Gretsch Garage Sale

Anyone interested in a Bell 30 (Gibson GA79-RV) amp?

I was offered a 1960’s Bell 30 stereo amp (made by Gibson, it’s their GA79-RV amp, branded “Bell.” Original owner (I think), he’s under $1,000. It’s in Flushing Queens, New York. No connection, just passing along the information.

(Great amp, hate to pass it up, but I have two already.). I can post his photos later.

Interesting amp; 2 X 10' speakers in stereo or mono; EL84 power tubes; about 15 watts per channel or 30 watts bridged. I've read that there is a dead spot in front of these amps to about 15 feet out, due to the speakers pointing out at opposite angles. If it was nearby, I'd certainly check it out.

To get a true stereo effect from a guitar, there has to be one pickup per side or a single pickup with some strings on one side and the rest on the other. Or, using electronics, some kind of delay on one side or side-to-side pitch modulation. Otherwise, it will sound the same as a mono amp with an extension speaker.

A very cool amp and the price seems fair if it is in good condition. If it was branded 'Gibson', I suspect it would be more expensive. Good luck to the lucky one who acquires it.

Here are the photos I received:

I have two of these amps, a Gibson GA79-RVT and a Bell 30 version of that same amp. Great amps. The difference with this Bell 30 amp that's for sale is that it's the reverb but not tremolo version (RV, not RVT). He may be into negotiating down a bit, but I'm pretty sure he is asking it to be picked up, not shipped.

While I don't need another one, I'm having a hard time passing it up, the price seems good (since I'm told it's in good working condition.) Hoping someone here may be interested.

My connection - the owner and I were first in contact 4 years ago, when I saw an ad for it. Last week he sent a message that it's still available. And that he only used it for recordings, and he's had it for about 50 years.

Disclaimer: I'm just the messenger, haven't seen the amp in person.

Photo 2 of 4:

– nielDa

It even has stereo handles!

Cool-looking amp. I especially like the front panel logo, it looks like an old cartoon font to me for some reason.

Those look like the original Jensen alnicos; ooolala. You should get it Paul.

That's a pretty righteous price - if I weren't so amp heavy I'd be all over it.

Well, that’s enough to give a hopeless stereo guitar junkie tormented dreams.

BUT, one can’t help but wonder, if he’s the original owner and used it only for recording...how did the tolex on the top front edges get worn off? And it could just be a lousy picture, but is the control panel rather more pitted and corroded than might be expected for its reported history?

Dan, you know these amps; how does its condition compare to other examples? And how heavy are they?

I am racking my brain about that and coming up completely empty.

If that was on my side of the ocean, I'd go after it - you don't see these any more for under $1000!

– Afire

I think the second handle that’s been added is to use while rolling it on the oversize casters that it seems to be a bit installed on the bottom

The casters make it look a bit unstable. Apparently they're really slick, too. I reckon the corners got banged up when the owner was riding it down the hallway in the recording studio, lost control, tipped and banged into the wall.

Twice.

Cool amp Love the stereo handle! That's what I thought right away but somebody beat me to it! Too bad it's so far away. You buy it Paul! Get a good deal, and when you grow tired of it you can pass it on to me! Or we could split it, each buying one half of the stereo amp and rent the other side out to each other to recoup our initial investment...or something like that....I'm still working on the details...

It’s heavy - but since stereo means it’s two mono amps you can always add another guitarist and each take a handle (!)

More details later.

The casters make it look a bit unstable. Apparently they're really slick, too. I reckon the corners got banged up when the owner was riding it down the hallway in the recording studio, lost control, tipped and banged into the wall.

Twice.

– Proteus

LOL!

very cool amp! I also love the logo.

I'm interested. Please PM me. I've got a Stereo White Falcon just waiting for this amp !!

nielDa...... Please PM me about the amp. I am very interested! Is it still available? Thanks........

– Afire

I think it makes it easier to heft it with two hands...maybe.

Hold on - I’m away for the weekend.

Still available? Please PM me with details.

I’ve been out. Hold on, updates to come...

Register Sign in to join the conversation