Gretsch Garage Sale

Anyone got?

You might want to look at Tru-Arc bridges. They come standard with select model Gretsches.

You can also get them in a number of materials and designs to fit your particular needs.

The bridge you pictured was unique to the Custom Shop Eddie Cochran Tribute, recreating the odd custom made uncompensated straight saddle that Eddie used. So, it's not a standard Custom Shop part. Do like Eddie probably did. Give a stock compensated Bigsby saddle to a machinist, and ask him to make the same thing, but a straight line.

Contact the Custom Shop. FMIC has a policy of maintaining at least a small inventory of unique parts which have been used on their guitars - to satisfy later service needs. If they kept extras of this one-model-only bridge, can't think they've ever had to replace one. What could go wrong?

If they don't have one, they'll surely know what shop made them. I'd bet the shop still has the program for their CNC milling machines, and can fix you up.

That bridge doesn't look like it started life as a Bigsby Comp - the round "pillars"at the ends appear to be of larger diameter than the ends of a Bigsby.

We (Tru-Arc) might be able to make that, but all our products begin as round bar stock, so all our tooling and jigs are made to handle that. This appears to have started as square bar stock. If we did one it would be a serious one-off, and likely prohibitively expensive.

What was it made of?

I would presume aluminum. That's what it was replacing, and it's easy to machine.

That bridge doesn't look like it started life as a Bigsby Comp - the round "pillars"at the ends appear to be of larger diameter than the ends of a Bigsby.

Agreed. I was saying you could just give a machinist the original Bisbgy saddle for reference, to spare yourself the hassle and risk of botching measurements or miscommunicating something. I've had fairly rudimentary aluminum parts like this made several times. I always just put out a craigslist ad and every time find a machinist interested is making $50-$75 in his free time.

But yeah, if the Custom Shop can hook you up, that's certainly preferable.

Have emailed them.

So, it's not a standard Custom Shop part.

'standard Custom Shop' sounds like an oxymoron but I get your point.

I always just put out a craigslist ad and every time find a machinist interested is making $50-$75 in his free time.

And that sounds about right.

If you decide to go the Tru-Arc route gimme a shout. I’m in the UK and have stock

Emailed Gretsch about obtaining custom shop parts. They replied today and said to email Fender! So I have.

Fender replied today. They said NO

Well that sucks. Sorry to hear.

If you decide to go the Tru-Arc route gimme a shout. I’m in the UK and have stock

– Deke Martin

Sent message through website.

I was digging for something else last night, and lo and behold, turns out I've unknowingly been hording Bigsby saddles. And I don't even remember what they were all for????

And I have a few more of different styles not shown. Weird.

Nope. The two compensated for a plain G can't be more than 10 or so years old. The other one might be older, but certainly nothing noteworthy.

Ed, I have what may be a vintage saddle.

How can you tell?

Register Sign in to join the conversation