazy instead of the two mics into the Presonus studio live console to mac, but I think it worked. Next round will be close mic'ing, hopefully Tommy w his 52' ES-295. He's only 35 miles away. (Paul Pigat is in another country and Tim Lerch may as well be, he was very kind to play Barry Grez's guit through the moonshine at NAMM time, as was Paul Pigat. I love that man, he kicks the amp in the ass when he plays!) Also want Matt Codina to come over w his Gypsy Jazz guit and the stimer pickup, this should be killer for that w the speaker combo

As an old man with a broken back from carrying a baby around, I must ask about its weight!!? Btw thanks for the kind words!!!

As an old man with a broken back from carrying a baby around, I must ask about its weight!!? Btw thanks for the kind words!!!

– paul pigat

Babies destroy your body. Six years of skateboarding, another six racing mountain bikes, and four years of getting thrown around mats in jiu jitsu class never hurt as bad as getting through the toddler years. The physical therapist seems to be helpful though!

– paul pigat

I've got 4 degenerated discs in my back from years of gear schlepping but mostly from carrying around two babies. The chiropractor would warn me about carrying a kid on one side of your body without balanced weight for the other side. Got a put a few dumbells in the diaper bag :)

btw.. I put castors on all my amps. I would NEVER risk carrying an amp around. Most of the weight in the amp is from the damn transformers btwYou can always put neo speakers in.

I never found myself considering the weight of amps until recently.....that Roland blues cube is looking like the future! 35 and 40 lb amps are all I want to drag around. Can't believe I used to carry a fender twin up four flights of stairs in the wee hours. Booze helped...wouldn't dream of such behaviour now!

The cabinet covering is sick.

– Lacking Talent

I actually thought it was rather nice!

sick is better than rather

i like this new amp

cheers

Lookin for an ultimo amp for your gretsch, this is the one w a 12" inch tone tubby alnico and 8" tone tubby alnico. The best of a Blonde bassman but also low power mode, soft recto and solid state recto. Sounds excellent with planks and hollowbodies, it has to as I developed it to work on stage w my gretsch guitars, gretsch banjo and telecasters. The cab is compact but deeper than the average combo so the low end is fuller and tighter.

I dig your products, Tavo. Cool stuff!

I'll second what SuperDave said. Great innovative products in an industry where there's not much new...

Great work!

Got a price for the Bettie yet?

With my new job, I'm hoping to be in the market for one of your amps hopefully sooner than later, and the way the Canadian dollar is, I may as well just suck it up because it doesn't look like it will get better anytime soon. But now you have made my choice harder by adding this new amp. Maybe I should just get all 3....but then I would have no wife.

I'll second what SuperDave said. Great innovative products in an industry where there's not much new...

Great work!

Got a price for the Bettie yet?

– 6stringcowboy

Bettie Blondeshell combo is in production at $2750 w its 12" tonetubby alnico hempcone red and hempcone 8" duo. The 115 combo version is $2550. http://thenocturnebrain.com...

With my new job, I'm hoping to be in the market for one of your amps hopefully sooner than later, and the way the Canadian dollar is, I may as well just suck it up because it doesn't look like it will get better anytime soon. But now you have made my choice harder by adding this new amp. Maybe I should just get all 3....but then I would have no wife.

– National19

keep the wife!! cheers on the new job, I cant wait for my new job w Gretsch! ....when they call me :)

Register Sign in to join the conversation